CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?

If your jets are REALLY clogged like mine were, you could buy the paint bucket full of carb cleaner and let em soak. It comes with a handy dip basket, too. Too bad I (or the wife or kids)lost the $80.00O-ring and filter set,and didn't realize it till I tore down and soaked the 1st carb. I really wanted to do these 1 at a time so I can get em back together. But the O-rings have to get passports.

Good luck,

Patrick [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 06-24-2007, 01:56 AM

Pull out the air cleaner and squirt a little bit of crc into the carbs and try to start it if it starts it is a fuel problem

Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 AM

Thanks all,
I'll try all the suggestions, but I do have the feeling that the only real way of getting the bike to run like it used to will be to take the carbs out and start cleaning!
Thanks

Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 PM

Sounds like the same symptoms I had with my 92F. Engine dies after an extended period at high revs. It was fuel starvation, and I found that the vacuum tube from the #1 carb inlet manifold to the Fuel valve was kinked and the Petcock was not opening fully. Took the outer PVC sleeve off the vacuum tube and found the restriction was caused by the glue that holds the outer sleeve to the vacuum tube where it passed through the retaining fitting on the carb. Removed the outer sleeve, straightened the path of the tube up a bit and now she's as good as gold. Will replace the PVC sleeve with a wire coil sleeve at some stage.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: schooners

Sounds like the same symptoms I had with my 92F. Engine dies after an extended period at high revs. It was fuel starvation, and I found that the vacuum tube from the #1 carb inlet manifold to the Fuel valve was kinked and the Petcock was not opening fully. Took the outer PVC sleeve off the vacuum tube and found the restriction was caused by the glue that holds the outer sleeve to the vacuum tube where it passed through the retaining fitting on the carb. Removed the outer sleeve, straightened the path of the tube up a bit and now she's as good as gold. Will replace the PVC sleeve with a wire coil sleeve at some stage.
I'll look into that first, before having to take apart the carbs. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 AM

I also had better luck when I decided to ride with the choke on and try to let it (choke)out while at speed, gradually. I think that helped as much as anything, short of removal. Mine was stored for several years.
Good luck!
Patrick [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
jmc

If it won't run unless the choke is on, it usually is the the pilot jet in the carbs (the smallest ones= easiest to clog). I my exper. you have to pull the carbs, clean the pilots (and the rest of the carb while your there). I use a single strand of wire and lots of carb cleaner and some comp. air. Auto carb/fuel injectorcleanerfuel additiveswon't work and could distort some of the plastic parts in the carb which is a nightmare. I am a big believer in Stabil for any lenght of storage.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jmc

If it won't run unless the choke is on, it usually is the the pilot jet in the carbs (the smallest ones= easiest to clog). I my exper. you have to pull the carbs, clean the pilots (and the rest of the carb while your there). I use a single strand of wire and lots of carb cleaner and some comp. air. Auto carb/fuel injectorcleanerfuel additiveswon't work and could distort some of the plastic parts in the carb which is a nightmare. I am a big believer in Stabil for any lenght of storage.
Thanks, this is most likely what the cause is. Now, to find the time to do this job is another story.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Removing and cleaning the carbs is a let easier than it sounds. Just get a Hynes Manual and follow the easy step by step. I used CRC Carb cleaner to clean carbs inside/out and the pressure of the cleaner through a spray tube attached to the CRC nozzle was sufficient to do the job. Just don't rush it and don't lose any parts!