CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Carb issues and balancing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Carb issues and balancing help

On the way home on friday night my bike felt like if it was surging at highway speed. Has been dong this ever so slightly lately but thought it was me being paranoid. If I slowed down, all good. When I stopped, everything was fine. It was only after a while on the highway it starting surging, well losing power slightly.

I spent yesterday stripping the carbs out to see what I could find. Everything was ok in the bowls, everything worked OK. I gave each carb a good clean out with no real cause found. It wasn't until I removed the fuel stop seats and found the micro filters. these were filthy to say the least. No.4 was the worst and completely black with crud. I have now binned these filters and will be fitting two inline filters next week.

The other things I found, the idle screw mechanism was buggered, loose screws, one mixture screw was missing it's rubber o ring & washer, choke mount bent and the throttle return cable was ceased into the aluminium casting it sat in at the lead end.

Put the bike back together, hit the button and all good, well mostly, but I think it's due to carb balance now. Revs cleanly, starts well, good power, idles lumpy and when given a qick revs it takes a bit before coming back to idle. The only issue I need to attent to now is carb balance again. I made up a wee gap tool and measured the gap between the butterfly and the carb body and matched each carb to crudely set things up.

I'm looking at buying a gauge but haven't got a clue what range (i.e. 0-30 in Hg) I should be looking at? I know I need some sort of dampered one (oil or spring suppressed typed) as the one i borrow is non dampered and jumps around like a flea in a fit making set up hard. I've looked at the bike kits but they are worth too much to be justified, hence why I'm looking at a single gauge as this works but just more fiddling around. Any help would be great. Cheers

Something like this...
Vacuum Gauge / Fuel Pump Pressure Tester Tool Kit | Trade Me

Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my experience is worth anything, get a four tube guage. Every change you make affects the other three carbs. That means with a single guage each time you make an adjustment it is necessary to move the single guage unit from carb to carb. A four-tube guage makes the process quick and easy.

Carb balancing is needed often enough to justify the cost.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

These are good kits, but there are cheaper ones out there. These are very accurate though.

Vacuum Carburetor Synchronizer carb sync Gauge CB GS XS KZ 550 650 750 850 950 | eBay

Or better alloy case same as above, same price, same company shipped to NZ.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vacuu...item5ae29ce668

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-24-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a morgan carbtune pro. Good little kit, but I wish it came with better ports. The plastic ones that come with it suck. (no pun intended)
They should send a set of brass ones if you buy the kit. Cheap bastards.
It's like $100 US shipped.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went for the Motion Pro myself .

Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM

Surging is usually a lean condition. First thing I would do is check to make sure none of the caps fell off the vacuum ports used for balancing.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Yep, the Morgan tune is the one to get.
Sounds like someone had had your carbs off in the night for a game of football Ruaphu. How the hell did so many things get screwed up? Nice account of the smaller points to look at during an inspection. Cheers.
Good luck with the synch. After all that cleaning she'll sound like a new motor when you've got the balance right.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:55 AM

I use the Motion Pro as well. I find I have to re-sync my carbs about every 2000 miles. They go out of adjustment just slightly, but I can tell.

I paid $55.00 shipped from ebay

Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the info, I had forgotten about flea bay altogether. The cheapest in NZ is still more than what I can find on flea bay after shipping etc. I will look at getting the Motion pro.

@ HenryM, not being a huge rugger fan, but do watch the AB's, especially this game with the French and the previous outcome, I made sure I didn't miss that game! but missed the Warriors game thou, forgot all about it, bugger.

I managed to sort the carbs out with a single type gauge and a bleed valve set up borrowed off a mate. Works like a treat but takes (much) longer fiddling around jumping back and forth until everything matches.

Bike sounds alot quieter now with the balance sorted. Went for a ride and the bike is a heck of alot better in all aspects. I had run carb clean through the bike some months back and noticed a good improvement then. But to be honest nothing beats a good strip and clean to sort out exactly what is what. Especially getting rid of those silly little in carb filters.

Bliggan freezing this morning and the bike started easily and ran beautifully. Alot better around town, not as jumpy or prone to stalling.

Cheers all and many thanks for the tips etc, Andy

Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Thumbs down

Bliggan bike running back on three today! Runs fine if tootling along over 70kmh but under that drops down to 3 cyls.

On pulling the plugs No.2 is not firing, electrics are all sound, no fuel getting to chamber. So there must be something blocking the idle jet **** it. Gotta pull the carbs out again to see what the **** is causing the issue.

The other odd thing there was a heavy smell of fuel coming from the fairings so something is definately amiss. The ole girl was running like a clock until today. Once again it happened on the way home from work!! wtf.

Quick Reply: Carb issues and balancing help