CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

It's been a blast

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your kind words guys, I have a Fazer 1000 (FZ1) not used it much yet and tbh not sure if I have made the right choice it certainly doesn't have the low down torque and build quality of the CBR, I'm told there as a mod for the carb (Ivans performance) so will get that done in a couple of months and if it's ok the suspension will be next on the list as it's a bit soft as standard.

Oh and I have some genmar risers to put on ebay soon!

Last edited by karlo; 07-27-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know when you list the risers as I am after some, never heard of the Fazer brand before, looks like a nice upright riding position and comfy seat, where are they from and what sort of bucks are they?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jarvid
Let me know when you list the risers as I am after some, never heard of the Fazer brand before, looks like a nice upright riding position and comfy seat, where are they from and what sort of bucks are they?
Its a Yamaha FZS1000 known as Fazer (UK) or FZ1 (US),

As for the risers they are £95 GBP new so I'm looking for £50 GBP plus P&P £50 GBP is Approx $82 USD or $75 AUD.

BUT I have never sent anything abroad so haven't a clue about postage???

Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

That's a nice looking bike, I'm sure it in the right hands it will kick some ***.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She looks great Karlo, love that Yamaha blue!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM

karlo,

I have both a Hurricane and an FZ 1. The FZ is a good bike, but I agree with you, it doesnt have the quality the Hurricane does. Still, it's very reliable. The pluses of the FZ to me are: lighter weight, easy to manuver at low speed, easier riding 2 up, and a flat out rocket. It's not a smooth of a power delivery as the Hurricane, but it's a rocket. Once it gets to about 6k rpm, it becomes violently fast like a 2 stroke power band!
I let my brother ride my FZ while I was on my hurricane, and we raced straight line several times. The FZ will leave the Hurricane like it's a Harley. Speed and acceleration arent everything to me anymore though, and for me, the Hurricane is my favorite of the two by far. Since you are looking for comfort though, you should like the FZ pretty well. And again, FZ's are very reliable. Mine has 46,000 trouble free miles so far.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by bicklebok
karlo,

I let my brother ride my FZ while I was on my hurricane, and we raced straight line several times. The FZ will leave the Hurricane like it's a Harley. Speed and acceleration arent everything to me anymore though, and for me, the Hurricane is my favorite of the two by far.
Seriously Bickle? I'd tend to disagree with that statement as I've come across a few fazers on the road and never really seen any kind of performance that would make me feel I was riding a frigging Harley by comparison. Perish the thought...... but if you've raced it out........
Karlo, we need your verification on this..... when you've had a chance to feel the violence..... he he.
I can only imagine how much soul searching you had to go through making that decision. I'll admit I've thought about replacing mine but the thought only lasted a nano second, then all was good again.
Take care mate. You'll always have plenty of Canes to look at on the roads in the UK... wondering if you made the right decision!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM
Seriously Bickle? I'd tend to disagree with that statement as I've come across a few fazers on the road and never really seen any kind of performance that would make me feel I was riding a frigging Harley by comparison. Perish the thought...... but if you've raced it out........
I could be wrong, but I think there are a few country's that limited the performance on Fazers. Again, Im not sure on that.
I have raced my Hurricane against my FZ and against another FZ my brother owns numerous times. It's not even close at all. But dont get me wrong, the Hurricane is the love of my life!

Once our ole buddy gets some seat time he can let us know his thoughts.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 AM

The FZ isn't without it's problems but I had already researched this, carburation is one,

Ivan's Performance Products

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/j...tallation.html

and soft suspension is the other,

The carb mod is available in 2 options slip on and what has come to be known as the full monty, the full monty is due to be fitted at the end of september.

The suspension will be reworked next year by I would think K-Tech as they are only just down the road so to speak.

Both dependant on if I get on with the bike of course.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I'm aware the FZ1 is just a detuned R1.
Plenty of get up and go there, but I'm not sure about doing long distances on one.........
I'd probably go for a 1200 Bandit (dare I say it) for "shoot and scoot" riding and not much to touch the old 1000F for the long distance stuff........unless you consider the 'Busa - which will prob. be my next bike.................much easier to get spares
Anyway it's all academic - good luck with the new bike, Karlo, and I hope it lives up to your expectations.

Quick Reply: It's been a blast