CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New CBR owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR owner

Hello everyone! Forgive me for being retarded, I know nothing about bikes. My roomates bought bikes for themselves so I wanted one, and being extremely impulsive the first thing I saw in my price range I bought. It an 87, and it needs a lot of work. Usually I work on cars, so I have no idea where to start looking for bike stuff. It looks like Im going to need brakes, possibly exhaust (does the system from a 94 fit?) a new wiring harness, and Id like to have all the body panels replaced as they all look like crap. Also, is there anything I need to know about the bike, characteristics, or parts that wear fast or are prone to breaking. I need to be completey schooled about everything. I dont know how many miles are on it, so Ill probly clean out the carbs, I need to know every about this!
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Default RE: New CBR owner

Welcome to the bike world and to our forum! Well, aside from the basic and usual stuff, our bikes are known to have problems with the cam chain and cam chain tensioner. so you'd do good to replace them. Anyway, good luck and safe biking!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Well, you broughta good bike, you will be wanting a manual, have a look around the forum for a copy, otherwise, just ask with your email address and well will organise one for you.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:10 AM

Welcome, you have chosen a very good and reliable bike. I had the chance to ride my friends Blackbird yesterday, as it will be my next bike I think !! hes has 5,000 on the clock and my 92 CBR 1000 has 95,000 on her and really I thought I would want to trade up on Monday, BUT to my surprise I found the Blackbird smoother and responsive naturally but it showed me just how quick my 92 really is. Mine pops the front wheel after 7,000 revs but the blackbird didn't lift till 9,500 so enjoy your new lover, she will look after you so long as you look after her.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the welcomes, does anyone know the best places to go looking for parts? Most of the places Ive seen so far will list most parts for the 93+ CBR, how much of the new bike is like the old? Stuff like, exhaust, brakes, electrical. Thanks again

Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have 87 model too. I have been with this girl since last summer. CBRs are good bikes, and you came to the right forum. If you are looking for HONDA genuine parts, I recommend you this link http://hondapartsdirect.reachlocal.net/. And if you are looking for rinding gear, accessories, and after market parts, take a look at thishttp://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp

Good luck and God bless!

Yas

Old 04-10-2007, 01:38 AM

Welcome to the forum. There plenty of parts around and if you go up on ebay for the uk there are a few wiring looms which are priced around £5 - £10.00. As for the body panels, there a bit more rare, so if your old ones can be repaired then try that option. What ever you do, depending on your funds availiable, you will always find plenty of useful tips and sound advice from other members who may have had the same problem themselves. All the best and lets have a look at your bike sometime. Post some pics.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 04-10-2007, 01:59 AM

I have most of the fairings from what I can tell, except for the exhaust covers and stuff around that area. I was taking the bike to my house for the first time and it fell off the trailer on the way there! [:@]I was only going about 30 and I managed to get it to slide into the grass without too much damage. From what I can tell I may have to buy a new tail piece, and the seat frame is bent but I got most of it back with a hammer and some anger. It came with aftermarket exhaust so I spent most of today grinding the rust off and painting it with high temp paint. I still have to look at the rear brake rotor, find a slew of missing nuts and bolts, and get all the electrical stuff working. I turned the key on today and I had two dashboard lights, no headlight, brake light,turn signals or horn. Fun stuff.Anyway, this is her before the accident
Name:  pdC9dHM0yo5c4zbSKqCuhbH9omY8.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  18.0 KB
I have all the fairing where theyre supposed to go now, but only about 4 bolts and some plastic ties are holding them there. I figure Ill drive it the way it is in the picture, and do all the body work myself.The only things Im unsure of are how to do plastic body work, and how to bolt it all up. Both mid fairings and the bottom piece look to be in pretty bad shape, can anyone show me how they are supposed to look, on or off the body? Also, would it possible to have a service manual compiled and emailed to me?
Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15538/5CBDA61CBAE74D5B823B43AFE984BCB1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 AM

Welcome, I think you'll be real happy with your bike. I bought a brandy new '88 back in the day, but got outta riding a few years after. Just got back into riding last year. Was able to locate the exact model bike I started with, color and all, and 19 years later it still performs as I remember it when it was new.

One thing I can think of is when you're not riding is to turn the gas petcock to the "Off" position. You don't want any gas making it's way into the carbs while it's not running. I just had Honda rebuild my carbs last Fall. What a difference. Expensive, but VERY worth it. Fastest 560 lb bike I ever rode

Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 AM

heres a link for a manual...http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...ice_Manual.pdf i think its a newer model but should help. ummm id fix every small easy thing you can on the bike....and ride it. good bikes just make sure its got oil and water and gas in it .

Quick Reply: New CBR owner