CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Confused and NEED Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused and NEED Help

Ok so i picked up a 88 cbr 1000 street fighter. Dude told me alls it needed was the cam chain tensioner. Well i was comparing it to one on ebay and i dont think its broke. I then was goign thru the parts and i realized the cover that goes over the cam chain one of the pieces the bold ioto broke off with the bolt ( alss i gotta say is liquid wrench would have broke it free). And one of the cam caps is broke. Any suggest one where to start with this sled???

Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had a top end rebuild and one of my cam caps was broken, they can be welded up, mine cost AU$88 to get fixed, as for the tensioner you may have to put up a listing in parts wanted to get what you need.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Read the post in "how to's" for how to rebuild your tensioner.
E-Bay UK will have a cam cover for sure - just look. Last one I saw was about $20 US.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Welcome Crew

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
No biggie ... just find a good motor engineer and they will weld it for you as jarvid said , or buy a new cap , take your cam and the cap to them(the engineers) and they will build it up and machine it to suit ...in either case it is just a pain in the **** more than a huge issue ...

good luck mate ...
You cannot buy the caps seperately, they are part of the cyl head assy and do not have their own part number

Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM

so i spent all day yesterday drivin around talkin and lookin for parts, no body wants to sell me a cap by its self not even the junk yards. Also found out that the top cam chain guide (looks more like a cover to me) when someone was takin that off they couldnt get a bolt free and the part of the head it bolts to broke off. A junkyard about 45 min from the house said 150 for a head thats had water in it or 200 for a dry one. So not rele sure which route im gonna take. I honestly wanna go the cheap one, not alot of money ya know. But at the same time i want it to be sound and i wanna ride it this summer.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Also was comparing my tensioner to pix online of ones for sale like on ebay. The only difference i noticed on my is what looks to be a rubber nipple lookin piece at the very bottom that looks like it does nothing. Any thoughts on this also would be great

Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hey , g_bay, can you take a few pics of your busted and suspect parts and post them up mate ???

yeah lemme see what i can do

Quick Reply: Confused and NEED Help