CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

help help help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help help help

Dear fellow CBR Riders: I'm facing a serious dilemma here. I purchased a 1990 cbr a month or two ago; joined this forum, learned that they are great bikes. So, I went out bought a manual for repairs (yada yada yada). Now, it was missing side mid fairings and i bought a set off ebay, but when i went to put them on they didnt fit; the tail section was actually made with an horizontal attachment but the fairing had a diagonal pattern; so i went and purchased another tail section for a 90 cbr...which had the diagonal pattern to attach the fairing, but neither of them really fit on my 90 cbr (unusual - very).

I did notice that altho my frame reads 1990; the acutal make-date was in 1989 - ya think? maybe? probly so... maybe I should be trying to pattern parts off an 89 cbr opposed to 90? hmmm... anyway, does anyone has any advice? because also, the tail section does not fit my tail light either; the screws line up, but the tail lights sit in about 2-3 inches and does not mount flush.

I'm almost afraid to order parts for this because of the fear of things not matching up... I havent yet taken her for a spin; it had a salvaged title - but i'm bringing her back to life. If you notice (maybe not) the tail and the attached fairing is not actually attached, they are held together by wire tied to the frame (how's that for innovation)... *sigh* If anyone have any recommendations please feel free to post your input- its needed!

CBR Riders meet ENVY.... (she's custom-painted by yours truly)

[IMG]local://upfiles/750/CEDC550EB7C5499EA1259BCC5F59FFF8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/750/7971EB828DAF4289B56DC1BD7281ABF0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Default RE: help help help

Maybe it is not the fairing that are the trouble, it could be the subframe. Since it has a salvage title maybe it is bent?? or if it is removeable, maybe someone replaced it with one from a different year??

Old 04-22-2005, 10:12 PM

Can you take some better quality photo's with more detail of the mounts etc.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I recall, there was no Hurricane/CBR '89 model only left overs from '88.
Now the production for the New CBR '90 model must have started in '89, so this should no be the problem.
I would agree with the above posters, take better photos and a possible bent frame(most likely).

Old 04-24-2005, 09:24 PM

If you really aren't sure of the year, copy your VIN and take it to your local Honda dealer. The parts guys will have a book with EVERYTHING Honda has ever made. Just flip to the CBR1000 section and begin comparing your VIN with the VINs that Honda lists for that year.

As for parts form Ebay, I don't know what to tell you. I never have any luck on Ebay and try to buy locally if at all possible. There is no telling what the previous owner(s) did to the bike. I've seen some very interesting modifications over the years. Best of luck to you!