CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Need Help! What is this piece and what does it do

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! What is this piece and what does it do

OK so I'm in the process of rebuilding this bike that my father says I can have if I can get it to run. It has a massive electrical problem though.

So here is my problem. There is a piece on the right side rear of the bike that has a 30 amp fuse connected to a metal cyclinder. The fuse is in a green plug in and the other in is a pink colored connection that connects to it.

What does this wire connection control? I ask this because the pink side of mine is completely melted and I believe it is either a starter relay of some type or light control for possibly the blinkers.

Don't have access to a digital camera right now so I can't give pics but I can idenify the part if anybody has any idea.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:53 AM

It will be the starter relay. If you follow the wiring, one side goes to the starter, the other thru the main fuse to the battery.
You can get a manual HERE to check. You can bypass the relay to check starter but it sounds like something has been drawing a lot of current. Can you tell us more about what you have done it? or have you just got the bike like this.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the 30Amp main fuse, and starter relay (both in same place.)
I recall someone else had this problem (maybe Puma 690) and I think Dean0 went around and helped him rewire it.
Do a search under the history section.

I have wiring diagrams if you need them. (sometimes the workshop manuals don't)

Without the main fuse and relay, the bike won't even turn over, much less start..................
As the boys have said - find the source of the problem before attempting anything else........
or you may have a fire or totally fried electrics on your hands. Not good.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 AM

Yep as above its the relay. The RR puts out a ****load of current which corrodes the terminals which means the same current has to flow through a smaller area which corrodes it even more.

Thats why when they go, they tend to go rather quickly.

You can buy plenty of aftermarket ones off Ebay etc quite cheap. Make sure to re-do the terminals on the wires as well then cover in electrical grease to prevent further problems.

Oh and if you hunt around Car Audio places you can get gold plated spade terminals which wont corrode.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Wow thanks for the quick replys guys. This bike hasn't ran since I've seen it some years ago. The original owner used to race this bike on the streets of Chicago. It was a "dead man" installed in the case of crashing the bike that it would just shut down. So the key assembly is gone, which may be a problem. But this bike sat for over 10 years because the original owner crashed it too many times and then the bike sat until it was given to my dad who never had time for it decided to give it to me.

So when I get a chance I will try to buy each of the connections and measure the draw through them with a volt meter and see what happens.