CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

D-220's?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-220's?

Hey guys I just put a new set of Dunlop D-220's on my 95 1000F. Is it just me or do they feel kinda weird in turns like they wouldnt hold at higher speeds? Anyone ever had these on thier Hurricane?

-1000FFreakyFast

Old 04-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Default RE: D-220's?

Hey 1000FFreakyFast... I currently have D220's on my FL - about 3,500km racked up on them so far and I think they're great. I've only just recently aquired my CBRF and had the new tyres fitted after a couple 100 k's so I really can't compare them to any other tyres out there. But compared to the old battleax's I used to have on my old bike (GT750) these ones are far superior. Not that I lean enough to scrape a knee in a corner but I have every confidence in them to take tight corners at speed and to push myself to lean that little bit harder. I've ridden in the wet a few times too and haven't noticed any slipping or other bad habbits... but I tend to take it easy in the wet... I like my skin the way it is!

Addition... don't forget you have to give the tyres some time to wear in... the mould release compound that gets left on tyre takes a couple hundred k's to wear off... and also keep in mind that when you ride upright it only wears off the stuff on the centre of the tyre, so when you corner hard it's still slippery for a bit. When I got mine on I went and found a nice long windy backroad and road up and down it for 150km going slow at first and building up speed as I went. In saying all that, mine were'nt as slippery as I thought they'd be to start off.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:33 AM

When I had 220's I did not feel all that confident in them. I had a problem with the rear loosing traction while exiting corners full throttle. Somtimes it wasn't that big of a deal but one time I almost ended up in a high-side type situation...SCARY. I then went to Metzler M1's which were awesome, no complaints.

The 220s are a decent tire though and will allow you to lean your bike further than you should need to. Go easy on the throttle while leaned over and you'll get used to them.

I now am running pilot powers and they are by far my favorite tire yet! I drag knees, exhaust, centerstand, and not a complaint from my tires. I felt almost as good on the M1's but they didn't seem to wear as well as the PP's when you start to really abuse them.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:47 AM

I've never pushed my bike hard and probably never will... not around the corners anyway.

Need to keep in mind that the D220's were designed to be sports-tourers... not sports tyres. If you want something that'll give you good grip while fanging it then go for the more sports orientated softer compound tyres.

I got the D220's cause I like the idea of thedual compound harder centres due to the fact I tour around alot and also fortheir advertised wet grip handling. I might try the Michilen Pilot Roads next time round and see how they go.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Thanx guys, I think what I need to do is get some more one on one time with the bike with the new tires and all. Last weekend was the first time riding it since i layed it down (due to worn out qualifiers in a turn) so I think that I need to get the feel of it back in general before judgin the tires. Ive heard that if you want a new bike and only have a couple hundred dollars, then put a new set of tires on it and itll feel like a totally different bike and i htink thats what im feeling along with gettin the feel back after a spill.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:19 AM

A tip to speed up the process of running in new tyres (and getting ird of the release compound) is to give them a tidy up with a wide wire brush. Not enough to damage the tyre, but enough to scuff the surface and prevent a woopsy on the first wet day!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 AM

I've never yet found a pair of dunlops I like.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't care for the 220's. They slid in the turns. The front slid the most and washed out many times. I don't think that they lasted any longer being a harder compound. I may be mistaken but I thought they had a harder center for the touring part of the sport/touring tire. Mine were used up on the sides and new down the center. Be carefull in the rain, the are scary there.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm running 220's and I think they're a good tire for what they are designed to do.I've run them in rain with no problems. Just returned from a 1,600 mile weekend trip and the tires road well, and handled great at high speed touring. They have around 2k on them. Just my 2 cents.

Search this Thread