CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brake bleeding issues, Linked brake model.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haskell76
I have been told after bleeding the brakes to take it out for spin and see how the brakes are and then bleed them again.
If you think they are good, then leave them. The saying says " if its not broke don't fix it'.
Funnily enough I've been thinking along those lines with a comment Kilgoretrout made about shaking everything about and re-bleeding, as I have a reasonable lever & pedal I've been considering going out for a short ride over plenty potholes and council neglected roads, and re-bleeding the system upon my return...........

Black

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Rider
Funnily enough I've been thinking along those lines with a comment Kilgoretrout made about shaking everything about and re-bleeding, as I have a reasonable lever & pedal I've been considering going out for a short ride over plenty potholes and council neglected roads, and re-bleeding the system upon my return...........

Black
If the brakes are working good enough to ride it then Id certainly try it . It would certainly help redistribute any air and it may percolate up to the master cylinder so then you could just top up rather than bleed it

Take it easy though , you don't want to have to do anything like an emergency stop

Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AT LAST.

I have finally overcome my brake bleeding problems, and have successfully bled the whole system and achieved a perfect pedal & lever, without a hint of spongyness.

I used the Bike to commute to work Thursday, (around a 12 mile round trip) over plenty of potholes and poor quality roads, to see if this would result in the dislodgement of any trapped air bubbles within the system, then yesterday repeated the whole bleeding sequence from start to finish, I took the advice of a number of forum members, and wrapped a small quantity of PTFE thread tape round each of the 6 bleed nipples, to insure against air entering the system during the bleeding process, I then employed a small inline brake bleeding valve to assist in the operation, and was able to finally purge the DCBS of any remaining air.

I consider that a combination of all of the above elements is what proved to finally result in a success, but I am tipping that it may have been the use of the PTFE thread tape round the nipples that was of greater significance........

my sincerest thanks to you all.

Black

Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad it all worked out, man. (no pun intended..)