CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Is this a good buy? 1991 CBR 1K $2,700

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this a good buy? 1991 CBR 1K $2,700

This link should allow you to see the remaining pictures.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=fn3sa3v.b7dpxlf3&x=0&y=-na7yop&localeid=en_US

Thanks again
John

Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My polite version would be: If you want around $1000 we can talk, and I could part it for spares for a good bike......
It's been dropped on both sides, and runs on 3 cylinders, which COULD be that it's low on fuel, or the carbs are dirty, or that one cylinder has no compression, or that the coils/CDI/other electrical items are damaged. Impossible to tell what else is wrong from here.......

My normal version : IT'S A PILE OF SCRAP, AND I WOULDN'T WANT IT EVEN FOR SPARES.

Harsh, sad, but true. Sorry John, you wanted an honest opinion, and that's my 2c worth.
You should have pursued the other one......

Try these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Shadow1,

Your normal version was exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate your honesty. I will continue my search and see if the previous bike is still available.

Thank you,
John

Old 04-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Banned

Even if the other bike doesn't pan out, take your time. There are a lot of good bikes to be had out there. You are bound to find a nice one at a good price.

I looked for a while. It will happen. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and one will come your way. I guarantee it.

I also understand that you want it now. I went through the EXACT same deal. My friend called me one day and asked me if I was interested in a 1990 1000F. Some guy rode it into his dealership asking if he knew anybody who wanted it. He called me and our other buddy. It had 19k on it and the guy wanted $2000. It ran great, but my buddy beat me to it.
Good for him.

They are out there. Be choosy.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 AM

Hey guys,

I stopped by the dealer to look at that bike but they had already moved it up to their New Hampshire facility and they are having their annual Spring Sale tomorrow and Sunday. Since I wont be able to see it until after the weekend, its likely to be sold but I will keep an eye on it.

I've seen some other bikes on craigslist but they are not CBR's. They are VFR's and because I'm impaciant (like most Americans) I'm going to look at them too. VFR's are not my first choice but I do believe they are great looking too.

Any thoughts from you about VFR's?
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/640316870.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

John

Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 AM

John, You come to the HURRICANE FORUM and want opinions on a VFR ???[X(][:@]
VFR's ? I don't like them much - a friend has one. I find it not very comfortable, and the Hurricane is, IMHO, a FAR better all round machine.
I wouldn't buy one - rather save my pennies and buy a late Hurricane, or early Blackbird.
My 2c worth,(again)

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM

Yea, I thought the same thing, stupid, stupid, stupid me!Including the letters VFR in a CBR forum. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! Please dont hold it against me.

I know I'm also in the wrong forum for this question but are the earlier Hurricane 600's (1990-1996) as reliable and comfortable as your CBR? I did own a 1989 Hurricane 600 a few years back but thought if I bought another I'd out grown it before the summer was over. This and hoping to do long rides is the reason for wanting a 1000.

I'll just have to be patient and continue my search.

Oh, I contacted the CBR1000 owner in CA that you gave me and it looks like it would cost $750.00 to ship the bike to MA. That takes alot away from my bidding, but I will watch it til the end of bidding.

Thanks again,
John

Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM

It's not a stupid question at all John,

There are a lot of riders on this forum withvaried riding tastes and opinionsof their rides. From Gixxers to Blackbirds.

The VFR comparison is valid when you look at what has become of the CBR. It's now a pure sports beauty buy maybe too focused for some.
The 80's-90's CBR'sare great with their all around useability, bulletproof reliabiliy (albeit some tweaks)and servicability.

That's probably what you're picking up on with the VFR.
Versatility! It will sufficiently canyon carve and comfortably take you on touring distances. There are hard luggage systems available for them and plenty of mods that can be applied to personalize.

You may want to check the Yamaha FZ-1 (Great all-rounder) as well. They recently restyled so the 2000-2004's are a good buy.

There is a lot of tech specs on the VFR that may have you chasing your tail. Going from chain driven cams togear driven back to chain driven. Injection over Carbs...

This site will help with that and many many others.
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

I still have the 1st Gen.Cane but went for the6th GenerationVFR...Honda guy

regards,

[IMG]local://upfiles/15149/94B59AE480B34AA9BF83395F922604F7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 PM

All valid comments, BayareaRider, it's probably the "canyon carving" ability of the VFR which diistances it from the CBR (Not that you can't hang it out on a Hurricane) I'm also concerned at the way they've chopped and changed with the specs over the various versions, almost as though they can't decide what to do,,,,,,,,,I also feel that the engine and drivetrain won't stand the test of time, as the Hurricane has. I'd rate it a moderate all rounder, better in tight twisty sections, and lighter than a Cane, but time will tell if it'll be around as long as my old big Gooney Bird !
Putting aside my loyalty to the Honda marque for a moment, I think there are bikes from other manufacturers which will do all the VFR can do, and maybe do some of it a bit better - perhaps the small Triumph ... or the ST3 Ducati, if price isn't an option...?
This could turn into quite a debate.......see now what you've done, John.....he he

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iride a '91 CBR1k, my son rides a '96 VFR. Getting on his VFR isa little like getting on a dirt bike after the CBR. The VFR is a good 100 pounds lighter, has about the same acceleration, is much easier to throw around, and with the Sargent seat is really comfortable. We've toured together and he has no problem staying with me. In fact, I let him lead in the twisty sections so he doesn't get held up. His bike has been stone-reliable the time he's had it (four years), needing only tires and scheduled maintainance. The biggest drawback is ease of maintainance. Setting the valves on his is a longjob for an amatuer. If you go for one with the V-Tech engine be prepared to either buy the special equipment to set valves or pay a dealer extensive shop time to have it done. Other than that, the VFR isa great bike.