CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

engine flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine flush

ORIGINAL: Trips

Never had a problem with it and I am a big lad and this includes track days, top speed runs, drags etc.

Diesel oil does not contain addites that muake clutches slip like the friction modified car oils.

Some diesel oils do contain higher levels than others of ash. The best ones to go for are the ones the have both clasifications on the bottle I.E C*/S*. They have a lower amount of ash. The ones with a single classification ie just C* are usually for the sootier Diesel engines.

Just to give you an update on how the bike is doing after using diesel fuel to flush the engine. After the initial start the cam chain does rattle, but once the oil has got up to the top the rattle has gone. Now done 1500 miles approx and it goes like stink, well impressed with the performance. Also did an mpg check last night and found her to be doing 52.5, and this is mainly city riding, so I'm very pleased with how its going. Will be going for a dyno check shortly, will let you know what the results are.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 10-28-2006, 06:05 AM

Hi there,

I am just courious, how do you usually use your bike ?
I am asking because I have the impression, that if a bike is used daily on longer trips, that it self will help keep the engine clean.
I say this becasue I daily do about 100km to and from work at speeds from 70 km/h to 160 km/h, and my bike has done about 61000km, an I find no indication that it needs an enginecleaning.
I use good quality oil in it.
My two previous bikes were used the same way, and no problem there either.

But other people I know seems to have more problem with their bikes, and they only use them on weekends and holidaytrips.
Problems like engine running poor, bad acceleration and so on.

Could this not be because a bike is build to be used not to be stored in a garage ? :-) (not accusing collector of this...)

Old 10-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole diesel fuel flushing thing is new to me. If you have an engine apart on the bench diesel fuel is great to clean parts but it freaks me out to think of running the bike with this instead of oil!
I'm with the last guy, in that I run 100km to and from work (round trip), use good oil, and change it every 5000km (filter every 10000km) and I think this is all an engine needs to keep it clean.
If I did ever flush my engine I would drop the flushing agent, then flush again with cheap oil, then change my filter and then re-fill with good oil.
p.s. A 50km ride is a great way to start and finish a day at work isn't it?
Dave.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:38 AM

You guys suck! :P

My bike barely has time to warm up before I am at work. Most of my commuting is spent sitting at traffic lights or rolling the dice and lane splitting down the freway.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 PM

I purchased the bike (or rescued would be better) in the early part of summer and it was in a sorry state and in need of some tlc, so hence that the engine needed cleaning amongst other things. It would have been simplier had the original owner looked after her, but that said, the bike is running very well and only really gets used on evening and weekends, only on the odd occassions would I be tempted to use it to get to work but you should see some of the drivers at 0500hrs, scary and not awake, always in a hurry.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 10-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Sorry to disappoint you trips, but I have to travell 30miles to get to work, and most of that is on dual carriageways where you can really open her up. You never said how far you have to travel, so I presume that it is within 5 miles of your home.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 PM

15 mins travel.

5 Mins riding 10 sitting at lights. Distance 12km

Thats why I have to get out in the country and wring its neck out on weekends or I would go crazy!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM

dont blame you, I would get jacked off too. I hate getting caught up in traffic but at least on the bike you can just swan off down the middle to the front of the cue.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 PM

All fuels and oils are Hydrocarbons. Gas for regular cars is just really thin oil...or Motor oil for cars is just really thick fuel.

Running only diesel fuel seems pretty scary (without scientific proof), why not mix it with oil atleast? Since they are all hydrocarbons, they will mix together, and you have some confidence the engine is getting some sort of engineered lubricant.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM

What about if you fill it wil diesel, turned it over for a minute or two with the kill switch off (so the bike does not fire) then dump the diesel and fill it with oil?

Quick Reply: engine flush