CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I hate to think this way............

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate to think this way............

(Now I'm not trying to sell my bike here, had it on eBay a few times, and locally on Craigs, and I don;t have enough posts for this forum)

.........but............ it seems like I could probably get more $$$ if I parted mine out....which to me would be murder, since it's in perfect shape. But a motor here, plastics there, tires, seat, blah blah...it would be interesting.

I was going by NADA's excellent condition value, but never got close. I guess for that $$ someone feels they can buy a newer (though maybe not nicer model.

How about an auction type scenario, though the cost could be prohibitive.

Any ideas or should I get out my wrenches?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:43 PM

I'm guessing this is a crap time to sell any bike. I bought mine on cycletrader.com out of Washington State, from Texas. Cycletrader might be a more "dedicated" market. Ebay gives some folks the creeps. And I hate to see you kill a great bike.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Craigslist

barter it for something of equal or greater value, you can then resell
more easily..........outboard motors, cars, ATV's, Skidoo's,
inflatable hard bottom boats that sort of thing..........

People barter more easily than using actual hard cash

Old 08-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough to say.
What's the NADA value on it? The NADA on my 1995 is like $2400, and the internet NADA only goes back to 1995. I think it's in the book, though.
However, I think the standard mileage (they don't let you input mileage) is 43,000 and mine has a little over half that.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the posts all. Nada is $2500 for the "Excellent" condition, which I believe it is, 18K miles and don't even hear the tensioner noise. New parts and extras too. I'd have a real problem deciding to part it out........I'll just have to make time to ride her. And when I do I remember why I bought it in the first place.....what a great running bike.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a tough one, bud.
I don't think $2500 is too far out of line at all. Especially with 18k on the clock. If you hold out, you may be able to get that.
There is a guy in my town asking $2500 for a 1990 with like 28k on it.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with parting a bike out , or anything else for that matter is ,

It may take a year and a day to sell all the parts and the remaining bits will be lying around in your garage.

Once you split it you can't ride it!

There can be a lot of hassle involved dealing with a lot of different folks maybe looking to get "something for nothing!"(Just read a couple of the parts for sale threads!)

It sounds like you've got a real nice low mileage bike , it will sell eventually and in the mean time I'd enjoy it

Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks again all.

I have watched 2 other 'Canes, basically the same mileage and condition, in different parts of the country NOT get sold on eB@y, because no bidders would get close to the reservem which was also comparable to mine.

And, I could never part it....it's too good a bike, and like one of ya'll said, I'm gonna ride and enjoy it, just have to make time. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the spring. Bur, some of the best ridin' weather is coming up in NJ now.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 52

More worthwhile posts and you can list her here

Originally Posted by knagy389us
Thanks again all.

I have watched 2 other 'Canes, basically the same mileage and condition, in different parts of the country NOT get sold on eB@y, because no bidders would get close to the reservem which was also comparable to mine.

And, I could never part it....it's too good a bike, and like one of ya'll said, I'm gonna ride and enjoy it, just have to make time. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the spring. Bur, some of the best ridin' weather is coming up in NJ now.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:01 PM

If you part it out, please start this week and post up so I can buy some stuff from you before my trio next week

Quick Reply: I hate to think this way............