CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

General Advice Needed- Should I try to fix, sell, or trade in towards new(or used)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had to pull my carbs.....yet, so cant offer anything there. But I'm here to give moral support! Dont give up man! These are good bikes once you get them running right. Very reliable and excellent quality that I havent seen on other bikes.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hey Pete , I recon we should have a mandatory rule , that any member with running issues has to show pics of there striped and cleaned cabies before we let them post ....
Capital idea.......I like sitting back with a cold one viewing someone's pain. LOL

Just kidding...But it is a guy thing looking at things that are torn apart.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Pete , I recon we should have a mandatory rule , that any member with running issues has to show pics of there striped and cleaned cabies before we let them post ....

Yarr ! Especially those who .............................

Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 93cbr1000f
I'll post again, after I do what I can
I went back and read over the post. We did not rule out vale lash. If you have a tight valve, when the bike warms up it could tighten up more and cause the popping. This also changes the intake and makes it hard to balance the carbs.

If the valves are out, they could mimic faulty carbs. They are cheap and easy to check.

If you have not checked the valves yet it is time to do it. When you have the cover off also check the cam timing. If one of the cams is off one tooth, the same results that you described will happen. I have installed an intake cam off by one tooth before. It makes for hard starting, popping and lose of power. Checking the cams will cost you $0.00. Checking the valves will cost you the price of a feeler gauge if you don't already have one ($4-10 us).

If you find that a valve or the cam is out, you will need to re-balance the carbs again.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Default thanks guys

thanks for all of your continued 2 cents.
I will honestly try to put time this weekend toward working on the bike, but I also have to fix my grandmother's guttering (that board that the gutter is connected too is rotting and coming off of her roof).
Anyway my plan of action is as follows: I will try to start it up and get its current state on video. Then I will take pictures along the way as I take it apart, pull out the carbs and try to clean them. I think this will serve to both allow for all of you to critique (constructively and destructively) exactly what I'm doing, which will help the learning experience, but It will also help me in the sense that It would be like having a bunch of seasoned veterans standing there, telling me what I'm doing wrong, and the correct way to do things.
To be honest, the problems might very well be all due to the torn diaphragm (thats what SHE said, har har: sorry couldn't resist) since I did everything quickly to try to get the bike back together before nightfall, I may have overlooked a tiny hole, perhaps.
Once I fully document and attempt to clean the carbs again, We'll see where I'm at.
If that didn't fix it, I'll follow timbuctwo's advice about vale lashes (I'll have to figure out what all of that stuff is first, though)
Thanks cooltim for that big writeup: I'll try to closely follow that as I'm trying to clean and take pictures.
Thanks again guys
Nick

Old 07-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Wow, I'm a slacker.
A full month since I said that I would really try to work on the bike...
To be fair, last week, I took off the plastics, and coaxed it to start while recording it on video/with audio, so that I could post and get feedback from you helpful guys, but when I went to figure out where to upload it to (I guessed youtube, with a link), I realized that my car license plate was clearly visible about 40 percent of the time during the video. Not wanting any online jerks the mess with me (I'm really not one to tempt fate, things like that happen all the time), I decided I would have to make a new movie of the same, with my car parked out of shot. Sorry about that.
I should be able to make another one this weekend. whenever I get a chance to create the video of warming up/starting the motorcycle, I'll upload it immediately, and begin taking things apart to begin a thorough carb cleaning. I will also take pictures along the way, both for my personal reference of where things go, but also, so you guys might give me any feedback.
What would be the best way of getting such pictures and videos to you guys? can you upload sets of pictures on here? And movies, for that matter?
Thanks
Nick

Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Adjust Valves, Timing Chain Check, Clean and bench Sync carbs, Install carbs and running sync. Game over.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ThaBrock
Adjust Valves, Timing Chain Check, Clean and bench Sync carbs, Install carbs and running sync. Game over.
I've got a 91 that idles a little rough and pops too. it was fine when I parked it for a month and then it ran like crap. I've been running seafoam through it and it is slowly getting to run better, plus I am actually running it!!! rather than letting it sit and rott.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Exclamation My decision

Alright guys.
I figured I'd come here first for this, as it only makes sense (Since I've had the bike, I've used this website for how-tos and other various info, as well as helpful members' advice.)
I've come to the conclusion that as much as I wish that I did, I don't live the lifestyle that would allow for major projects, such as keeping an older, rarer bike like mine in great shape. I also feel it would be better off being enjoyed by collectors/fans of this unique bike. There is a part of me that wants to spend the time to get it working, and it feels like making it run beautifully is only a couple hours of work away...
Summer is pretty much over, though, and I hadn't gotten to ride it at all. I work full time all week, try to spend my free time studying for the GRE so I can go back to school and hopefully get a PHD (if not, then at least a master's), and I really don't have the time or money to finesse this bike into working properly. Every chunk of time that I'd like to spend working on the bike is perpetually stolen by every other thing that demands my time.

What it comes down to, is that I think I have to be realistic with my time right now, and instead of hoarding it for "later" as a "rainy day project", hoping that I might have some free time at some point, which I seriously doubt I will in the near future, I will have to go ahead and bite the bullet.

My family thinks I should use it as a trade-in for a few hundred dollars off a new bike, if I want to get a new one or something like that, but I'd rather see if anyone that genuinely WANTS this bike would like to buy it.
I live in North county (Florissant) MO (USA), and I don't have a trailer or anything, so whoever wanted it would have to supply means of transportation for it (as I wouldn't trust it on the highway, until whatever thats bogging the throttle response is fixed)
If anyone has advice as far as where on this forum I should post an ad for this (if you can do that here) or how I should go about finding someone that is interested in this bike.
Thank you all so much for everything over the years.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough mate. All I want to do is hit the button and ride, not work on my bike. If mine was giving me heaps all Summer I'd probably do the same thing.

See if the Admin will let you post it in the for sale section on the forum. I think there's a 100 posts minimum before you can sell stuff?? Maybe it'd be cool since you've been a member since '06?? It can't hurt to ask anyway...

That'd be the best place to find somebody who really wants the bike.

Any thoughts on another bike??

Quick Reply: General Advice Needed- Should I try to fix, sell, or trade in towards new(or used)