CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Getting ready to paint - Updated II!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to paint - Updated II!

So my rebuild is slowly comming to the end. My dad and I have rebuilt all of the missing tabs and panel mounts and just fitted everything up today. Here are a few pics:

Name:  IMG_5532.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  IMG_5537.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  69.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5538.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  57.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5533.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  52.0 KB

We have some paint on the way. As my dad already has a hvlp paint gun we are going to do it ourselves. Not going to be anything crazy (two tone: black and silver). What do you guys think? Anything I should do to her before I get into the final steps?

MDFF

Here is the rest of the pics if you are interested: Bike Rebuild

Old 10-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Default RE: Getting ready to paint

http://www.eplate.com.au/bin/serve?doc=/art/005/005.htm

This is a link to a place that sells Acrylic Spray Cans. But it still has some very usefull info on the preparation.

I had a spray guy tell me that over the top of the primer coat he does a very fine cover of black. That fine that it justs looks like overspay. Then when you sand smooth the primer coat if you can still see bits of the black then it still has dips in the primer coat.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 AM

Lookin' good man!

Question, where is your grab rail? If you're not going to have one, how does the seat lock in and what will you do to cover the gap between the seat and the plastic?!?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Trips, thanks for the link, that helps out a lot. Just need to do some metic to standard conversions .

Heavy, I am putting it back on, I just haven't had a chance to sand it down yet as it is still white at the moment.

MDFF

Old 10-11-2006, 02:54 PM

Awesome pics. What happened to the bike that you had to rebuild? (if this is old news, sorry, I've been out of the forum for a while)...
What the new chrome exhaust? Imean who makes it?
Can't wait to see the end result.
Good Luck

Art

Old 10-11-2006, 04:24 PM

I got the bike off of ebay and the guy who sold it to me told me that it had been laid down at low speed a while ago but it was just fine. Well I'm a gullable guy so I beleived him. I rode around for about a year on it and didn't really notice anything other then a few scratches and broken tabs. Well I moved back to MD and I wanted to do a little engine work. I started taking it part and found out that most of the pannels had missing mounting points and tabs broken clean off and were being held on with zip ties! I couldn't have that, and to be honest it looks like the guy had been in a head on crash. All of the front pannels had be salved from a junk yard. Well what you see now is after tearing the bike down and repairing all of the stuff that was broken off and or missing.

The exhaust is a Vance and Hines SSR2. Got it off ebay for a song, brand new. Sounds great and looks a lot better then the peice of crap the other guy and shoehorned in there. It also let me put the center stand back on, and that is big for me.

I'll be updateing this thread regularly so stay tuned.

MDFF

Old 10-11-2006, 05:24 PM

great pics... Look forward to seeing the end result soon. Good luck[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 AM

Can you give me a small writeup on how you repaired/replaced the missing tabs? I'm going through the same thing with mine, the upper cowl is missing tabs where the lower cowl connects to.. I thought there wasn't any hope, so I was about to buy new plastics.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 AM

I am just in the processed of painting my CBR 1000f as well. Yup the very importing thing is the primer undercoat. You gotta sand it down a few times before applying paint.

Pics click here

Go a question. I am in the process of assembeling the bike back together and I am facing a Dilemma. the pieces that go to the grab rail, you know the 4 hooks that swing in and out that has ball bearings. I am wondering if there are springs that go with it or not? Can't really remember coz was stripping the bike with a friend and he is now overseas.

here's a pic

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/11735/E98B13F28F51488F99E203AF1E6E4464.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2006, 05:04 AM

I've not broken the grabrail down that far, but I would say that there are no springs since the hooks are pushed in/out manually and have no type of self-return feature.....best logical guess.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to paint - Updated II!