CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Metzeler Z4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metzeler Z4?

Hi All

Has anybody ever used Metzeler Z4 on the CBR 1000 F before? I am having searched all the threads but can't find anything on it. Could find heaps on the Z6. I am gonna change my Michelin Pilot Sport to the Z4. I know its an older technology tyre than the Z6 and also its a sports touring tyre. I been using Bridgestone battlelax 014 before the Pilot sports and they all wear out so fast in the middle.

I have a 93 CBR 1000 F.

Would appreciate some comments on it thanks

Old 11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Default RE: Metzeler Z4?

Those were on my bike when I bought it this summer. Bike had 37k when he put them on and I replaced them at 45k w/ 1mm tread left on both. They were smooth riding with good traction but they don't come in stock size of 170/60 he had to use 180/55 which I believe isnt as quick turning. Unless you're getting a great deal there are better choices. I replaced them with Avon Azaros and it's like a different bike - yeah I know they're new compared to used up, but the difference in turn in and sure-footedness is totally night/day - I will go to the new Avon Storms when these wear out.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:29 PM

Not very sure they have Avon Azaros here in Malaysia but I'll check it out. The next option is Bridgestone 020 which is also a sports tourer tyre. Made in Thailand. I am using a 190/50 in the rear.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: madkawa

Not very sure they have Avon Azaros here in Malaysia but I'll check it out. The next option is Bridgestone 020 which is also a sports tourer tyre. Made in Thailand. I am using a 190/50 in the rear.
The 020 where good when they came but are now surpassed by the Z6's in every aspect. The good'ol Pilot Road are known to last very long, probably better than Pilot Sport of you want high mileage. I have found that Z6's, as other tyres, becomes quite slippery when its cold. I guess thats not a to big problem where you are :-)

The use of a 190 mm tyre on a 5.5" rim is not recommended since the profile is somewhat ruined, the bike turns better with a 180 and is safer when the going gets tuff. http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...206_tire_size/

Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM

I'm currenly using Z6 and I only have a few rides left and am seriously looking at the latest bridgestone in the hope that I might get some better performance with road grip as at the moment I'm struggling to get any heat into the tyres with the **** end slipping around, not much fun coming off a roundabout looking like I'm on a speedway oval trying to loose the BMW, haha

Old 11-12-2006, 03:41 AM

currently running z4's and to be honest they are the best suited tyres to my bike that i have found yet. yes, you do need to use an oversize back but the profile and roundness of the tread on the wheels seems to compliment the bike very very well. i noticed little or no difference in cornering compared to the avons, arrowmax and bridgestone (all proper size) but what i did notice is the exceptional traction in the wet which none of the others offered.
these tyres came out oem on quite a few sports bikes, with mixed opinions, but as a sports tourer i will vouch for them any day.

add to that the funky tread pattern and i cant see why they werent built specifically for the cbr1kf!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:47 AM

Checked that Avon Azaros not available here in Malaysia. :-( You guys in the states are real lucky to have a variety of accessories and real BIG cycle shops.

R1000, thanks for the article, Yes I did read the article from the link. It's real interesting. However just a thought, the F4i is a lighter and higher bike than the cane with a shorter wheel base. I wonder if oversize tyres in the case of 1000F make a difference in cornering or will I loose top end speed/stability when I shift down to 180/55? I just hear a lot of different opinions in regards to this oversize issue.

Yeah I found the PILOT SPORTS really good when doing corners as they grip very well but they wear out really quick in the middle.

Anyway after reading more, I think the Z6 is a better choice so I will change to that depending on the pricing difference.

The front tyre is worned out more on the left side and it is causing the front handles to WOBBLES furiously when I am slowing down and taking my hand of the bars.

Hey jOel, have you tried the Z6 before? and do you feel any difference in the handling between 180/55 and the 190/50?

cheers

Old 11-12-2006, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: madkawa

R1000, thanks for the article, Yes I did read the article from the link. It's real interesting. However just a thought, the F4i is a lighter and higher bike than the cane with a shorter wheel base. I wonder if oversize tyres in the case of 1000F make a difference in cornering or will I loose top end speed/stability when I shift down to 180/55? I just hear a lot of different opinions in regards to this oversize issue.

Frankly I don’t know at all but my guess is that putting a 190 on a 5.5" rim, supposed for a 180/55 or 170/60 tyre, is not a major disadvantage if you are not living on the edge where things has to be optimized as much as possible. However, what definitely concerns me is that the guys at Sportrider Magazine wrote that using a 190 tyre on a 5.5 rim gives the feeling of a flat worn tyre. If that is correct, we all know the very unpleasant feeling, and how the bike appears to have got a new suspension just by putting a new tyre on of the same brand and size. I would consider trying the recommended size next time (180) to find out the difference to 190's on a 5,5 rim. Please report your findings if you change size. The optical difference between 180 and 190 is almost neglectible if the rim size is the same, one will get layed about the same time with both of them

Old 11-12-2006, 01:31 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Honda recommended size for the Cane is 170/60 - it's the Bird that's 180/55. I've heard time and time again not to go more than 1 size difference than recommended, so I would definately not go 190.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: chesthing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Honda recommended size for the Cane is 170/60 - it's the Bird that's 180/55. I've heard time and time again not to go more than 1 size difference than recommended, so I would definately not go 190.
You are right, but I was referring to the Cane. I did use two sets of 180 on my Cane, and found it working perfectly good since that is an acceptable alternative to 170, and the 180's are much easier to get for a good price and there is less new development on 170-tyres. Almost all modern 600 CC bikes also use 180/55 on 5.5" rims so it is a well-proven combination. The Cane (from -89) and the Bird have the same rim size, 5.5 ". I also totlally agree to avoid 190's which are designed for 6" rims. Its not uncommon that racers step down from 190 to 180 on 6" rims, it is said to give better flip-flop response but there will be less rubber for corner exists needed on high power engines. I dont know if it is the reduced weight or higher profile on 180's that is dominant for the quicker steering response, maybe both.

Quick Reply: Metzeler Z4?