CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Could it Be Locked or not ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could it Be Locked or not ??

how is everyone I know it's been a while since l rolled through the hatch I have been working quite a bit with this instructors position and hate to just drop by when I have a problem. But I have run into something I have never experienced before so going to throw as much detail into it as possible as usual. After making a short trip of 423.5 miles the bike was running great. But now after two or three days of short distance riding and we all know how the old 1000 hates short runs for the electrical system. It wouldn't start acted somewhat like a dead battery. Hold on now shadow, not electrical problem, at least I don't think so. But at that particular moment, I decided to push the old girl off, the only problem was she acted just as if the motor was locked up no matter what gear. She was put in the rear tire slid just as if the rear brake was being held. I decided to pull the clutch in and place it in about third gear and roller it backwards motor decompressed hit the starter switch engine rollover to about the same point where it stopped again. So I tried rolling it backwards some more and popping the clutch. After rotating it probably 360° I hit the starter switch and it rolled over several times complete revolutions and started didn't have the problem again until a few days ago. Now it is intermediate sometimes it does it only after it has set for awhile. Or sometimes after just stopping for gas. I am clueless as to what the problem can be I did place a meter on it. Just to check the voltage to make this part of the equation shorter. I ended up testing it with a 200 amp 12 V battery this was a brand-new battery for something other than a motorcycle and don't want to hear any sh*t about it. It pulled it down to 9 V when it is locked up but now, when it is free turning no major voltage drop and for the record the battery in the CBR itself is brand-new and is the correct one for it. Anybody got any ideals what could be going on with the damn thing. The R1 rebuild is about finished, but hate to put the old girl out to pasture. She has been a good reliable ride, up until this point and will always be a much better 2 up ride then the R1

Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Could it Be Locked or not ??

Hi Gunny, good to see you back safe.
I had a similar problem with a GSX1100 I was rebuilding - turned out to be a bent valve.....
Now I'm not saying this is your problem, but the symptoms are the same..........
It may not be bent, just sticky ?
Run a compression test on it.
My 2c worth.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Friend and Hero ...

You're probably on to something their shadow cam chaining is making more noise than normal, and the valves are to the point where they should have been adjusted about 800 miles ago. According to the good old manual.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 AM

Only other thing I can think of is a sticky starter motor, which would give similar symptoms.
Best option would be to pull off the lower left crankshaft cover, and spin the motor, plugs out, with a ratchet spanner - If it jams tight, could be either one.
Best guess, Gunny - sorry I can't be more specific. If the camchain is worn, perhaps the cam timing is off(and therefore the valves are bumping into a piston)

Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How sad!
The first thing I would do at this point is to pull the spark plugs and a side cover. Rotate the engine slowly and see if it stops.

OR... pull the plugs and head cover and rotate the engine while looking for a stuck valve.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Well unfortunately, there are server hundred miles separating me and the CBR this morning, and it will be next weekend before I can get the logistics worked out. But I will manually rotated and see if it is a valve

Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Let us know what you find, please Gunny
(Good for the general "memory bank" )
Hope it's not major.[X(]
SF

Old 09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shes just pouting cuz ya neglected her so much this year HC lol.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old beetle used to be the same - it was the starter motor
Sometimes rocked it helped - but mostly a smart "Tap" with my magic mallet would free it up