CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR1000FR - BLACKBIRD pro's & con's ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR1000FR - BLACKBIRD pro's & con's ??

Hi all, been thinking of giving a Carb' model Blackbird a try... got a linked -brake 1000FR at the mo' and just got it how I want it, but the lure of a Bird is quite magnetic...I do a fair bit of 2 up riding, but I love to cover 300 / 400 miles at a time solo, I seem to remember the 1000F been mentioned as the more comfortable machine....

Just wondered if anyone had gone over to a Bird / returned, and preferred / disliked it and why... I'm 11 stone and 5' 10" tall, so pretty average really....

Cheers fellas.

Black.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

rode a blackbird a few times,my mate has one.

he wants my bike,, and i wouldn't change, but i'd be tempted to have both if i got the right one.

the f is more comfortable, the bird mmmmm a tiny wee bit quicker of the mark, i'm faster on the f than he has ***** to push the bird
i honestly find my f more stable as its more streamlined
i like simple,no gadgetness of the f ,, i go home on a good day when the sun sets,
the bird is dreadful in the dark, i'd swear every fkn' egit can't see it,the lights are crap.. but the f is on ultra-blue bulbs

my f is one of the last made, so i don't know if there is a difference regarding power/engine etc with the older ladies ,,, check my album. its looks to me,are better than any bird, but it might just be the colour or something.

and i pillioned with both, my passenger prefers the f anyday.

just my thoughts.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 blaziken...

not that om going to start to rattle on about this topic of upgrading ...LOL
I can hear your head about to explode, Steve... LOL..

Black Rider, here is a thread that was started some time ago that deals a little with the 1000F vs. Bird discussion. It has some pretty good opinions from people who have owned both (dean0, bordo, etc).
We've covered it in other places, too.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
+1 blaziken...

not that om going to start to rattle on about this topic of upgrading ...LOL
Go on Steve..you know you want to. Although last time it almost turned into b!tch slaps an ten paces See if you can mention oil and tyres (TYRES Dylan) as well..not that I'd incite any sort of trouble

Black Rider. I've not riden a 'Bird but whatever flips your switch mate. Personally I don't think I'd go to one from my cbrf but if I didn't have that, and was looking for a bike, I could just as easily end up with a 'Bird.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Mmmmm. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, and Trout for the interesting link.... I recon' I'll resist the urge to scratch the itch for the time being at least, I have a friend in a neighbouring bike club to my own who has recently got a Bird after two 1000F's, I have sat on his Bird and it feels small to me compared to the 1000F, it is an early '96 carb model in Black and he has offered me the keys when the snow finally goes, however he LOVED both his 1000F's and can't wait to take mine out in exchange, which tells me a lot.... My personal hurdle with the Bird (as mentioned previously) is the initial purchase cost, plus all the time, effort and expense of going through a new machine to bring it up to the spec & reliability, of my own fully sorted 1000F, which at the end of the day does EVERYTHING I want from a motorcycle.....

ps. the girlfriend describes the front-end of the Blackbird as "looking like a scooter" !!!?? ( however she does happen to be one of those heathen Geordie lasses...!)

Ride safe everyone.

Black

Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ps. the girlfriend describes the front-end of the Blackbird as "looking like a scooter" !!!??
haha! That's funny. My 11yr old said my KLR650 looked like a moped... LOL...

But on the bird vs. 1000F debate, I really can't see spending the extra money if it's not something you're really looking for. It kinda seems like a "gray area" as far as whether or not it's an upgrade worthy of the cash (especially without even getting FI)

Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 PM

I'm thinking the same thing, and reading a lot of different opinions... even asked on another forum specific to the birds, and some of the guys there had 1000F's and agree on the comfortable issue... I consider worth the upgrade for an FI model, otherwise, just keep the 1000F

A good friend of mine is willing to buy my bike, so that's the only reason I'm considering a FI bird as my next ride, but only because of that. I know he's going to care for the 1000F just like I do, and I'll get to see her from time to time, too! hehe

Anyway, I think upgrading to the FI model it's worth it, but for carbs, I'd keep the 1000F.

Quick Reply: CBR1000FR - BLACKBIRD pro's & con's ??