CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brains trust needed! check out 3v1lj03's noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the engine out and get another one by the sounds of that diagnosis. Probably be a cheaper option and a lot less heartache. Sorry thats happened to you man. What a bummer......

Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
And now for the bad news....You have spun connecting rod bearings. There is enough oil between the rods and crank so that it will not be so loud when cranking over. When it is running the rod is trashing the crank journal. The noise travels up the cylinder bore and that's why it is heard in the top and bottom. The oil pump may be working fine but if the oil level dropped to where the pickup was not supplying oil to the pump the rods would trash the rod bearing. To fix the bike the engine needs to come out and pulled apart. You will need to inspect the rods to see if they need to be replaced. The crank will most-likely need replacing. You will need rod bearings upon reassembly and oil pressure checked before running.

When you drain the oil you will see metal from the rod bearings in the bottom of your drain pan.

SORRY FOR THE BAD NEWS.
Thanks for the looks guys!
OK, First let me tell you guys I pulled the valve cover and checked the valve train it is fine. I then ran the engine with the vlave cover off to check oil flow. WOW that was a lot of oil flow. (Pick up tube is fine) I then drained the oil and measured it I got a little over 4 quarts out of the drain and about 1/2 quart on the ground from running the engine without the valve cover on. I poured new oil down the head and into the camchain tensioner and let that drain out as well. I checked for metal in the oil and found none. I reinstalled the valve cover and put all the new oil in cranked it with kill switch off for awhile then started it and it sounds much quieter other than it is running like crap now (some sort of fuel delivery problem it seems)

As for the rod bearings I have thrown a few of those in my days and This does not really sound like that to me. However it might be, but I did not find any evidince in the oil. To me rebuilding an engine is one of the easiest things to do it's not like trying to track down a fuel or elecrtical problem. I had this engine completly apart this winter and the bearings were like new.

What I think now after the above things is that it is the intake side valve train on the right side maybe the camchain tensioner and chain too. The noise seems to be concentrated in the rear/right side of the head and is kind of rattly. I am going to pull the head and cams and look for damage. Let you know what I find.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The only thing I have to go by is the video. I sure sounds like rod knock to me. I really hope for your sake that it isn't. I hope it's something more simple. I will pray to the beer gods for you.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3v1lj03
I am going to pull the head and cams and look for damage. Let you know what I find.

Push down on a piston and turn the crank back and forth with a shifter. Any vertical play will mean big or little ends damaged. You'd know that anyway but it's worth mentioning just in case. Since you're handy it might be worth taking the barrels off and checking the big ends to rule that out (hopefully). I did big ends, and everything else, on a Z650 once (ran out of oil during a massive day) and it was more of a low rumble sort of noise that came on gradually. I also pulled apart a 750-4 once to fit new valves and when i did the 'push on the piston and move the crank' test I found that the little ends were stuffed. The barrels came off and I found the big ends were pretty sloppy too. My point is that there was nowhere near the racket from your motor so I'm still hopeful that it's something that isn't terminal. Good the oil flow is good because that should mean everything major is ok.

These are good strong motors that will do an amazing amount of kms before starting to burn oil and needing a rebuild. I just can't see it being dead so suddenly mate. fingers crossed here.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah ....... this here punter still thinks the chain (untensioned) driving the oil pump is
"elonagated" (a technical term meaning stretched ) kinda like chainelongator !

S'what my money is on it's pumping alright but making a racket slapping around
doing it.

Can't wait to see how this mystery unfolds ? !

Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Ah ....... this here punter still thinks the chain (untensioned) driving the oil pump is
"elonagated" (a technical term meaning stretched ) kinda like chainelongator !

S'what my money is on it's pumping alright but making a racket slapping around
doing it.

Can't wait to see how this mystery unfolds ? !
You may be right. It is hard to hear from the video if it is knocking or just one hell of a rattle. A cam chain whipping against the head would make quite a racket. The lack of metal in the oil is a very good sign. I does not totally rule out the rod bearings but it is good news. I have had the wrist pin clips pop out and make a noise similar to what I can hear in the video. I agree that the upper end needs to come apart before looking to the lower end.

This whole thing just sucks....

Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and it was more of a low rumble sort of noise that came on gradually
Yep, that's the only reason I didn't say crank bearings. They have more of a "thud" and usually come on slower than just "out of nowhere".

I have had the wrist pin clips pop out and make a noise similar to what I can hear in the video.
This was another thought I had. Like piston slap. It has the same noise. Higher pitched than the crank side and had a ping to it.

It's a good sign that you aren't finding metal shavings.
I'm thinking that a stethoscope may come in handy here? Still really strange that the noise just came out of nowhere.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM

I tend not to think of the cam chain because I don't think it is long enough to whip against the head. If it were that stretched, I think it would break due to the whipping. I could be that the can chain shoe lost it's plastic slider and the chain is whipping against it. There is not a whole hell of of a lot of things in there that would make that noise. Maybe pulling the sump pan would help fine this out. If the slider did fall, it would end up in the sump and there would not be any metal in the oil. There are two sliders, the stationary one in front and the one on the tensioner. These can be checked with the cover off also.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 PM

I pulled the head on Sat and Sun this past weekend the cam cahin is good not too much slack the cam chain guides are also in good shape. I did the pistion push and crank test recomended above there was no slop. The good news is thing look normal and peachy. The bad news things look normal and peachy. I have but one question so far How can I make sure that the cam chain tensioner is good? How do I prime it and test it. I want to test it before I reinstall it. Thanks for the look guys

Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Default Some pictures

Here are a few pictures for you guys to look at I don't see anything out of the ordinary

Attached Thumbnails Brains trust needed!  check out 3v1lj03's noise.-dsc01347.jpg   Brains trust needed!  check out 3v1lj03's noise.-dsc01349.jpg   Brains trust needed!  check out 3v1lj03's noise.-dsc01354.jpg   Brains trust needed!  check out 3v1lj03's noise.-dsc01358.jpg   Brains trust needed!  check out 3v1lj03's noise.-dsc01361.jpg  

Quick Reply: Brains trust needed! check out 3v1lj03's noise.