CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Charging system issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system issues

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 1994 cbr1000f. It's my second motorcycle and I'm kind of worried about something. Thanks in advance, it's a bit long and detailed. When I got the bike the P/O told me he thought the stator ( everyone seems to call it an alternator on this bike so I'll start to after that mention) was bad. I checked it following the service manual found here http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...ice_Manual.pdf

Voltage at 5k rpms was 11.8

Stator coils were all .7-.8 ohms, field coil was 2.7 ohms, and battery voltage was found on the red/white wire and the green.

One pin on the stator (one of the connections to the stator coils) was not connected to any other pin, and the plastic was melted around it.

So I replaced the R/R with a cheap no name unit purchased on eBay. The motorcycle charged after that, 13.4 volts at 5k rpms. I didn't expect it to last long given the cost but it was within 50 miles and it failed again.

What bothers me is that it's the same pin that was damaged before. Am I just worrying too much? I rechecked the stator coils and field coil and they're still within spec. I ordered an Electrosport ESR230 as a replacement and really don't want to ruin another if there's something I'm missing.

Again thank you to anyone with any advice, or even taking the time to read all the way through it.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Kiddchaos,

Read and digest everything Naga_Thai has written in this link...........he has a lot of experience and knowledge in the area of regulator/rectifiers for the CBR1000F and the pitfalls of replacing with the incorrect, cheaper units.

REGULATOR RECTIFIER - http://tinyurl.com/734engf

Cheers, SB

Old 06-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Thank you Sebastion, I've actually came across that paper multiple times and it was one of the main reasons I picked the Electrosport model.

I'm guessing from your response then that it was just bad luck that the same pin on the R/R gave me issues?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

From memory, Naga's write-up showed that the cheap regulator/rectifiers from Ebay were not suitable at all, even though they stated they were for the CBR1000F. That due to different wiring would fail quickly - which seems borne out by your post.

I hope the Electrosport one fixes your problems! Let us know!

Cheers, SB

Old 06-27-2016, 04:58 PM

Will do, thanks for making me feel a bit better about it. I wouldn't have worried so much if it hadn't been the same pin. I'll let you know if the electrosport one stands up

Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiddchaos
Voltage at 5k rpms was 11.8. Stator coils were all .7-.8 ohms, field coil was 2.7 ohms, and battery voltage was found on the red/white wire and the green.
If you followed the chart in the manual on pg 14-8, there shouldn't be any shorts. The Electrosport R/R (the one I use on my '94) should start charging around 1,500 rpm. 5k rpm with only 11.8v is not so good.

SB is correct about the e-bay cheap R/R's. The are not for a 3-phase charging system with an exciter coil that you have on the '94.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:44 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear Tim, on the third step in the troubleshooting flow chart it asks to check the charging line (red and white wire) against ground (green) for voltage and battery voltage should be found and I found 12.8V (fresh off the charger)

Old 06-29-2016, 05:38 PM

Well after the new R/R was installed I had about 15.7 volts at 5k rpm with the engine just off the choke. I rode for about 50 miles and my final check at home gave me 13.3 volts at 5k rpm. I guess the heat reduced the amount of current reaching the battery. But it was still charging. I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple hundred miles but I think I'm set. Thank you for your help guys. Hopefully I can contribute something to the community in the future.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopefully the failed R/R didn't harm the battery.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:57 AM

It seems to be a pretty solid agm battery. I'm not familiar with the brand but I recharged it and had it tested, it was still putting out 320 cca (speced at 220)

Quick Reply: Charging system issues