CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Leak proof is not good for air forks

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak proof is not good for air forks

Hey all CBR freaks,

I replaced my 87's front fork seal about 3000 miles ago. I used leak proof product. I had been noticed that the right fork started leaking again about a week ago. Before I found the leak, I put about 3 psi of air pressure to the both fork. Leak proof seal is actually wiping back the fork oil, not really sealing the space between outer and inner tube. If I didn't put any air to the fork, the leak proof seals might be OK. Now it is like a broken levee, leak is getting worth. HONDA shop guy told me that if I want to have air assist, better use genuine seal. I want little stiffer front. How do you guys think if I put some giant washers between fork spring and fork cap? Does it make the spring rebound stronger or simply make the spring shorter?[/align]

Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Default RE: Leak proof is not good for air forks

Do not put any air pressure in the fork. Use thicker or more oil instead.
I raised the level a little bit and got a much better fork funktion. I do not remember right now how much, but just experiment a bit. Use some medium or thicker oil.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:42 PM
jb

the air valve (if it has one) is to remove air not put it in, if u want better fork function, get the forks sent away and revalved and bushed or change the bushes yrself not expensive, as for the fork seals leaking, mine did the same orthough i used genuine seals, i think it all comes down to how u install them, first time i didnt take much care because the old seals were in such a state, second time i made sure it was perfect, have only done 100k on new seal so will see if it worked or not, one thing i should have replaced was the top and bottom bush, as these effect the seal working properly.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: jb

the air valve (if it has one) is to remove air not put it in
Actually on the Hurricane it IS to put air in, up to 6 psi or so according to the manual if I remember correctly. I always found it made the ride rather spongy so I would recommend the thicker oil/no air experiments mentioned above.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 AM

I want little stiffer front. How do you guys think if I put some giant washers between fork spring and fork cap? Does it make the spring rebound stronger or simply make the spring shorter?
The washers will change the static sag dimensions. (The washers go under the spring retaining cap - not the fork cap) Better option is to replace the springs with aftermarket ones that do not use the spacer ( I used hagon springs )

The oil gap is the cheapest way to improve the damping feel. I reduced my air gap ( no spring & fork bottomed ) to 145mm ( 5 -11/16" )
( I stuck with Motul 10wt fork oil )

The springs + the change in air gap made a big difference to the feel of the bike.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:05 AM

Guys,

Thanks for your advises. I fixed the fork seals today. One think I want really share with you all, and this was very effective. A friend of mine who is BMW freak and he used to run his motorcycle restoration business (now he is a certified BMW motorcycle mechanic in FL I believe...) taught me this technique long time age and I tried it. Before I installed the HONDA genuine fork seals, I put these in freezer over night. The seals were shrank and I could set right into the outer tube without seal pushing tool. Then, leave the fork under the sun light for a while, and it was done. And I tell you what., I recommend everybody to use HONDA genuine fork seal. It's pricey, but comes with dust boots and much much better quality than any after market products.[/align]