CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

a little help with bars for 96cbr1000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a little help with bars for 96cbr1000?

ive been researchng this (which is how i got here, great forum). Ive got a 96 cbr1000 that ive turned into my sport touring machine......give tall screen, givi luggage, shift kit, vh pipe, sargent seat...etc.

so ive been thinking how much better this bike would be with the handlebars sorted. I was originally leaning towards genmar, but it just doesnt seem like 3/4" rise is going to make all that much difference to me. Heli's are hard to find (plus expensive) and most of the other adjustable clip ons are hight to (profli).

soooooooo upon further investigation i ran across the posts talking about using vfr750 bars. Now the only place ive found them so far is on ukebay (im in the states). Before i pay to get them here and find out theyre all wrong, just wanted to get some feedback.
1)93-96cbr fork size 41mm.....90-97 vfr750 is 41mm.....so these are the only ones that would work for me?
2)how much of a difference are the vfr bars....ive heard theyre like 1 1/2" back and 1" up too.
3)does it matter if its a uk bike? im assuming 90-97 vfr is the same worldwide?
4)has anybody done this particular swap? howd it go? happy with it?

thanks guys for any help you can give me here......

Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The early VFR bars are the only ones that will fit straight on, as far as I know, and they will be a much cheaper alternative than the Genmar conversion, or any others - you could ask Pacojoseph for a pic of his bars, which aren't VFR's but look very good................
You'd be surprised how much difference 3/4 inch makes
And yes all the bikes are the same worldwide..........

Old 07-01-2009, 02:33 PM

pacojoseph has the profi bars. I bought them on ebay years ago for under $100 used. I think they're great, especially for low speed, stop and go city riding- which is what I do the most. I first considered the genmars until I realized what they were- simply spacers that go under the bar clamps. You can get the same effect (and also see if 3/4 inch makes much difference) by simply raising your bars up 3/4 inch on the fork tubes, making sure that you torque the bar clamps down before riding. I tried this when I first got my bike without any problems, but it just didn't make that much of a difference to me, so I then bought the telefix profis. As to the price of the profis, they can be found new for $150 plus shipping, which is a lot cheaper than the helibars. See http://www.spec2.com/clips.html

Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Scottycoyote, welcome to the forum.

I have a ’94 with Givi side and top bags, corbin saddle and TB slipon.
With the corbin I sit down lower to center of gravity and have Genmar ¾” rise. The combunation of saddle and risers are enough for me, 6 foot 1 inch height.

The only thing I don’t like is the amount of pull back the bars have and the only to fix that is to cut the tad off of the clip ons.

What is the shift kit that you mentioned?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 PM

hey paco do you have a pic of your bars? id love to see them if so......maybe i need to look at those profis instead of the vfrs. Theyre adjustable up and back?

timbuc......i cant exactly rememebr the part but its some type of solid roller piece that replaces the spring on shifter. The bike shifts with a nice solid "snick", where it used to be kind of spongy. I found it on one of these forums as one of those easy "must do" fixes....it was only about a $20 piece but it really tightened up the shifting on the bike.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 AM

I knew someone one here had the vfr bars on their bike. https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...346#post675346
The thread is more about the hand guards but i got him to post some extra pics of the bars

Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 PM

dude! thanks so much for that link. Ive found some vfr bars, but now im not sure if i want to go that way, doesnt sound like theyre going to come up as high as the profi bars so you might have just saved me a bunch of trouble

Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if you just can't use VFR bars with GenMar risers. It would be cost effective if you can get VFR bars cheap.

I may look into the VFR bars as it looks like I can push them out forward. That is what cramps my hands, the rearward bend.

If you go to high you may need to extend cables, hoses and wires. Just a thought.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 PM

I have genmar on my 96.

Last edited by karlo; 07-02-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM

pic of my bars raised as high as they'll go without swapping out any control cables.

Attached Thumbnails a little help with bars for 96cbr1000?-p0000000.jpg  

Quick Reply: a little help with bars for 96cbr1000?