CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR1000FR - BLACKBIRD pro's & con's ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel_ARG
I'm thinking the same thing, and reading a lot of different opinions... even asked on another forum specific to the birds, and some of the guys there had 1000F's and agree on the comfortable issue... I consider worth the upgrade for an FI model, otherwise, just keep the 1000F

A good friend of mine is willing to buy my bike, so that's the only reason I'm considering a FI bird as my next ride, but only because of that. I know he's going to care for the 1000F just like I do, and I'll get to see her from time to time, too! hehe

Anyway, I think upgrading to the FI model it's worth it, but for carbs, I'd keep the 1000F.
I thought the same when I was looking. Then i rode three blackbirds.

Carb - This was all the 1000F was and more
Inj - didnt like the power delivery when riding and it felt snatchy
Inj (with power commander and de-cat exhausts ) - nice smooth power but out of price range. ( probably next move for me if i ever NEED to change bikes again )

if you like to work on the bike yourself - i would get the latest and cleanest CARB bike that you can find - it is real easy to work on the carb bikes.

All I did was add an MRA vario screen and a pair of VFR800vtec bars - and it fits me great.
Add a 6mm shim over the rear shock - and some stiffer springs up front - and you have a very good all round bike.

The plastics from any year fit any blackbird.
You can find OEM stainless downpipes from the inj bikes quite cheap and they go straight on the carb bike.
Then stick on a pair of stubby delkevics and it looks sweet.

Attached Thumbnails CBR1000FR - BLACKBIRD  pro's & con's ??-blackbird-delkevic-stubby.jpg  

Last edited by Dean0; 02-25-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 AM

Hmm that's interesting... I like to work on my bikes, so... I guess I must consider getting a carb'd bird

Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel_ARG
Hmm that's interesting... I like to work on my bikes, so... I guess I must consider getting a carb'd bird
And yes - i am now biased cos i still own a blackbird.

But some advantages are real world ones.

1. Almost any mod you buy for a blackbird will fit a newer one IF you decide to change.
2. The cam chain tensioner on a blackbird can be changed in about 15 minutes.
3. An endless cam chain can be changed on the blackbird without major engine surgery.
4. On a like for like run - my blackbird was more ecanomical than my mates 1000f at the same speeds on the same roads travelling together over 500 miles. ( i was surprised too )
5. Blackbird parts (for me) are much easier to find.
6. Blackbirds are lighter than 1000F's and feel even lighter due to the weight being low

Disadvantages - yes there are some - haha

1. The warp drive is adictive and licence threatening !!
2. The blackbird can seriously wear out rear tyres if you like to use the power regularly.
3. The headlight is utter crap !! - (budget for a HID low beam if you ride at night)
4. Out of the box it is not as comfy as a 1000F

I would not go back to a 1000F - but there is nothing wrong with the 1000F either.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 PM

I know I'm late, but...

The F is more comfortable (solo and 2-up) and has more wind protection. That's about it...the XX is better in every _other_ meaningful way IMO. It's faster, lighter, handles WAAY better, has better brakes, is lower maint. (if you go for f.i.), the motor is hugely smoother (wow that is a great motor...one of the best ever in any bike), etc. That is not to say that the choice is obvious though...I'd rather have the F because the comfort is very important to me. The XX is to sportbike-ish for my taste, so it's not a choice for me.

However, if you find the XX comfortable, there is no comparison. I would, however, hold out for a fuel injected one.

Just my $.02

Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the welcome info' guys, I'd never have known the headlight was so poor on the bird.... viewing the bike from the front it appears so impressive !! with the high speed cruising potential I would have expected better from the 1000F's successor !!!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

it's being offered local to me, might even be a forum user, if i'd the cash right now i'd put an offer down,, just for the sake of owning both lol

its off sale, but will be up again, its been on all the local forums for 6months now,and isn't shifting,, so ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't know if its as is,,, the pics with the sheets is a little fekin clinical, or he/she's a fkn' crap rider lol

seems a fairt price too to me,,, but its hard times,and for a few more notes and free finance most would sit on a new 6oo ninja.

would we all get our money's worth on our "F's" if we were selling afterall.

like have a look at my bike (PICS), 1999 just serviced,17012mls,new hoops and s/s downpipes, whats it worth in GBP?
a lot less than i'd like i'm sure.