CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New 1000F Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1000F Owner

Some of you may hate me for this, but aside from being a new 1000F owner, I have to say that it didn't cost me one red cent. One of the guys I work with is moving out of the country in a short period of time and gave away his Yamaha VMax and 1991 CBR 1000F (I got the CBR ).

I know absolutely nothing about this bike aside from what I've read online so far. Truth be known, I have no experience on a street bike either, but I used to do a lot of enduro riding. I'm aware of what this thing is capable of and plan on being as careful with it as I can be. I've wanted a street bike for over 10 years and this I just couldn't pass this deal up (FREE!). I'm going to be taking a motorcycle safety course and won't ride it until I've done so.

I picked it up last night. It won't start, but it tries. We think it's because it has old fuel in it. I'm going to seafoam the fuel system this week to see if I can get it running. The previous owner wanted to take it for one last ride, but was disappointed it wouldn't start. I also got a few boxes of goodies with it including 2 extra seats, a 4 to 1 header (don't know the brand), the rear rack with hardshell locking case, haynes and other manuals, a pristine new (never been used) gas tank, brake pads, new clutch, misc nuts and bolts, etc.

I hope to learn a lot about this bike and enjoy myself on it. Truth be told, I originally didn't want a sport bike, I'm more of a dual-sport/cruiser-type person, but everybody I've talked to has told me that these are great bikes no matter what your preference.

Pictures can be seen here: http://westcoastforums.com/malibu72/...ex.php?list=37

Bear with me, I may ask questions that have probably been asked hundreds of times before (I'm no stranger to automotive forums, I'm an admin on one).

Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Default RE: New 1000F Owner

Running problem. Sounds like a fueling issue. That can be checked quickly, open the air box and squirt some brake cleaner or ether towards the carbs. If she sure fires you know its your fueling system (lines, filter, carburators clogged with oldness).

How many miles are on the beast? Check the chain and tension. Change the filter and oil. Change the brake fluid (20 min job) front and rear. Change the coolant (easy drain on the pump lower left). How are the tires?

Those are the basic things for your new bike (to ensure longevity). Like mine, I only have 250 miles on it (since I bought it in the winter), and I have run into my fork seals leaking bad. I put new racetech 0.95kg springs in (the strongest they had in stock) and bought OEM fork/dust seals. I've only got 12,000 miles on the bike, so I hope that is all the problems for now.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Hello and welcome to Honda owners. You have a very nice color on it.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Nice ride. Some guys get all the luck....

Old 05-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm normally not a lucky person by any means. I have to keep looking out the window at it just to tell myself that I really got a free CBR.(Which reminds me, since I don't really have a place to keep it out of the weather yet, what do you guys recommend for motorcycle covers, right now I'm using an old tarp).

The beast has 40k on it. I believe he thew in a tensioner and oil filter in one of the boxes. Thanks for all of the maintenance suggestions! I'll be sure to do them before I ride it on the road. I'm also going to put new plugs in it too and do a K&N recharge on the air filter.

I only had about an hour to mess with it tonight, but had an exciting moment. After putting some seafoam in the tank and adding more fresh gas, after several attempts it actually started and idled! Only thing was when I twisted the throttle, it would instantly die, but it would keep starting every time. I noticed it sounded like it was 'popping' a little in the exhaust, so I figured I had a miss, but I could hear it in each pipe. With it idling, I pulled started pulling the spark plug connections one by one. #1 - No change, #2 - engine died. #3 - engine died, #4 - no change (I think that's the order, I remember pulling 2 cylinders without any change). I traced the plug wires for the two that had no change and they both go to the same ignition module. Think I have a bad one (one of the guys I talked to here at work said he's never heard of one of those failing), plugs bad? (I'm going to replace them anyway) any thoughts? I'm going to do some more checks tomorrow to see if all 4 plugs are getting spark, then I'm going to start looking at the carburators.

I used to have (and just recently sold) an acura integra, I never once had a problem with that car, so I'm familiar with the robustness of Honda products when they're taken care of

Anyway, after letting it run and warm up for a little while, I shut it off. Now it won't start at all (all plug wires are on and in the original locations), it won't even try. I wonder if I picked up some debris or something in the fuel line. The inside of the tank looks clean and rust free. I guess I'll need to check the fuel filter too.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:39 AM

Are you starting it with the choke, mine was really hard to start, but now I have the nack.
First start of the morning is with75% choke, I let it sit for a miniute or two at about 1500rpm (choke does this)
then choke off and ready to go

Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 AM

Yup, I've tried starting it with the choke. It wouln't even fire until I had the choke almost 90% off... that is... back when it WAS firing.

Oh, and I realized I forgot to answer the question about the tires. They look to be in very good condition. No flat spot or anything.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 AM

#1 - No change, #2 - engine died. #3 - engine died, #4 - no change
You need to fix this, have you download the service manual

Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 AM

I was going off of my recollection. I don't remember exactly which ones weren't firing, but I traced the wires and the ones that weren't firing were going to the same module.

I have 2 manuals that he gave me with it. I'll check them out when I work on the bike next.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 AM

So, can anybody tell me if those ignition modules are prone to failure? I'm thinking of pricing a set and just replacing them at the same time as the plugs.

I came to find out that the previous owner only paid $500 for the bike when he bought it back in Aug of 2003 and only put a little over 1k miles on it for the 4 years he owned it. I'm wondering if that's an indication of whether he had mechanical problems on it that kept him from riding it much. Of course, he had 2 other bikes as well, so maybe that helped him keep the miles off of it. Of course, I still can't complain for all the more I paid for it.

Quick Reply: New 1000F Owner