CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Maxxis Sport Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maxxis Sport Touring

So I fitted my new tyres, Maxxis sport touring £145 delivered off e-bay.

Was a bit dubious as they were so cheap, but after scrubbing them in this morning I've put a 100 miles of twisty stuff on them and they perform really well. No complaints, conditions were a bit damp to start with, with a few puddles but once things had dried out I could really lean her over in some nice sweeping bends

Remains to be seen how long they'll last and if the rear will square off, but I'm pleased with them so far especially at the price!

Bike has just over 49,100 miles on her now, so if I remember I'll update this thread for anyone who is interested

As a foot note, tyres never seem to last that long for me, they only ever last a season at most and they were the PR2's

Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats good man, I love seeing threads on inexpensive tires. Always helps us budget riders out. Good luck and keep us informed(plus you got any pictures?)

Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what's the UK pound sterling rate to the US Dollar these days anyway ! ??

Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM

Hi Hawk I have been using maxis tyres on my other bike for the last six years. I have to say that I have been very happy with thier performance. On the goldwing I have found them to stick to the road better than the others I have tried and they have given me very similar miles. Will be interesting to see how they hold up on the cbr as mine will need new tyres later this year. Keep us informed.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 AM

OK update on the Maxxis tyres.

Only covered about 600 miles since fitting, just been too busy to ride as much as I'd like. But after 600 miles there is nothing to report.

They seem to me to perform just as well as the Bridgestone 020's and the Michelin PR2's I've used before. Though about half the miles have been pootling into town, there's no sign of them squaring off, they feel good when blasting around the twisties as well.

I don't know if the ultimate grip is as good as other brands, that type of riding is beyond my capabilities and a thing to discover on the track, but for road use, the only difference so far is the price.

Time will tell how long they last, but at about £50 cheaper than other sets of tyres, I'm very pleased so far.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by sprock
so what's the uk pound sterling rate to the us dollar these days anyway ! ??
$1= £0.6
£145 = $233

Old 07-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Karlo,

Your second video is set to private. Can you make it public so we can hear it please.

Hawk, good to hear the tyres are doing what they're supposed to. Damned good price.
Despite the love hate relationship I'm having with my current Dunlop Q2's I'm still getting some exciting riding out of them.
It's interesting to know what rubber works specifically with the 1KF's.
Shadow put out a theory that some of the more modern tyres, especially those which are more of an off-shoot from track development may not be quite so well suited to heavier bikes such as ours. I think there's more to this theory than meets the eye.
For most of us there's no way of knowing this until you've shelled out the dough, scrubbed 'em up and found handling problems under various circumstances.
The bottom line- Don't just look for a review of a tyre, look for info about a tyre fitted to a bike like yours.
I'd still love to cop a ride out with you some time, catch a beer and chew the cud for a while.
Keep the thread going mate. Tyre reports are always useful.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Just a quick up-date.

Covered about 1500 miles on these tyres now. They never had the most sporting profile, but then they don't pretend to be a sporty tyre, and turn in well enough. They are wearing well and do just about everything I ask for in the dry. I'm not really a wet weather rider, but when I have on the rare occasion ridden in the wet, they have felt fine (though I never push it in the wet, I'm a chicken).

IN fact grip wise, they feel indistinguishable from the PR2's and BT020's I've had in the past and are quite confidence inspiring.

Over all I'm happy with the Maxxis tyres and will consider them again when they eventually wear out, maybe opting for one of their sportier type tyres.

Maybe these :-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAXXIS-DIAMOND-120-70-x17-180-55-x17-TYRES-FREE-TSHIRT-/370602631186?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5649a 36012

Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have they squared of much on the crown yet Hawk ?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
...Over all I'm happy with the Maxxis tyres and will consider them again when they eventually wear out, maybe opting for one of their sportier type tyres...
Thanks for the update.

I ran a set of Maxxis tires on my RC51 for quite awhile w/ excellent results & very good mileage. I figure if they're good enough for RC51 twisties, they'll suit for others. ;-)

Quick Reply: Maxxis Sport Touring