CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Nearly there... maybe

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nearly there... maybe

Posted a couple of months ago about being knocked off my CBR. Had a CBF1000 until a couple of weeks ago, when BLD took their bike back and left mine at the repairer.
Must say, BLD have been excellent, picking my bike up the morning after the accident and leaving me a Bandit 650, replacing the Bandit 650 with the CBF as soon as I asked, etc.
Dave at Kingston Motorcycle Centre has been really busy but has got my CBR through her MOT... but found a crack in the right side trhat leaks oil, not sure exactly where but from his description it sounds like the crank case cover. He said he might be able to get it welded up if he can't source a replacement. Anyone know if Honda/David Silver have them?
I've had some money for the bike (which was written off as uneconmical to repair) from the other insurer, have received a valuation for 'personal injury', and am about to claim for replacement helmet, body armour etc.
In the meantime I've been getting the train to Waterloo and riding a 'Borisbike' to the office. They might look stupid and they are really heavy but it's excellent to be able to jump on a bicycle, ride across the city, and then leave it without worrying about it getting nicked.
I might just vote for Boris this time! (for non-UK readers I'm referring to Boris Johnson, mayor of London)

Old 03-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good old boris will be returning to london in 2 weeks good luck with your search i'm pretty certain ebay will have what u require, I have bought many spares for my cbr 1000f and my gsxr750 on there and have been very happy with price and condition

Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Nice to know you're nearly back in the saddle.

I'll keep an eye out for the crank case cover. As stated e-bays a good place to start and there are agencies where you can register and they'll scoure all the scrap dealers in the country, costs money, but might be worth a shot if you have no luck elsewhere.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM
hmm

Been to see my mechanic today - he's got Honda to order the part from Japan.
It's the right crankcase cover, it's got a crack that goes from the edge to the centre then a bit more. Must have been caused when the bike hit the ground - I guess the plastic protector did its job protecting the fairing but not the engine!