CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

fuel pump and relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump and relay

Hi Everyone,
I am working on an 88 cbr1000f. My fuel pump is bad to the point of blowing fuses, and my fuel relay works intermittent. I've read several posts on here about removal of the pumpand have decided that is an option, but what about the relay. My Haynes manual wiring schematic shows wiring going from the relayto the fuel pump and also to the tach, spark unit and coils. I'm trying to troubleshoot fuel before proceeding to spark, and was wondering if the relaywould cause any issueswith the spark unit and coils. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: fuel pump and relay

If you're asking whether removal of the relay will cause issues in other areas, I think it would.Are you sure your fuel pump is bad ?- could it not just be a wiring issue ? Relays generally work 100% or not at all, which makes me think there's a wiring problem somewhere..........

Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 AM

I believe the pump is bad, I removed the relay and used a jumper wire per the Haynes manual for the relay test. I immediately blew a fuze. I then unplugged the pump, replaced the fuze and had power all the way to pump plug. I tried running a jumper from the battery to the pump directlyand still couldn't get it to work. Ihad power through the relay earlier in the day, but after a while, I had power to it, but not out of it. Is there something else I'm missing? Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:31 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the pump's toated......pity. Also sounds like the relay's now gone too.
Let's see what the other guys say when they see your post.......
I'm not an electrical wiz - some of them are....

Old 05-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Exactly, if you by-pass the relay, you should be able to power up the fuel pump with a 12V feed. I wouldnt rule out the relay, but it sounds like the pump may have been interminant and not the relay. REplace the pump with a known-good one and then test it out before replacing the relay. The relay is just a high cuurent switch that is controlled by a low current from your ignition switch.Like Shadow mentioned, they either work or dont. Good luck skipper!!

PS, was your original plan to remove the pumpand relay and just gravity feed your carbs?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your replys, Shadow1 and Gill. I just recently purchased this bike and am trying to get it running. It had set outside since last fall.

Gill -- Yes, I'm hoping to try to run withoutboth the relay and pumpsince they were kind of pricey, but I'm thinking that according to the wiring schematic, the relay is needed as it has wiring leading the the tach, spark unit and coils. I think my relay failed, as I can not get anything through it now. If I have to, I'll purchase a new relay. Thanks again.