CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

LED headlight globes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just ordered some hids from ddm 35w h7 8000k for my cbr600rr site is very easy to use try it out

Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 AM

I can definitely see( no pun intended) the need for a bit more output from my head lights. Visibility in the day but my real need is function at night. I love riding at night especially in the canyons in the mountains here in Colorado. Very dark and critters on occasion.( so far the critters have the good sense to keep moving). Do the HIDs on DDM offer a direct fit for the lamps. Will my 1000f have problems with powering them up without running or heat issues electrically speaking ? Has anyone tried the 55w on our bikes?
Thanx for any advice..

Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you stick with 35w hids you will draw less power and generate less heat than standard, if you go up to 55w hid you will be using the same amount of power as now but should get 3 to 5 times the light output without any extra heat than that of a standard halogen.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Where do you install all the rest of the kit on a 1000F ?
Ballasts and so on....
Do they have to be kept enclosed or should the ballasts be mounted where they can be cooled by airflow ?

What about "combination kits" - eg HID high beam and halogen low beam ?

Who is a reputable supplier ?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up HIDs

Originally Posted by Shadow
Where do you install all the rest of the kit on a 1000F ?
Ballasts and so on....
Do they have to be kept enclosed or should the ballasts be mounted where they can be cooled by airflow ?

Who is a reputable supplier ?
Hi,
I installed the ballasts etc between the headlight and clocks, using the framework to zip tie it all secure.
My kit has 2 bi-xenon bulbs both acting as dip and main beam. BIG improvement over the stock items.
I removed the following to install the kit which took about 2 & 1/2 hours - screen, infill above clocks, clocks, infill panel, small access panel above front mudguard.
All the connectors etc are weather resistant so can be located just about anywhere.
Got mine from 'carlights' but there are numerous suppliers on fleabay.
Look up the thread HID conversions for more info.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks Rick - more questions -
Did you fit the 35W or the 55W units ?
I'd like to run as high as I can go - when we do "night runs" this being Africa there are all kinds of critters that run around after dark, and the better we can see, the more likely we are to be able to avoid them.
I see plenty of Chinese HID kits - I've heard they aren't that good - your take on this ?
(I'd hate to spend double the money, just to get something from the US that was made in China anyway) Which model kit did you fit ?
I'm currently running 60/55W blue tungsten bulbs, and they are pretty good - I'm concerned about blinding other drivers/riders on the road. Comments ?
Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Pete,
the HID bi xenon kit is perfect fro the 1KF. 35W far outstrips the performance of the standard lamps. I think a 55W lamp may be overkill.
I can ride flat out at night and see perfectly well without even having to resort to high beam. It really is a chalk and cheese equation. Daytime riding is enhanced by the forward visibility rendered in drivers rear view mirrors, a fact borne out by other motorcyclists pulling over to let you go ahead in heavy traffic situations. They'd rather be behind someone who's lights truly penetrate the daylight, let alone the night. I had the blue halogens before these. There is simply no comparison.
The Chinese connection on ebay is legit. Good service, fast delivery.
Your life and night riding WILL be changed by them. Just do it!
H

Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up HID Bi-xenon

Thanks Rick - more questions -
Did you fit the 35W or the 55W units ?
I'd like to run as high as I can go - when we do "night runs" this being Africa there are all kinds of critters that run around after dark, and the better we can see, the more likely we are to be able to avoid them.
I see plenty of Chinese HID kits - I've heard they aren't that good - your take on this ?
(I'd hate to spend double the money, just to get something from the US that was made in China anyway) Which model kit did you fit ?
I'm currently running 60/55W blue tungsten bulbs, and they are pretty good - I'm concerned about blinding other drivers/riders on the road. Comments ?
Thanks again.
Hi,
as per HenryM the 35W is more than adequate for UK roads at night and ideal for getting noticed in daylight without blinding people. The kit I got was the bi-xenon HID kit

No problems at all with the quality (had mine on for at least 3 months) and use them on every ride.
Takes a while to arrive from China but not a problem with it arriving.

Good luck

Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me say this about that....I would not advise mixing the two from my own experience. I bought my Stratoliner off a guy that installed Hid low beam. At night the while riding, I love the low beam. I throws a nice white light out there that lights up the sides of the road. BUT, when I go to high, it is a muddy yellow/orange in comparison. The high reaches further out but due to the brightness of the low, my eyes are tricked and 98% of the time I switch back to lows within seconds. There is very little space to squeeze the ballast in the headlight bucket of the Stratoliner so I have not tried to install an HID high beam. If I do anything I will go back to the normal low beam due to this condition of different lights intensities and colors.

I don't know if anyone else has tried to mix them but form my point of view I would not do it.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 09-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks for that - I'll fit the 35W dual HID units - when I can find someone in China who's willing to post them here...........
I don't ride a great deal at night and as my eyes get older I need all the help I can get, even from the idiots who still don't see me with my lights on during the day (which is a legal requirement here, as are helmets) A friend of mine on a Gixxer was hit by a woman coming out of a stopstreet on Saturday - end result, bloody sore rider (lucky) and a written off K6 Gixxer 1000 (not so nice)
Maybe if he'd had an HID setup she'd have seen him.

Quick Reply: LED headlight globes