CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR 1000F is Down

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 1000F is Down

You know, I never quite thought of this happening to me this way but it did. I always thought of "crashing" as something i did wrong, or overcooking a turn or something. But what actually caused this to happen to me is quite different than anything I thought about. This happened to me on September 29,2005.

A buddy of mine that sits next to me asked if I wanted to go to lunch. U know, a ride to lunch.. He has a 2001 R6 so I figured heck it would be fun. We cruised on to Wendys ate some lunch, and talked all about bikes, you know how it is. I had NO intention of doing any kind of hard riding, cuz its lunch time AND I don't have my gear since I live a block from work. So on the way back we decided to take some back roads back, one being one of my favorite winding roads. You know, when u have a road you travel quite often I think its automatic that you speed. I was NOT intending to do this, but it happened. There are 3 nice high speed sweepers (NOTE: 45 mph zone) and my average speed down this road is usually 90-95, but thats completely unintentional. I just love to bank her down the road ya know?? So when I turned on to this street I think my mind went into "Automatic Cruise" mode and I started flying.. I wasn't thinking about my buddy back there thinking I was trying to race or anything, I was just doing my normal thing down that road and that's when I blacked out and woke up in the hospital!!!!

Luckily my buddy remebered everything.. I went flying through the first couple of sweepers, and he tried to pass me in the middle lane (Approx speed 85-95mph) there was a car in the middle lane going very slow (Probably the speed limit of 45) and he had to hit the brakes hard which resulted in the bike going straight and right into me. It caused me to lowside (Thank god) and my bike hit the curb and did several flips.. I landed on my right thigh, and hit the curb with my back which broke 9 ribs, and collapsed my lung. My buddly landed face first on the pavement, and did multiple flips and rolls. NOTE: He broke his spine in two spots (He has titanium strips on his spine now) , broken ribs, scratches from hell and was very blessed to not be paralyzed.

Now I'm faced with a buddy who will be out of work for a year, and no bike. I won't be able to ride for at least another month, the wreck took all my strength out of my hands, back, arms. Not to mention, my coordination is scary, and my memory is bad. I think all these things will return in time. The bike took the damage well, all plastics are completely gone, but the frame and motor is in good condition, even the forks aren't even bent. But finding plastics, headlight assembly, instrument cluster, lights etc isn't an easy task. So I figure I'll buy another 94 like mine. They are around so if anyone hears of where there is one let me know.

I never thought of another bike running into me causing me to crash.. That was new to me, I think of it as a mistake on my buddies part, but a mistake on mine for not paying attention to the posted speed limit while riding with someone I had never ridden with before. This could have all been avoided, but my Austomatic mode got the best of me. I miss my bike horribly and it has only been two weeks. I don't know if I will be able to afford another bike now, but I'm sure I'll find a way. And in the back of my mind there is that thought maybe i shouldn't buy another one, cuz maybe next time I won't recover or be alive. But I love riding so much. Anything ya'll can say will be appreciated.

Please be safe out there, its no fun to hurt everywhere all the time doing the normal things like picking your nose. God bless everyone and take care. I have pictures of my bike, i will post them later. The pain is hurting me from typing now, I must rest.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Default RE: CBR 1000F is Down

Man that really sucks[] I hope that you recover 100% and your buddy as well. I've never been down and it scares the S$(# out of me knowing that some day it will happen. I ride with some experienced riders that have been down do to rider error, but they had full gear on and had no injuries. I've been told several times that, there are those that haven't been down and those that will go down. Getting hit from another rider is something I generally don't think of unless riding in a pack or a new rider.

Here is some riding rules my buddy and I follow pretty strictly for saftey concern of ourselves and the rest of the riders in the pack.

As for ride etiquette, most hand signals are too hard to see on the bike. So, we only use basic hand signals. Mostly for stops, road hazards, (Where we also use our feet to point), making a u-turn, and making a hard turn or pointing to a just missed turn.

We use two hand signals for needing a food/bathroom break and for a gas stop. I'll show you these at the start of the ride.

Most of the etiquette revolves around where you are in the pack. We always ride staggered as this gives you more room to stop and makes sure the rider in front can see you. One of the rules I use all the time is, if I can't see the face of the rider in front of me in his own mirror, I'm in the wrong place as he can't see me.

The lead rider is always out near the yellow line. This allows cars that may be pulling out from a driveway to see you better.

By all means, take as much of the road as you think you need to avoid a hazard or negotiate a turn. Then, slot back into the staggered configuration when you have passed the hazard or the road has straightened.

If we do any fast accelerations, I always tap my rear break several times before I roll off the throttle or begin to apply the brake so the guy behind me knows that I might be slowing. (And does not run into the back of my bike)

We NEVER leave anyone for dead. You are responsible for the rider behind you. If they drop off, you should get up the rider in front of you and make sure the they know there is an issue and then drop back to see where the rider behind went. The rider in front of you will pass on the message.

In general, we collect at turns. Especially if it's been a long section at higher speeds. This makes sure that no one misses a turn and allows everyone to regroup.

For the ride on the 1st, there will be some quick sections, but in general it will not be a overly spirited ride. If we hit any highway, I might run the new bike up to speed for a few seconds, but never for any sustained period.

Passing - In the past, we have all agreed that we would not overtake each other or other cars on the double yellow. After riding out west with my old friends, and after having been stuck behind many-a-car in a great winding section of the road, I'm going to suggest we alter that rule.

Pass if it's safe and the view is clear. Make your pass quickly! NEVER EVER EVER follow the wheel of the guy in front. If he should brake suddenly or misjudge the pass, then you are the more likely one to get hurt.

For passing other riders, move out to the left side of the lane and put the left directional on. Wait until the rider ahead has acknowledged you before making the pass. If he does not see you, flash your high beams a few times. If he does not acknowledge you, he may know something about the road ahead and you should not overtake him. you can ask him at the next stop if he saw you. If he says no, then remind him to glance in the rear view once in a while.

Basically, don't pass unless you get permission.

FYI - New riders to the group will not be riding in the back. You will be riding at 3rd position and back. You will follow the lead of the front two riders and experienced riders will ride behind you and make suggestions at a stop.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 PM

Bummer Firefox, but you do have all winter to heal up. Get well and look around for a new bike or make a streetfighter out of it.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM

Jeezus Krist, man, I am really sorry to hear about all of that. It sounds like the two of you had something good on your side to have survived that one. The bikes can be replaced, but your health is another issue completely. The daytime television that you are going to be watching will take it's toll on you too. [8D]

I wish you and your buddy a speedy recovery and a screamin' deal on another CBR in the near future.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:50 PM

Daytime Television,
My sympathies go to you.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:35 PM

Firefox -
Sorry to hear about your accident. The bike can be replaced but at least you have your life and will recover in time. I hope your buddy is okay too.

I Always wear protective gear cause you never know when it will happen.

Geoffv -
That is an excellent post for rules to follow when riding with a group. You should submit it to be posted as a sticky at the top of the forum somewhere.

Stay safe,
paul

Old 10-21-2005, 10:47 AM

When we ride as a group my buddy that reviews the rules is know as the "bike ****", but we have a no tolerance for messing around when riding in a pack because lives are at risk. We started this rules and have added to them based on things that have happened in pack riding. Riders do really follow the rules and it has made my riding in a pack a lot more relaxed and saver. I no longer have guys on Busa's blowing by me without my permission, or guys riding my a#$@ in the twisities. We did a one day 540 mile 7 state ride 3 weeks ago with 12 riders and the pack rules worked really well. The bigger the group and when riding with riders you've never ridden with the more important safety is.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 PM

You should write a riders creed manual; Call it "Rules, guidelines and best practices of motorcycles riding"

Old 10-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear you both survived. My condolences on your injuries, and thanks for posting. Stories like yours remind the rest of us that accidents are just that - totally unexpected events generally caused by someone's lack of attention. That isn't a slam at you or your buddy, by the way. 98% of those who ride would admit to having done the same kind of thing you did, the other 2% would lie. I'm among the 98%, but have been much more fortunate than you and your buddy. Hope you both recover rapidly and completely.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Hey Fire, Glad to see you and your buddy made it through that one.. Nasty Nasty..

I've actually been riding before and saw the exact same thing happen right in front of me. Gotta be careful...

-Del

Quick Reply: CBR 1000F is Down