CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

my only ride please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

And No 2 is the slowest. I'm still not entirely sure that that would be the cause of your problem. If one was hanging up and dropping really slowly.........perhaps then.

Ok, next lot of questions.

How old is the air filter? You have been running with the airbox connected/filter in? Sometimes they can do funny things if they are not connected.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k&N after market

this came up a lot i took the added step of taking rtv and making a small bead around the edge to seal it in and checked for holes in the air box too

and yes everything hooked up i also read that it likes to do crazy stuff when they aren't sealed well and resonating properly

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-18-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, would it be possible for you to take a video of it running with the slow idle drop or does it take too long to happen?

Cheers, SB

Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 AM

in the pm yeah, my V&H is a little noisy for 2AM been there cops came not fun....

i will make a video of what it does while driving and while on idle
and before and after carb sync im crossing my fingers this will fix idle

cause for some reason and you might understand why better when you see her run but they seem like different problems and im trying to tackle it with that in mind if its not in the carbs what else causes bad idle
1 week spark
2 valves in need of adjustment
3 or out of sync carbs
and so on

what causes rev hang and sluggish rpm drops
1 in short things in the upper half of the carbs such as throttle needle and slides

and even the fact that ive cleaned all this stuff should of had some effect positive or negative its constant no matter what ive done with the carbs.......what am i missing in this grand picture???

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-18-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Yup 2 AM is a little late for loud pipes.

If you can get a video tomorrow that will be great. It'll give time for some of the great CBR1000F minds on the forum to read through our thoughts thus far - and contribute their own wisdom.

Now go to bed!

Cheers, SB

Old 09-18-2013, 01:56 AM

im out of school and off work tomorrow i mean today so its a day for her but i hear ya i dragged through that last post and this one

have fun at field day sb keep your intelligent face on and hopefully the great minds of the F section will have fired some neurons while i catch some ZZZZZZZ"S and we can figure this out tomorrow

thanks for your time by the way i appreciate all the help and timely responses

Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM

my battery is shot my father used my battery to crank for days on his damn R1 and now it barely rolls the bike over even after a 4 hour trickle charge and my charger keeps saying its full and kicking off so i guess im S.O.L.
tell my new battery gets here probably wont show up tell Saturday got the gel battery recommended on forum so should last a little while

i read a weak or low battery does funny things so maybe this will help a little

in my down time im going to clean the carbs again and go for a triple check hopefully its something dumb ive missed the whole time

and yes i have checked the butterfly's for wobble and that they are smooth

Old 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM

i lied i guess found the jump starter got it started let it warm up idles better with the boots off like all the idle issues now gone so guess i need to clean the air filter out or replace it though its a k&N

anyways the first rev up is with idler set at 1150 ish RPM and the rest of the revs are with it set at 800 closer to 900 and at 9 it acted a lot crisper on the drop than with the air box connected

would show you a while in motion but the battery is fried and im living on the jump and if she dies thats a horrible push home (huge hill right past the bottom of my driveway)

IMG 07811] - YouTube

and it would drop a little slower set at 9 while moving

i dont think its all that sluggish at 900 rpm (now with airbox disconnected) but thats still not right cause its not posible to idle at 900 or at least mine cant

i also found out today that the bike wasn't re-jetted when the pipe was put on could this be an issue??? its its the common V&H ssr2 full system 4 into 2 into 1

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-18-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the video,

A couple of things.

Firstly - it does not sound as though your bike is running clean on all 4 cylinders. Could be a spark/coil issue.

Secondly. Now that I see on the video how the revs hang then drop, I think we may have been chasing our tails a bit.

My next course of action would be to look at the cable runs for the throttle and make sure that 1. the twist grip isn't full of crud and sticking on it's return journey to closed. 2. The cables to the carbies are free running and lubricated.

Have a read of this ------> https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...ension-142213/

This from Shadow in another thread as well

"Fitting a stronger return spring would help but shouldn't be necessary if your cables are lubed right.
Spray some lube on your carb springs too - sometimes that helps"

Let us know how you go.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^^^

Agree with Seb - you have one cyl not firing - my guess would be a blocked float valve/screen and or a blocked pilot jet.

Easy way to figure that out is let the bike cool completely

then start and see which downpipe warms up last/least !

Also good idle rpm is 1200 to 1250 imo

And since your first post indicates carb cleaning done already - then check your tank for crud that can keep fouling your carbs !
Maybe put an inline filter in to help prevent that going forward if you find this is happening

Quick Reply: my only ride please help