CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
^^^^^

Good to know Dub ...was that also because of the 99 Busa getting into the mix and prior to the 186 limit being put in place ?
Hey:

@ Sprock: Exactly due to the Busa coming in to play, and top speed limiters. amongst the other upgrades. also in places that have to pay annual tax on vehicle property it would be cheaper to own and in some places that test for emmissions on motorcycles 2000 is the break year.

@ trout: I have seen as much as 15 hp difference, more than once. And yes a dyna or pc can map to what you want but the stock map runs pretty good on a 99, plenty for most folks, that 7,000 RPM rush is to live for.

Dub

Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep , figured as much , 99/00 was when they clamped 'em down at the top end there
was like 8 months where it was open season

Hayabusa translated from Japanese means Peregrine Falcon, it was not an unintentional
choice of name either , since Peregrine Falcons in real life do
actually prey on Blackbirds ! .

On the same note unrestricted 1999/2000 Busa's are much sought after for
pretty much the same reason you state for the 1999 Blackbird

Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The restrictor in 6th gear on the 'Busa post 99 models can be removed or "fooled" electronically. No matter what, they are dam..ed quick anyway
Maybe you can do the same to the Blackbird ??

Old 10-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Default Black Bird & Hurricane Riding Differences

Just got back from a 1500 mile ride on my new ’03 blackbird and it is definitely a different animal from my ’93 1000F. The first thing I did when I got back was to get on my 1KF for a comparison ride and the differences were noticeable.

The black bird definitely has a more compact riding position, at 6’ 2” it borders on uncomfortable over long distances. The next most surprising thing I noticed was how much lighter the bike felt. It feels much more nimble around town and really inspires confidence turning in to tight corners. I also noticed a big difference in the breaking, I don’t know if the blackbird actually stops any faster, but it seems to take much less pressure to do it, giving it a lighter and more responsive reeling.

And then there is the power, it’s a very fast bike, a bit more powerful than the 1000F but not by that much. The black bird feels different in the way it delivers it’s power too because the engine is almost vibration free and the power builds very smoothly through the rev range and then comes on in a rush as you approach 7000. I feel like the power comes on a little earlier on the 1000F and feels a little more aggressive and cammy when it does. I find myself snapping the throttle open on the 1KF and rolling it on when I’m on the BB.

Overall I really like the blackbird but it is not at all what I thought it would be.
I was expecting a more refined highway rocket that I would use for long distance trips, while using my 1000F for around town driving, but now I think I had it backwards, the bird’s smoother part throttle power delivery, lighter steering and brakes make it feel more responsive around town, but it is no match for the 1000F’s comfort and stability on the open road.

The way I have been describing the black bird to my friends is that it feels like its 10% lighter, 10% more powerful, and 10% more compact, than the 1000F. Not an amazing difference in any one category but when you put them all together it feels much more like a modern sport bike. I now describe the blackbird as a “SPORT touring“ bike and the 1000F as a “sport TOURING” ride.

BTW if you add an exhaust and power commander (like I did) it pretty much eliminates any difference in power between model years.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks

this is what i was lookinf for , anyway the one i looked at was sold but I may find another one, i would like to keep both as i really like the 1000f, and my first gen is lighter than gen 2 ioe 3 by 30 pounds or more i think and power delivery is a bit different from the gen2 or 3.

i'll keep looking...

Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mdtine. Great review / comparison mate!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 AM

Hey:

@mdtine, I thinks that's a very accurate and honest comparison of the 2 bikes couldn't be any more informative than that.

@ DragonCBR, hope you find what you are looking for in an XX, but to me a bore kit and porting/valve job puts you right at that level of power, a newer set of front brakes from like a F4i grafted on to the front, and a new rear Adj shock with a set of 90-91 forks with progressive springs and a gold valve kit and you are right there with a more comfortable bike. Then take the left over money and find another CBR1KF or CBR900RR for cheap to ride daily or whatever. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 10-29-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:05 AM

Well

There is still one i am looking for, of course if I buy the blackbird , my beloved 1000f won,t be sold, I went for a ride and love the power delivery , the sound of the engine ( supertraap 8 disks), comfort, the only thing i am worried about my 1000f is that it is nowat 148000kms, of course it is not burning oil but might need and overall in the long run and will the parts be available?

Also would like to improve the lighting part of it at night...

Also trying to find hard luggage and a rack is no small feat..

Cbr1988 do the calipers of the F4I and forks fits right off th shelve?

Last edited by DragonCBR; 10-29-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Also trying to find hard luggage and a rack is no small feat..
No way

Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by DragonCBR
Well

There is still one i am looking for, of course if I buy the blackbird , my beloved 1000f won,t be sold, I went for a ride and love the power delivery , the sound of the engine ( supertraap 8 disks), comfort, the only thing i am worried about my 1000f is that it is nowat 148000kms, of course it is not burning oil but might need and overall in the long run and will the parts be available?
I have a 88 CBR1000F with over 170,000 Miles on it and the only Engine work /maintenace, other than routine weekly, monthly, bi-annual has been Modifications so no worrys there. The only cam chain work was putting a newer 3rd gen one in.

Also would like to improve the lighting part of it at night... hids Bi xenon, with dual beams help here or mod to the newer 90 body work if you like it.

Also trying to find hard luggage and a rack is no small feat.. Givi, Krauser just take some mods of another kit to work.

Cbr1988 do the calipers of the F4I and forks fits right off th shelve?

89-91 CBR/VFR 41 mm cartridge forks slide right in with chain case mod which you may have already done, an adapter mount is needed to mount the F4/RC51 calipers to the forks and come up on ebay from time to time for $55-125 USD plus you need the calipers but it is a big improvement, and worth the money to me. I also like the 89+ swingarm or a modded CBR1100XX fitted to the rear.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 10-29-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Need your opinion