CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help or at least som knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help or at least som knowledge

ORIGINAL: The Gummi Bear

wooo Guys.
If i were able to tell you every little thing about what i have done i wouldn't have been using a mechanic to do it Dont know details i just payed the guy. But he has a whole list and got 20.000,- richer
Basicly i drilled it up a bit, new camshaft,valve size, stroke, compression, intake manifold new exhaust. Akrapovic

So it proberbly would have been cheaper to buy a 1100xx but i feel in love with my cbr 1000f from my first testrun and it haven't changed since

It sounds as a major tuning and I guess it is the bigblock kit by Wiseco that is used. The stroke is probably not changed though since that would cost about the same as the total sum you mention (almost $4000). And that sum appears to be small since it includes new pistons, new cams, new valves and a huge amount of machine work.

So, the dyno reads 145 rwhp, right? That is 10 more horses than a CBR 1100 XX has in stock condition. I'm not saying it is impossible, not at all; just that it is a verygreat achievement if the power value is correct. Not even the strongest modern sport bikes passed that figure before 2003 and that was done by the GSX R1000 –03. How do I know

I've been playing a lot with nitrous oxide for race applications. I developed a progressive control system for nitrous in the early 90's that were used a loton race cars, snowmobiles and prostock type bikes. It was also widely used on high-end street race cars.

Nitrous oxide can very well be used on a bike; the important thing is to keep thenitrous oxide and fuelratio correct. The disadvantage, expect for the higher failurerate, is that a nitrous bottle will only last forabout 30 seconds. Then it has to be refilled forabout$100 unless you have your own refill station and a depot at home.

The next disadvantage, and this is a major one, is that the added nitrous power will built up in a fraction of a second, which will make the bike very dangerous in cornes (unless you have an expensive control system). At the end of the day, nitrous is only of interest fordrag race bikes. You can use it though if the main interest is to leave your friends behind on straights, which of course doesn’t hurt a lot .

There ishope though. If you feel you need much more, continuous,and reliable power like 200 rwhp, the solution is to adda turboto the engine. This will only cost like $2000 if you built it yourself or about $6000 if you leave it to e.g. http://www.mc-xpress.com/in Sweden.

Below is a dyno chart for a GSX R1000 w and w/o turbo. The old CBR 1000 F will be happier with maximum 200 rwhp and this will of course still be enough to outrun most vehicles that you willever meet on roads. In case you will take the turbo trail, you have toreduce the compression toabout 8.5 to 1. Using a thicker head gasket can do this. Motorcycle engines that are modified for turbo are typically using a 2 mm gasket instead of the stock gasket that usually is about 0.75 mm.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/563B68B2CCDC4F8A86CCAEF406D99BCB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.Try Eagle Screens, eaglescreens@eftel.com.au for a windscreen. They ship worldwide,I think their products are top quality (there's a dark tint, windlip screen on my '94), and theirservice is also very good.
If I had the cash, and I don't,I'd go the turbo and forget the nitrous!
Ride safe (well...most of the time), Dave.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:49 PM

you seem to know alot. R1000
if you were to make the total rebuild to 200hp on the dyno what would you do.
in details and prices.
And the 20.000,- i think are only mechanics bill i am still paying 3000,- a month to him have done for som time and it ends juli 08

Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Thanks, I know a little but really not a lot.

I case I was to build a true 200 rwhp engine, and that is not difficult, I would consult a reputed bike turbo builder and find out what the best concept would be. To get the power is not difficult but the lubrication system also have to work perfectly and this is where many turbo amateurs fails. There are many private persons and companies in Sweden that have the necessary detailed knowledge and there are many turbo bikes that are used on street. Many of the users have become power crazy and look for several hundred rwhp and will sooner or later blow the engine. I think the clever street bike will not use more than about 200 rwhp. This also means it has not to be provided with an intercooler and it also means that it will be a very easy load for the Blackbird. I believe the CBR 1000 F is in the same division regarding strength and reliability.

I would then buy a brand new turbo aggregate and start to build the header section, based on e.g Akrapovics stock SS headers and also build a plenum for the carbs. The carbs has to be pressurized in turbo applications. If you surf in to www.sporthoj.com turbo section there is a lot of turbo discussions and references. http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51I would also read as much as possible on this andother turbo forums to get the best of the best advices. I haven’t build any turbo engine so this will take some time and I would not do it for another person. It would be impossible to get paid per the hours and there are also risks involved since I haven’t deep analyzed turbo concepts for bikes and lacks the necessary skills, for the moment.

With findings in hand how much it has costed to upgrade the bird, I could as well have bought a complete used turbo kit for the bird or built it myself. This would not have been more expensive than conventional tuning and the end result would have been far better. It is not just the extra 50 hp that would have been gained; it is more the tremendous torque that would have been achieved.

Since you seems to use your time on other things than living in the garage and haven’t done the conventional rebuild yourself, I suggest you contact MC express or some other company. If you wish,I can PM you the name of a guy in the middle of Sweden that may have time to help you possibly will offer a turnkey solution.

Edit, another turbo forum that can be a good start to get somebasic understanding. http://p197.ezboard.com/fazbiketechfrm9

Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: davethepom

Welcome.Try Eagle Screens, eaglescreens@eftel.com.au for a windscreen. They ship worldwide,I think their products are top quality (there's a dark tint, windlip screen on my '94), and theirservice is also very good.
If I had the cash, and I don't,I'd go the turbo and forget the nitrous!
Ride safe (well...most of the time), Dave.
Yeah they are not bad, they are only 10km from my house

They dont keep one in stock, but they said they'd do a double bubble if they could use my old one as a mold.