CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Gas in my oil?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas in my oil?

I think I have a big problem. I checked my oil and it was very high. It also smelled like gas!

I hope it is just because of my earlier float valve issue; is it possible that the gas seeped through past the pistons and into the crankcase? The scary thing is I rode it like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Patrick

Old 04-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Gas in my oil?

It is possible to have fuel end up in your crankcase, if the bike stood idle for a length of time, and the carbs were leaking. Drain the oil, replace oil and filter and if it hasn't broken by now, you may have been lucky.......

Old 04-05-2008, 11:48 PM

Thanks Shadow,

I am hoping that I didn't kill it. I thought I was having starter issues the other day. I kept seeing SEIZED ENGINE under starter issues, in my Haynes book. Yikes!!! I tried it the other day and it started; twice so far.
Too late to buy oil till Tuesday. Guess I could check the float levels one more time. If it were mildly off, it should still stop the flow when the bowls fill, right?

Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 AM

Drain your oil, Motley, and leave it standing in the open - the fuel may evaporate out.
Remove the plugs and spin the motor to remove any more fuel left in the cylinders, which could cause "cylinder wash" and remove the lubrication from the barrels - NOT a good thing.....
If your needles and seats are in good order (I suspect not...) it wouldn't have allowed gas to dribble into the combustion chambers, so I'd check that....
Your fuel tap should have a vacuum diaphragm in it, which prevents such things ???

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 AM

Oh good idea I wasn't going to drain the oil till I got some oil, but your way seems more thought out.
Mine (87) has a manual petcock, and used to have a fuel pump. That was my back-up for any brainfarts (leaving petcock on)

I expect to see a video of this hill of 1000 curves on u-tube in the future.
Thanks again,
Patrick

P.S. I found some aftermarket needles (thanks Collector) how do I check the seats? Can they be replaced? And, if not, where is that guy cleaning out his garage? hehe

Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 AM

"Hill of 1000 curves"....? Not sure I know what you mean....perhaps"valley of 1000 hills" where I live ?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM

Oh crap, I read it a few days ago, should have fact checked.us I do however remember somthing about Hillary Clinton and Sniper fire.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 PM

If it helps, I will have a complete set of carbs up for sale within two weeks. These will be ready to use as they are coming off my bike and they are already set up for a 87fh. The reason for the sale is that I have had a set reconditioned and they will be going on this weekend.

It just a thought as they will be going up on ebay anyway. PM me if your interested.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Ya know,

Normally I would opt. to do it my self, but if the carbs. are anything like the rest of your bike I couldn't lose. Might be a treat to see how a properly setup set will feel.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM

When you change your oil give it a flush with some cheap oil first. I'd rather have cheap oil residue in my motor than fuel residue. It's a trick that I regularly use on my old diesel after a kero flush. Works a treat.

PS. G.day collector. Good to see you're still around.

Search this Thread