CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Do not race a blackbird.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've owned an 88 CBR1000F and I currently own a 96 CBR1000F and a 99 CBR1100XX.

I can't say that I'm an expert but by my own seat of the pants assessment I would think you would have to do a heck of a lot to the gearing on an F model for it to stay with an XX up to triple digits.

Now I obviously feel that both the F and the XX are super bikes or I wouldn't own both of them. Both look great. Both fun to ride. I find the F model a bit more comfortable.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With road riding particularly it's really
not the size of the man in the fight but the size of the fight in the man !
Also, knowing the full capabilities of your bike will make up for the difference between the 1000F and others if the other guy is less experienced with his machine.
I was riding with a GSX750 the other day, and we all know how wicked those things are.............down some serious twisties, I look around and he's 100 meters back.........when we stopped he commented on how fast my bike was. I didn't have the heart to tell him he didn't know how to ride the GSX750, just thanked him for the compliment.
There are sooooo many young riders who can only run fast in a straight line - as if that was the yardstick for measuring a bike's capabilities.......................and the size of the rider's....................................LoL.

Guy Martin's my hero

I will bet that on a "go as fast as you can" ride from Durban to Cape Town, which is just short of 1000 Miles, you can bring what you like but the 1000F will be there first AND the rider will be able to walk upright ! They aren't the fastest, but man can they eat up the miles !!!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:15 AM

And that's how you catch an xx with an F. You put Guy Martin on the F. Would work in my opinion. The man's a legend!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

guy martin is al-right,,, but milla jovavitch is my hero lol

Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by KenG
guy martin is al-right,,, but milla jovavitch is my hero lol
Milla Jovovich----- Is hotter than the 1000f and blackbird XX together.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just don't put John McGuinnes on the Blackbird.............................

And some of you are confusing **** with *****................................

Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Just don't put John McGuinnes on the Blackbird.............................

And some of you are confusing **** with *****................................

Not once in my lifetime Shadow..

Cheers, SB

Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shoot forgot about sticky #5 again

Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Welcome Crew

100-105 at the top of 3rd? I know she's got more than that, I usually let off mine at 10k in 2nd and it's right at 100... not that I've ever done that on public roads...

17/42 gearing too

Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thedrewski86
100-105 at the top of 3rd? I know she's got more than that, I usually let off mine at 10k in 2nd and it's right at 100... not that I've ever done that on public roads...

17/42 gearing too
10K in second = 100? MPH I assume. Well, perhaps, but 100 MPH on my speedometer = around 94 MPH on the GPS. Point is, most speedometers read fast, and tire / gearing can throw them even farther off.

Story on point: my father ran a tune-up, automotive electrical and speedometer repair shop from the early 1950's until his passing in 1993.

Back in the 50's the big indicator of having a fast car was its ability to top Gore Hill at 60 MPH or better. One day a customer came in upset that his new car would only top the hill a few MPH shy of 60. He wanted Dad to tune it up and get a few more horsepower out of it.

Dad went through it, adjusted the timing, changed the sparkplugs, and adjusted the carburetor.

The customer went out and hit the hill. The next day he was back. It was a little better, but not 60 yet. He asked Dad find another few ponies.

Dad readjusted things, including checking valve clearances this time. He even put a little more air in the tires to reduce rolling resistance.

The customer tried again. No luck. He came back.

Dad went through this a couple more times with the same results. When our determined customer came back the second to the last time irked that he could only get 59 MPH over the hill Dad told him he had one more trick up his sleeve but it would take some time. Could the car be left overnight? That was agreed to.

That night Dad pulled the speedometer and set it to read 3 MPH faster.

The customer's last visit was to boast of topping the hill at 62 MPH and tell Dad he was a genius.

Moral of the story: don't really trust your speedometer. Or maybe the guy that works on it.

Not that Dad did that often. He was proud that a speedometer he rebuilt was as accurate or more so than when it came from the factory. For a good many years he calibrated speedometers for the Montana Highway Patrol. I still have his calibration machine in the basement along with bins and bins of speedometer parts, none of which I have any idea what they fit. (it's possible that grammar ***** among us fainted at that last sentence. Sorry all.)

Last edited by DRam; 09-22-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Do not race a blackbird.