CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Knocking sound when shutting off throttle in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking sound when shutting off throttle in gear

Hi and thanks in anticipation of some assistance. Two days ago I became the proud owner of a 1994 CBR1000f. Rode it 84 miles home, non stop and felt totally relaxed afterwards - great start I thought!

I've been out on it tonight and I am experiencing a hard knock around the engine sprocket area each time I back off the throttle. It doesn't happen under load, only when backing off the throttle in gear.

The engine sounds sweet when its running whilst stationary and something tells me that it isn't the infamous Cam Chain rattle. I would assume that this would rattle even when the bike is out of gear and stationary?

Can anyone help with a possible diagnosis please?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the chain and sprocket for wear, missing teeth, etc. Rule that out first.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Default Knock when shutting throttle in gear

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Check the chain and sprocket for wear, missing teeth, etc. Rule that out first.
Wow! I joined the forum less than 12 hours ago, posted this problem and you've responded already!! I'm going to enjoy this!

Thanks for you help adrenalnjunky I'll check it out this weekend and let you know what I find. Its brilliant that I can get help like this.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STUARTST4
Wow! I joined the forum less than 12 hours ago, posted this problem and you've responded already!! I'm going to enjoy this!

Thanks for you help adrenalnjunky I'll check it out this weekend and let you know what I find. Its brilliant that I can get help like this.

It's a pretty active forum here mate, you're in a good place

Fill in the details on your profile so we know your rough location, or at least what country you live in, we have members from all over the world! That way if you need help or parts we can help you out better.

BTW welcome to the forum

Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a tight link in a chain a few years ago. I have no idea how it got tight, maybe sitting during the winter. It was just one link. When backing off I would hear a clunk, under power...nothing. I usually heard it when costing into towns with throttle backed off.

I replaced the chain and all was well.

If you want, loosen the chain a lot and push the rear wheel forward. Rotate the wheel checking each link for free movement. That's how I found mine.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Default knock at engine sprocket end when shutting throttle in gear

Hi again and many thanks for the tips so far.
I've removed the sprocket cover, checked the chain and both sprockets - everything ok there although I have noticed a couple of millimetres play in the engine end sprocket moving on the shaft even though the sprocket nut is tight.

I wonder if when running, this couple of millimetres play is amplified, manifesting itself as a knock given the power that the engine delivers or is the play I've found normal?

Again, thanks in anticipation.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've just posted my findings so far but I'm going straight back out into my shed to check my chain - link by link.

Regards
Stuart

Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Default My location

Thanks for your input Hawkwind.
Its a good idea that I let people know where I am of course so here we go....

I'm in a town called Swadlincote, South Derbyshire, UK. The English Midlands as its known here. Between Ashby de la Zouch and Burton on Trent (a brewery town) which comes in useful!!

Been riding bikes since I was old enough to and now a born again biker of 54 years. Originally from the North East - Newcastle - a 'Geordie' and proud of it!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Hi again CBRclassic
I've checked the Chain and the sprockets both look ok for wear - no 'hooking' on either. The chain is in pretty good order too, no tight spots and a good fit on the sprockets.

I've just removed the back wheel and found that the sprocket turns about 5-10mm in the cush drive hub.

Maybe that's the problem?

Quick Reply: Knocking sound when shutting off throttle in gear