CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Free Play on swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:33 AM
dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MOT Faliure

I just put my rear suspension together after replacing a swingarm from an accident.

The top of the shock is a sleeve bearing, the bottom is a rubber bushing in the aluminum knuckle typical to suspension type bushings molded with an outer and inner metal sleeve, and the balance, three joints, are needle bearings with the inner race acting as a spacer. All can and should be drawn up full tight, manually lifting the suspension in the upward direction to take all bolt play out in the direction that it will be loaded in service.

The needle bearing joints are as follows: 1)The one that connects to the swingarm, 2)one to the stamped steel links, and 3)another at the frame end of those links. All of those joints have seals on them, including the shock top bushing. Final assembled and tightened there is virtually no play. You can access the top shock bolt with a long extension and 14MM socket from the left side by removing the body panel. It has a welded nut on the opposit side so only can be turned from the left. The balance are through bolts with nuts and reasonably accessible. The top shock bolt is a good candidate for being loose. Most of the rest are likely to be needle bearings bad if play exists and the bolts are tight.

That swing arm assembly is a good winter project to go through and inspect, clean, and repack with grease.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:52 AM

Morning,
Thanks for that. I actually have the whole thing stripped out anyway, and I reckon its the top bush thats the issue, as lifting the rear wheel causes the shock to slightly lift. None of the bolts were loose, as I dismantled this summer last year to grease the bearings. All torques were correct, so top bush seems the best bet. I am just waiting now to receive all the ally and swingarm, and exhaust cowlings back from powder coating now, next is forks!!!

Ara

Old 02-14-2006, 10:33 PM

I thought that was cause of too many D. Heads on the road, I wont take my bike out unless is was up to scratch. CBR don't have crumple zones or air bags, so there's not a lot of room for compromise.

I see a few people on the road on scooters and mopeds, with open face helmets and shorts or shirts, that put a shiver down my spine.

Note: It's usually the girls that have the shirts;
sorry about the double post before (???)

Old 02-15-2006, 06:09 AM

MarkR,

MOT stands for Ministery of Transport, its what the UK department of transport was formally known as. The MOT certificate / test is the (at minimum) annual road safety test (although you can test your vehicle at any time) that a vehicle has to pass in order for it to be allowed to ride / drive on UK roads. You need this in order to get a valid certificate of insurance, and to purchase a road tax disk. Only applies to vehicles over 3 years old tho.

Hope that explains it.

See link below for further info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOT_test

Kev.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:05 AM

Morning,
As described above the MOT is an annual test, but I believe you have a different system in Australia. Isnt there road tax included within fuel over there?? And I have been told that there is a basic third party insurance built in to the fuel charge so that there is always someone to claim against. ie if there is a smash there is no such thing as an uninsured driver at least to a basic level. Pehaps this was wrong, Let us know though.

Ara

Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 AM

3rd Party is included in the Rego, so If I hit someone, then they are covered for personal injury, you get billed for property damage.
Most people take out full insurance so that everything is covered except for the excess.

If your get pulled over and your vehicle is not roadworthy, you get fined and you are ordered to fix it; allowed to dive it home or to a garage for repair; or you have to call a Towie to transport it for you.

Some states have Road Worthy Certificates so your vehicle has to be checked every year, I’m in Queensland, so I don't.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 AM

Afternoon,
That is a great system as far as the insurance is concerned. Due to EXTORTIONATE rates over here in uk, (as an example, I wanted to teach my 17yr old daughter to drive in our £100 old Honda Accord, for which I was quoted £3700, which for you is 8677 Aus Dollars) there are too many uninsured drivers. At least you know you have somewhere to go in the first instance. Over here, the offender with no insurance gets no ill effect at all, and you are left with all the bills, least of which is probably your own excess.

Getting a bit off-topic but good to hear how other countries deal with all this..

Ara