CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Key problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key problem

Its that time of year again! Just got my bike back from my mechanic. Valves adjusted, carb sync, new fuel filter and a couple other little things. Lack of tools and a clean warm place to work on my bike during winter months it makes sense to bring it to my guy. Its running very well!!

My key is pretty loose in the ignition and used to be concerned it would fly out. Well it did the other day, luckily around town. Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas to snug it up a bit?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The only thing that really holds the key in the ignition is the little pins that slide over the teeth of the key. Based on the shape of the key, if it were like a V, it might have a tendency to be pushed out. As strange as this might sound, lubricating the lock may allow the pins to move more freely. There by allowing them to slide back against the key and hold it better.

Of course the other option is to replace the ignition set, but that's about $200.

I just did a check on mine, and my key won't come out when it's in the ON position. If your's comes out while riding, then it's probably broken. Replacement may be the only way.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 AM

Thanks guys. I think in the 1987-88 the key will come out in the on position. Anyone have input there. Mine is just very loose. Tried the wd40 I hadn't thought of that, no luck. Next time I am near the stealership, I will have a new key made to see if that helps.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try it with the new key, see if it helps....
If not , a competent locksmith should be able to disassemble your switch and repair the springs if they're too old.
Much cheaper than a new lockset, remembering that tank, seat and ignition all run off the same.
A locksmith can also replace the metal leaves/pins that engage with the key......
Original honda blanks are available in the UK for around $13 - see www.davidsilverspares.com
or www.wemoto.com - one of them has blanks if not both.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mate of mine has a Bandit that spits the key out, he went for the cheap option, a strip of velcro :-)

Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM

I use a strap on my other bike wich has that problem, but it never flew out.
Never use WD40 on a lock, it will only make it worst since it will make dirt stick inside the lock over time and it'll mess it up.
Only use the special lube for locks (don't remember what is it made of) wich you can get in any hardware store.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Always secure your keys!!!

I now use a key ring with a clip that I clip to my brake hose.

Here is a story......

I was riding in the middle of nowhere. Pull up at a servo to get fuel. Go to switch off and no ****ing key. Somehwhere in the previous 100k's it had fallen out.

I had no choice, but to bash the **** out of the locks on the fuel tank, ingnition and seat.

Quick Reply: Key problem