CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

General Advice Needed- Should I try to fix, sell, or trade in towards new(or used)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question General Advice Needed- Should I try to fix, sell, or trade in towards new(or used)

I haven't been on the forums in over a year. Sadly, I've been on my motorcycle only slightly more than that. After resolving my electrical system situation (see https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...venture-89338/)
I had only been able to take a few trips due to post-graduation work, and helping my girlfriend with her two kids (not mine, I haven't been THAT busy since school).
Now I am at a point in my life where I'm gearing up for grad school, trying to make time to study for the GRE, while working full time, and spending hours and hours on trying to make my bike run is becoming less of an option. After almost a year of relatively problem free riding, hundreds of dollars invested in a new stator, several reg/rects, help from friends, family, and this forum, and lots of time that I didn't really have, the bike is now again in a state in which I cannot ride.

I will try to cut to the chase and explain the problem as quick as possible, and hope to see what you guys think I should do.

First, like always, the bike was difficult to start, particularly in colder weather.
Now, however, after being completely warmed up, it sounds weird (I'll explain shortly), and must be revved up really high while letting go of the clutch, otherwise the bike will just stutter and die. No idea why this happens; The bike was running fine, had newly changed oil just a couple months prior, and I was only able to ride it a couple times a week. The weird sound can almost be described as somewhat similar to an outboard motor in a small bass-style boat. Almost like a putter. After trying to figure out what It could be, and actually taking apart the carbs and cleaning everything (using info from the manual and this forum, and seafoam, haha) I had discovered that prior to cleaning, it didn't look dirty or clogged at all, in the first place.
I was stumped.
After putting it back together, I was frustrated and ready to give up. I just wanted my bike to run, for the love of GOD! I suppose in my frustration, I did something really idiotic, which was to let the bike idle for about 5-10 minutes without riding it. I had thought that maybe if I could get some gas through the engine, the problem might resolve itself. I hadn't been paying attention and mowed the lawn while I let the bike "do its thing". The bike overheated (apparently) because green coolant spilled out. (I know I deserve any verbal abuse this may incur; this is very similar to something I did while trying to fix the electrical problem, seen in the above-linked post) that time, however, I found that the coolant joint/elbow was damaged, and the pressure was just enough to pop loose the cracked joint, but not enough to pop up coolant cap. I'm kind of simultaneously ashamed and frustrated for doing something so stupid.

At this point, I don't know what I should do. I want to be able to ride a motorcycle, but I haven't checked the extent of this latest overheating damage was (hopefully popped cap or hose, rather than something worse).
I'm wondering if I should just throw in the towel and either try check to see if I can fix the newest problem I caused involving coolant, and then ride it to a bike repair shop so they can fix the original issue, or try to trade in this bike and get a newer bike, or If I should sell it, Or try to bite the bullet and get some help figuring out how to fix this.

At what point, if ever, do you suggest I try to find a new bike? At what point is it simply money and time smart to move on to something less temperamental and easier to replace/repair if need be? This bike is pretty rare in the states (I'm in the midwest USA), and any and all repairs I've done have been pretty costly.

If anyone can offer general advice, or a plan of action for someone in my situation, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nick B

Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate, you did nothing wrong letting the bike idle on it's own so don't beat yourself up over it! In 5 to 10 minutes I can't see any real harm being done since it would have taken almost that long to get hot anyway. Unless there was litres of coolant on the floor and the bike had seized I wouldn't worry.

As to your weird noise, I can't really help off the top of my head but will have a think. Can you record it and post for us? others have done this and the 'Brains Trust' have been able to help.

Prior to all your drama, did the bike run well, pull hard, brake and steer well? how many km / miles are on it? Does it blow smoke or use oil? Is the compression good, and even across the pots? These are the factors that I would base my decision, as to whether to replace it, on. If it's a good bike then it's worth fixing. As long as the motor's sound it can only be a spark or fueling issue causing your grief.

If it's not running right you'll get sod all trade in anyway and you can't be sure that what you buy isn't a lemon anyway.

Chill out, think it through and don't make any rushed decisions that you might regret later.

Good luck,

Dave.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you seem to have plenty of other commitments and these bikes command a
small time commitment of their own but not to the point of exasperation.

I'd change the oil and fix the cracked T coolant joint (if that's the one that broke - usually
it is) and it sounds like your radiator fan thermo switch is done ....maybe fit a manual one
(about 15 minutes work) and don't let it idle without the fan being on or being in motion.

In any event an older bike like a Hurricane will demand steady maintenance , if your
time commitment is at odds with that ....you'll have to decide ......but in any event
most bikes older & newer don't like going without being ridden for long periods of time.

Reading your post it seems to come down to two things ( the great denominators )

Time & Money

Me I 'd keep it and and fix it and seek help (us ) and maybe take it to a shop if all else fails

Last edited by Sprock; 03-21-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Talking

Hell just give it to me....

Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
Hell just give it to me....
For the love of all humanity, don't do it, the bike will die a very slooooooow death

Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Will this be another monster thread I wonder? The last one streached to 18 pages

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...venture-89338/

Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Will this be another monster thread I wonder? The last one streached to 18 pages
Doesn't need to be, just do what the man said and give it to Indy

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by hawkwind
The last one streached to 18 pages

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...venture-89338/
It was kind of like "Tess of the D'Urbryvilles" without the excitment [ Nastassja Kinski]

Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey 93cbr1000f, you said that you had the carbs apart. Have you re-synced them? It sounds like they are way out of whack. That would explain the lack of low end power, hard starting and the blubbering sound. Also if one cylinder was running way to hot you could experience over heating.

If you don't have a syncing tool you could go the drill bit route.

It involves removing the carbs and sliding the smallest drill bit you can find under the butterflies and making them the same.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Smile

haha @ hawkwind & kiwi.
Indeed my last thread was epic.(not necessarily in a good way either :P)

Perhaps I was seeking reassurance that I'm not throwing good money after bad, or wasting my time. I do want to see this fix rather than throw my hands up, which isn't quite my style.
After all that work solving electrical issues, I'd have to throw myself off a bridge if I decided to call it quits now.

When it (possibly) overheated this last time, and coolant spilled, it had NOT seized up (If I remember correctly. I'm 99% sure the bike was still running, although I was in a panicked state at that point, I suppose anything is possible). In my panic, I remember that I had rushed to turn the bike off, which I probably wouldn't have done so quickly if it had completely seized. In fact, if it had died, I probably would have forgot to pull the key out haha. We'll go with not seized.

@TimbucTwo
I'm thinking this may be part of the original problem. My technical knowledge doesn't quite match my desire or ambition, and while I can physically take apart the carbs, according to a manual and diagrams, I don't know the basics or convention behind diagnosing problems or anything much beyond changing tires or oil.
I'm the kind of person who grew up taking stuff apart and (usually) put them back together, which eventually led to my habit of putting together my own computers and other geeky things, but also led to my desire to accumulate and use tools whenever I can.
If someone has a good, comprehensive guide, hopefully beyond the service manual (that I of course found on here as well) which sort of showed how to physically take apart the carbs and put them back to gether, It would help me avoid totally ruining the bike.
Basically all i did when I took them apart was
1) observe that they were pretty clean
2) rubbed some seafoam on it
3) put it back together

Is there a good guide for this? It literally took me several hours to take apart and put back together, and only a handful of seconds to wipe it down.
I wouldn't know exactly what I'm doing with carb synching/balancing (I dont REALLY know what it means either), and I would hate to take everything apart and then do a half-butted(you know what I mean. I dont know what the forum rules on that word is hah) job.

@TimbucTwo (still)
Should I invest in a synching tool? while I was trying to diagnose the problem and spoke to various (car) mechanics, they thought it sounded like a carb problem, but gave me no details. Being the idiot I am, I didn't realize there was more than cleaning it if it were necessary.

Pending further suggestions by you guys, I'll try to spend some time this weekend doing what I can(purchasing the T coolant joint or whatever spilled the coolant)
and if all other things are good to go, and the bike can be kicked over, I'll get my little digital camera out (that has a video record option) and record and post a video somewhere to see if anyone can brain-trust diagnose for me before I take the carbs apart.

Also, at this point, it looks like this thread probably doesn't belong in "off topic"
If this belongs somewhere else, or I should start a new thread, I suppose a moderator can let me know and/or I will do what I can accordingly.
Thanks for this and your future help that I hope to receive.

@hawkwind & kiwi again: Upon reflection it seems that one of the reasons my last thread was so long is that I am pretty verbose and tend to type walls of text to try to get my point across. If I was more knowledgeable, I would probably be more concise, but as it is, I have no idea what I'm talking about usually, ha.

Quick Reply: General Advice Needed- Should I try to fix, sell, or trade in towards new(or used)