CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Mono Shock adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 PM
dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mono Shock adjustment

ORIGINAL: GILL
Or it could be the 190/55-17 tire on the back. I think the recommended tire from Honda is a 170.... Could there be alot of handling difference with a bigger tire on the back??
Yes, 170 isHonda's recommendedtire even though the 5 1/2" rim width is considered the optimum width for a 180 by all tire manufacturers, with a 170 considered acceptable.

And yes, anything larger will definitely steer heavier. I run a 180 on mine but only because I use Pirelli Diablo Corsa's which are only available in 180 or larger.The 190 I would expect would be even worse but never tried one.

The 170 steers much lighter and the rider can accomplish the light bar feel in a corner at most civil road speeds with just upper body lean to the inside. The 180steers heavierand to get the light bar feel it requiresa movement of your butt to the inside at street speeds that should not require that.

On the track it's fine because you're running extreme enough that you'removing your butt over anyway but on the road just street riding, it might be a nuisance to most and it's not necessary with the recommended size until you're getting to law breaking speeds. It becomes obvious why Honda put the 170 on and not the 180.If the Diablo Corsa was made in a 170, that's what I'd run.And if I buy a sport tour tire for a long trip I get a 170.

Also, excessive rear sag will steer heavier. So will a worn tire, flat spotted in the middle. You might have a couple of things working against you. Hope that helps.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:16 AM

[hr]

[blockquote]quote:

BTW, Rodger, what is the "official" colour name of the yellow/green scheme on your CBR? I'm trying to match up the paint on my bike and I'm finding it difficult to find a match.

Cheers
[/blockquote]

HiGill, here's the correct black and grey colors for your '95 model (same as on '96 models):

http://www.colorrite.com/CRPLfactory...imageField.y=8

I haven't used them yet (fortunately not needed at the moment), but in another thread JeffB hadsome experience withColorite paint and gave them a high recommendation...
https://cbrforum.com/m_467435/tm.htm

The remaining yellow coloris the stickers. I don't have the bike near me at the moment, but I know the front left and right stripes running from the base of the windscreen down the sides of the headlamp are peel-offs (on my bike, probably same on yours), and I think all the others appeared to be stickers under the clear coat (definitely the tank). For these stickers, no paint is available...the stickers would have to be replaced, if you desire. Easy with the peel offs, for the the others, I don't know just how that's done. Here's a link to see all the OEM stickers for your bike:

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fic...&fveh=3024
Click on "stripes95-96" from the drop down menu at the top of this page. (I'm not recommending this site, just using their diagram).

The "official" color code,as designated by Honda, is NH1. It's located on a little sticker under your seat, left side of frame.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 AM

Well I have a few scratches on the left faring and I wanted to just touch-up the sticker with some paint. Maybe not a good idea, but how hard would it be to remove an old sticker and replace it with a new one. Does using a hairdryer help with removing the old sticker?

Thanks for your information on the rear tire Dad. So what your saying is you would recommend going with the 180 instead of the 170 for everyday driving. I dont reallygo to the track, all my driving is secondary roads for the most part. Also, I was thinking about going with the Michelin Pilots road and street. Any thoughts on these? I've also heard good reviews on the Contential tires for touring.

thanks for the parts lookup Roger, very handy althought scary to see what Honda wants for some of those replacement parts!! $750.00 for a replacement radiator....yikes!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Well I have a few scratches on the left faring and I wanted to just touch-up the sticker with some paint. Maybe not a good idea, but how hard would it be to remove an old sticker and replace it with a new one. Does using a hairdryer help with removing the old sticker?

thanks for the parts lookup Roger, very handy althought scary to see what Honda wants for some of those replacement parts!! $750.00 for a replacement radiator....yikes!
Gill, I haven't attempted to actually remove any stickers from my bike, but it appearsthe two peel-offs on the front at the headlight area would come off easily. I lifted up avery small corner of one a few weeks ago, and pressed it back on. I think I could have easily removed those two, had I wanted, without a problem. So I'm assuming other stickers not under the clearcoat should also be easy, if you're very careful. Don't know if it's ok to use heat on the plastics, or what the process would be for getting off stickers under the clearcoat for replacement, and then redoing the clearcoat. Hopefully, someone with some more paint knowledgecan help you out here.

The cheapest place for OEMreplacement parts that I know of (thanks to idodirt), is servicehonda.com. I've used them already for some small stuff (air filter, washers, etc.)and they were very quick. I haven't looked, but I'll bet the radiatorthere isat least$100.00 less than the site I used for the sticker examples. Still, like you said....yikes!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Fortunatly, My bike didnt come with the two yellow stickers in the front faring. I think they look a bit goofy personally, but thats just me. Could be where the bike is from Canada it didnt originally come with them. If I did have them, I would have removed them anyways. Here's a link to some pics of anyones interested.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...p;linkid=link4

I have since repainted the exhaust as it was in dire need of it. Had a few storage problems...lol

Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gill, I've just started running a pair of Michelin Road 2's and have done about 400 K's on them so far. I must say I'm impressed - they feel exactly like the Bridgestone BT021's, and were a good bit cheaper. I don't know how long they will last compared to the 021's which gave me 13500 K's front and back. ( I run the front until the cornering goes off, not until the tread wears out.... They have ridges on the edges in front when I chuck them off)

Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
dad

Thanks for your information on the rear tire Dad. So what your saying is you would recommend going with the 180 instead of the 170 for everyday driving.
Actually no. I would stay with the 170 unless you were choosing to use a more track oriented tire. Sounds like you aren't so I would stay 170. Given the choice of a 170, that's what I run.

Sorry, but in an attempt to detail my experience as thoroughly as possible I just made it confusing.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 AM

Shadow I've done 4000 miles on my MP Road 2s and the rear is like new still. Front wearing a bit quicker but still doing a grand job.....

Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 PM

Thanks Dad for your thorough explanations - I will certainly heed your advice.