CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

A Illegal Act Anywhere Else

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Illegal Act Anywhere Else

Yesterday, late afternoon was given access to a closed runway for 15 minutes at a Air Force Base. Which was still not authorize use other than the permission of the Officer in charge of inspections and repair of it. Six of us took turns running flat out as hard as our bikes would go managed to get 160 mph out of the old CBR would most of you consider this an accurate top speed reading for the bike or do you think the speedometer was off one way or the other. I know there are variables that play key factors in this like altitude, humidity, wind conditions, riders position and weight of course. Never ran the old CBR this hard on the top end. Of course I have leaned through some real curves. Not hard enough to drag anythingbut good enough to keep up with the pack

Old 08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Default RE: A Illegal Act Anywhere Else

Sounds fun. Unfortunatally I havn't gone near that fast still working on her. For a year.With some riding time worked in.This too is a hobby. I think the old Mag. ad's put top speed somewhere in th low 150's.Still, I am getting older and Highschool was good to me, party wise. So tho ole memory isn't what it was. Anyhow, just wanted to say you have officially made me jealous. Keep her up, or leaned.

Patrick

Old 08-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a blast, glad to hear to had that opportunity!!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:03 PM

That is a nice bike, TheX. Especially like the plate. How do you keep her so clean?

Patrick

Old 08-26-2007, 01:12 PM

The bike will do about 160honest mph. The reading on the speedo would be a little higher then like 170. I was well above 250 km/h (155 mph) with mine -92, more close to 160 mph according to GPS. That was on road, which is little insane, I truly look up to people that are more disciplined though and I have become more careful for each year. These old bikes are by far stronger and quicker than most people would believe. The chassi is not perfect on max speed on roads. On an even airstrip thereshould beno problems whatsoeversince the bike isvery stable in a straight line if one lean forward and don't grab wind with the body.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 PM

The first evening i bought my bike i tested it on a roadthe militay use, it was a long even straight. I got the -89 Cane to 250 km/h on the speedometer but there was maybe 20 km/h left to do and i dont know how much wrong the speedo shows.They are pretty fast the Cane's for being that "old".

Old 08-26-2007, 04:16 PM

I ran mine up to 150mph last weekend on I-64 in Kentucky. Bad idea in retrospect, but I needed to know if it would. Poor 20yo motorcycle. Felt like a kite in a windstorm. Now my 1998 VFR, wow, 100mph feels like 60 on the 'cane. Got it up to 130 today without trying.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM

I have just finished a total rebuild and am looking forward to when I can open her up once I've run her in. Repect to thoses that can get that sort of speed and not get caught. I would never be without my trusty 87f, they are one hell of a bike.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 08-29-2007, 08:35 PM

I'm jealous. Mine is still in bits. Hopefully the next few weeks might see some action [sm=hail.gif]

Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM

With a bit of paticience you'll get there. There were moments when I thought that I would'nt finish, but there were times when things flew past and you forget to take pics. So hang in there.

Quick Reply: A Illegal Act Anywhere Else