CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I HATE My Hurricane at the moment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HATE My Hurricane at the moment!!!

As many of you know Ive recently got a CBR 1000 FJ and had some bits I wanted to do to it....

I collected it from the garage today after booking it in for a K+N Air filter, rejetting, resynching of the carbs and to get the fork seals done. ( it took them over 5 days to do..but thats a different story!! ) I also found out my tyres are totally different makes/profiles - with the front being a 120/70/17 and the rear being a 160/60/17.....so new tyres will be needed.

On the ride home from the garage....the improvement on the bike was immense compared to before ( apparently they found the carbs were stupidly unbalanced!! ) I loved it....got home in a good mood... ready to tackle my next task.....replacing the seat/helmet lock and slapping on a new seat. Now Im not overly keen on doing diy mechanics....I always find myself getting frustrated..but I always want to give it a go!

So, took the old seat off, and replaced the seat lock...checked the mechanism to make sure it was all working fine. It did....I was pleased I done the job without much fuss....then things took a turn for the worse....I took a few of the fairings off and found some more cracks and breakages which obviously happened at the garage....a complaint will be made....

After this I put all the fairings back on..and put the new seat on to finish the job. I put the key in the just replaced seat lock....turn it around to unlock it....and low and behold....nothing. My new seat is now locked on and I cant get it off ( I even tried slipping a long screw driver from behind the back of the seat to release it....with no luck - I have no idea how to get it back off to access the battery when needed )

It just seems at the moment that whenever improvements are made on the bike....something else goes wrong with it elsewhere! LOL!!!!

So at this moment in time....I HATE it! LOL
( probably love it tomorrow as im going for a day out with it )

Oh and any advice on how to get the seat off with nil damage to anything would be awesome!

Last edited by TaoistTattooist; 09-07-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 PM

That is why I have most DIY stuff. I think I might be smart enough and have enough dexterity, but I'm a little too impatient, which always leave some type of mark on my bike that reminds me of my shortcomings.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Side and middle fairings away .............coat hanger at the ready....reeady #1 photon torpedo tube Mr Sulu

Last edited by Sprock; 09-07-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like classic said, we need a little more info. Is the cylinder turning in the lock? Have you tried pushing down hard on the seat, just above the latch?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Like classic said, we need a little more info. Is the cylinder turning in the lock? Have you tried pushing down hard on the seat, just above the latch?

From what I can see the cylinder is still turning and so is the piece of metal that revolves to move the other piece of metal which release's the catch ( if you know what I mean?? )

But.....it seems the piece of metal that is moved back to release the catch is already back to its further extent!!!

I tried for a few mins pushing pressure down on parts of the seat and even tried to pull it off with brute strenght....I then gave up to leave for another day before my head exploaded!

Im in a better mood with the bike as I'll be out on it for the whole day today

Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tyres

hi - just a quickie as I am sat in an airport.
Your tyres sizes are good they wont need changing

Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Arr hu!! ... I see we have a coat hanger expert here in amongst us ...

Experienced perhaps gained from a prior career on night shift Mark ?? ....LOL
Ya know Steve ............ I'm just not that shady kind of character.!!
Had a lot of practice though slim jimin' and opening up locked stuff.

It's a very handy talent to have so it is. Very few things I can't get open eventually.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! More problems seem to be occuring!!!

I took the bike out today to visit a fellow tattooist 80 miles away to get some new ink....the ride there was amazing.....and I was surprised at actually how much poke my baby had ( Im sure I leaked some urine at points ) lol Loved the ride, loved my new ink. Perfect.

Half way on the way back...I noticed a knocking noise coming from the bottom of the bike....I dont know for sure but it seemed to be coming from the chain area?????? And acceleration did seem a bit rough in comparison to the ride up......

Now does this ring a bell with anyone as a possible fault??? And if so...please tell me its easy to fix.....I could really do without having to fork out anymore more on it at the moment! LOL

( And they say things can only get better! LOL )

Quick Reply: I HATE My Hurricane at the moment!!!