CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

lost spark?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 03:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
You'll have power on both terminals of coils because it's ground-switched circuit. When switch is open, there's no current flow and no voltage-drop. In this circuit, input and output terminals of bulb is exactly same as battery-voltage:

When switch is closed, then current flows and voltage on ground side of circuit drops to zero (supply side still at battery-voltage). Can only see that action with oscilloscope as grounding interval of spark-unit too short to measure with anything else.

Can also use solenoid-light to check for grounding-pulses from spark-unit. It has duration-extending circuity to keep light lit long enough for human eyes to see. Not as useful as oscilloscope, but very handy tool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028QGU6C/
Hopefully you didn't make any alterations to circuits & wiring due to low battery. If you've replaced any parts, put ALL original parts back on bike. DON'T do ANYTHING else until battery is at least 13.5v and does not drop below 12v when cranking.
I put 2 new coils on because the original were out of spec , but i don't think they're gonna work either because they're way out of spec and they're brand new , but aftermarket... They only Ohm out to 12 with or without the plug wires being attached...

Old 09-14-2023, 11:28 PM

You'll have power on both terminals of coils because it's ground-switched circuit. When switch is open, there's no current flow and no voltage-drop. In this circuit, input and output terminals of bulb is exactly same as battery-voltage:

When switch is closed, then current flows and voltage on ground side of circuit drops to zero (supply side still at battery-voltage). Can only see that action with oscilloscope as grounding interval of spark-unit too short to measure with anything else.

Can also use solenoid-light to check for grounding-pulses from spark-unit. It has duration-extending circuity to keep light lit long enough for human eyes to see. Not as useful as oscilloscope, but very handy tool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028QGU6C/
Hopefully you didn't make any alterations to circuits & wiring due to low battery. If you've replaced any parts, put ALL original parts back on bike. DON'T do ANYTHING else until battery is at least 13.5v and does not drop below 12v when cranking.
No no , I know the importance of keeping thing's factory , I'm actually a certified Motorcycle Mechanic , i just don't like electrical problems especially with no manual to go by. I figured there'd be several people with knowledge of these old but wonderful bike's and don't get Me wrong everyone that has taken the time to chat with Me has been knowledgeable and helpful in guiding Me to the problem for the most part... I just wish I had a manual to go by with an accurate wiring diagram in it...

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 12:30 AM
Received 388 Likes on 350 Posts

Ok, you're on track with ignition-coils. Just need to find some that's within spec. Should
bench-test them 1st to make sure they work.

Once you've got more than 11v powering spark-unit when cranking, it should be functional. Connect 'noid light to both terminals of each coil and verify it blinks, showing triggering signals are coming from spark-unit. If not, yeah it may really be bad.

Be careful about used units. 1987 had some bad ones. Seems to have fixed by 1988 and there's no reports of them going bad. But they have same part#, so might not know which year you're getting.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2023, 02:51 AM

Ok, you're on track with ignition-coils. Just need to find some that's within spec. Should
bench-test them 1st to make sure they work.

Once you've got more than 11v powering spark-unit when cranking, it should be functional. Connect 'noid light to both terminals of each coil and verify it blinks, showing triggering signals are coming from spark-unit. If not, yeah it may really be bad.

Be careful about used units. 1987 had some bad ones. Seems to have fixed by 1988 and there's no reports of them going bad. But they have same part#, so might not know which year you're getting.

Good luck!
Thanks dannoxyz I appreciate your info and your time , I also found that most of the reason I wasn't gettin full battery voltage to most of the connections was due to corrosion at the starter solenoid connector and the main fuse , still doesn't get the voltage it shows at the battery but much closer than it was , the battery is a couple years old but I've got a 10 amp battery charger hooked up to it while testing... I replaced the coils but they're aftermarket and still not sparking so I'm gonna try the original coils and see what happens... thanks again and if You can think of anything else feel free to message anytime !! 😊

Old 09-15-2023, 11:17 AM

You're most welcome!

Bench test coils by themselves. Otherwise bad wiring may prevent good ones from firing. You'd never know they were good.

NO!!! Don't fry battery with auto-charger! Up to 1a max with multi-stage smart-charger. Desulfate mode really revives old batteries.
Amazon Amazon

Use Deoxit to clean corrosion off terminals.
Amazon Amazon

Want to get to where with key ON/kill=RUN, you pretty much get same voltage at coils as from battery. Damn Honda and their low-spec wiring with unsealed connectors bare-brass terminals that corrode! Causes all sorts of problems with power circuits.

Last edited by dannoxyz; 09-15-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:33 AM

You're most welcome!

Bench test coils by themselves. Otherwise bad wiring may prevent good ones from firing. You'd never know they were good.

NO!!! Don't fry battery with auto-charger! Up to 1a max with multi-stage smart-charger. Desulfate mode really revives old batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-...dp/B07W46BX31/

Use Deoxit to clean corrosion off terminals.
https://www.amazon.com/DeoxITLiquid-...dp/B0015A5AAY/

Want to get to where with key ON/kill=RUN, you pretty much get same voltage at coils as from battery.
See that's where i thought i was doin alright with the 10 amps since it's a 14 ah battery ...i really am illiterate when it comes to electrical crap unless I have a full understanding of how the circuit works and i have no idea on this one apparently... I did bench test the new coils and only got 12 ohms from plug wires and 3 ohms at the connectors... The stator coils test correctly by themselves but when I connect them to the spark unit I have continuity to ground , is that the way it's supposed to do ?

Old 09-15-2023, 12:12 PM

Sending 10a through battery would fry and destroy it. With lead-acid, you want to charge at 1/10th of capacity, or 1.4a max in this case. Even better is multi-mode charging with desulfation phase 1st. Then pulse-charging, maintenance and long-term storage modes really alleviates having to worry about battery.

Bench test coils by making them spark. Use spare battery or charger as power supply.

1. connect plug wire to coil and insert plug at other end

2. ground case of spark plug to -neg terminal of battery

3. connect alligator test-leads to each primary terminal of coil

4. connect one end of test-lead to +pos coil-terminal

5. with other test-lead end, repeatedly tap and release from -neg battery-terminal

Do you see bright-blue spark at plug???

Last edited by dannoxyz; 09-16-2023 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:18 PM

Sending 10a through battery would fry and destroy it. With lead-acid, you want to charge at 1/10th of capacity, or 1.4a max in this case. Even better is multi-mode charging with desulfation phase 1st. Then pulse-charging, maintenance and long-term storage modes really alleviates having to worry about battery.

Bench test coils by making them spark:

1. connect plug wire to coil and insert plug at other end

2. connect alligator test-leads to each primary terminal of coil

3. connect one end of test-lead to +pos coil-terminal

4. with other test-lead end, repeatedly tap and release from -neg coil-terminal

Do you see bright-blue spark at plug???

Ok cool , I'll try that ... I didn't know that could be done , Thanks a ton and I'll let You know what happens !! 😁

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 03:39 AM

sorry, i left out step of grounding case of plug. Please review procedure above.

Last edited by dannoxyz; 09-16-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:53 PM

sorry, i left out step of grounding case of plug. Please review procedure above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc941J0wh0Y
It's all good Brother I figured ot would need to be grounded as that's how it works...lol The original coils didn't spark but might not have been grounded good the aftermarket coils fired but not from the bike

Quick Reply: lost spark?