CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Cbr 1000f running rough on idle??? Pilot Jets

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013 | 08:06 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by Kenneth Foley
Hi , Tank was flushed no rust , Petcocks was removed and cleaned as well all perfect , did not clean the Pilot screws but did removed the jets , put some carb cleaner in a jar , soaked over night , blew out next morning , put up to a light to check all Holes were clear ,,put the hole think back together , but its rough on Idle , if I up the tick over to above 1100 rpms she ticks over with no struggling ... when I stripped I never touched the Pilot screws , but when I put her back together she was lumpy ... so Jets again ....Air box leak ?
I thought these bikes were supposed to idle at about 1100rpm anyway?

Old 08-26-2013 | 09:46 PM

Mine was idling weird and wouldn't hardly idle at all until it was warmed up, I tried everything that everyone here has suggested so far.

Turned out that my valves were out of adjustment by about .001", it's amazing what such a small difference can make.

I had synced my carbs before that and it did help a little so that may be the issue, but if you go thru all other suggestions with no luck I'd definitely say adjust the valves.

There's a thread under the HOW TO section which makes the process simple, just remember to sync the carbs after adjusting the valves

Old 08-27-2013 | 04:20 PM

Carb balance does not affect idle. The pilot screws affect the idle, balancing the carbs gets the bike running smooth in the higher rev ranges. The slides are down during idle and the motor runs off just the air flow past the pilot screws. First do a carb balance at say 3000rpm then set up the pilots. These are set by using an accurate digital rev counter. From the 2.5 turns out from seated adjust one out by a further 1/2 turn. If the idle speed increases turn the rest out 1/2 turn as well till the idle speed no longer increases. Now turn the idle speed back to 1000rpm at the idle adjuster. Now one at a time turn the screws in till the idle speed drops by 50 rpm, then turn it back out by 3/4 turn and leave it there. Repeat for remaining screws. Don't rush, let the motor have a moment to settle at each adjustment.If the idle is still lumpy check valve clearances, compression and voltage at the coils. Also ensure spark plugs are gapped properly and clean. Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2013 | 02:39 AM
|

Good point although when I put them on they looked fine , but you never know how they are sitting at the bottom as its hard to see .. but I will check this one ..thanks Sebastionbear .

Old 08-28-2013 | 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by David Van Onselen
Carb balance does not affect idle
I dissagree.

Carbs out of balance will affect the idle because all the carbs are not pulling the same amount of air so the idle is uneven and the fuel drawn will be different. ( fuel pulled through the jets is based on the vacuum in the carbs )

Even the book tells you to make sure the carbs are in balance BEFORE you do the pilot screw settings.

Old 08-28-2013 | 02:45 AM
|

I have to say since I joined this site , I have to take my hat of to the help and support from fellow Cbr riders .... It just shows we are countries appart , but all have a common interest our Cbr's ..many thanks

Old 08-28-2013 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dean0
I dissagree.
Even the book tells you to make sure the carbs are in balance BEFORE you do the pilot screw settings.
As did I my friend

Old 08-29-2013 | 06:39 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Pilot Needles , Carb Sync and to a much lessor extent crank balancer all contribute
to a nice smooth & consistent idle - imo, other factors to be included plugs & air filter.

Old 08-29-2013 | 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by David Van Onselen
As did I my friend
So - with carbs out of synch - you are going to be able to see a 50rpm drop from an unstable tickover.

Have fun setting the pilot screws

Old 08-29-2013 | 08:57 PM

The balance is Very important, but if the pilot circuit is not flowing properly, nothing else matters.
The pilot jet can clog in a second, sync, usually happens over time, just my,$.02
I have dealt with a clogged pilot jet/s at least 6 times in 3 years, one time bike ran fine one night, next morning, was clogged and ran like crap, but just as mentioned once past idle circuit, runs great. but soon as you back off to very little throttle opening rough again.

Quick Reply: Cbr 1000f running rough on idle??? Pilot Jets