CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

bhp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: bhp

If you want both, you have to go for really BIG displacement, which we don't have in our machines, Gunny...... or gear it to the point where it becomes like a dirtbike, lots of low end grunt, but no top end.
Are you running that 14/46 ratio set yet Gunny ? hooooooo, that'll haul *** ( but we'll have to wait for you at every fuel station)

Mark R, inline 4's are much smoother than v 2's or Boxer type motors (UGH- should have left them in Beetles)

Old 05-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I understand the question shadow, but I'm just saying. I will always prefer if given a choice between two motors pulling almost identical horsepower and one of them having a better torque curve. It will be my choice. And yes I did play with the 14 46 set up. No need to clutch anything down, if you want the front end up with that setup and tank slap is a Mother ****er but from zero to 105 mph there is not much going to pass you

Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Interestingly however jet boats like all other vehicles can have either power or torque. You can spin a smaller pump faster with a high horsepower/less torque engine to produce a large volume of output. However a high torque/lower horsepower motor will spin a higher volume pump producing greater output. Sounds like they would both do the same job but the high torque in the environment of jet sprints actually wins out. i.e faster acceleration over a short distance.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:17 PM

As I mentioned earlier. With more horsepower you can allways by using gears get greater torque at the WHEELS than with less horsepower. No matter what torque the engine has. Why the Nissan Diesel feels stronger is that you dont want to drive the small displacement engine at max power rpm and constantly change gears to keep it in that range. But if you did (and it had enough gears with the right settings!) it would be faster.
With more torque (which really means a broader powerband since the max torque allways is limited by displacement) you can pull longer on each gear and dont have to get your left foot worn out by shifting all the time.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 PM

I stand by what I said. Torque only goes so far. Any of the current crop of racer rep 600's have torque numbers in the 40's (ft. lbs) but will still blow the doors off any big inch twin, producing twice the torque or more, in the quarter mile. What Harley rider hasn't learned that lesson the hard way. In the end, horsepower always wins. In any event, I don't really understand why anyone who thinks torque is king would ride any Japanese four. The one thing these bikes are NOT known as is torque monsters

Old 05-08-2008, 11:31 PM

Good. I founf this is in the wiki links.
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...and_torque.htm
It explains my statement but in real english (since I am from sweden my english might bee not so good).
Look at the curves over same torque (=about the same displacement) and related power curves.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you, Gunny, the trick is getting the torque to come in where you need it.
Just changing an exhaust can will often alter the torque and HP characteristics of an engine - we all know that -and big pistons will always out-pull little pistons, or sled-towing tractors would have 50 cylinder small volume pistons with short strokes.........
LET'S GO SHOVE V8 454'S IN OUR BIKES AND WE CAN HAVE BOTH........ar ar
This'll do me........

Gunny, that report on the ratios doesn't surprise me - I did a 15/42, and that had me hitting the rev limiter 'way too quickly.......[X(]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22903/075014719FC64F47A3490696B9CBA884.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph

I stand by what I said. Torque only goes so far. Any of the current crop of racer rep 600's have torque numbers in the 40's (ft. lbs) but will still blow the doors off any big inch twin, producing twice the torque or more, in the quarter mile. What Harley rider hasn't learned that lesson the hard way. In the end, horsepower always wins. In any event, I don't really understand why anyone who thinks torque is king would ride any Japanese four. The one thing these bikes are NOT known as is torque monsters
probably the one that won the NRHA superbikein Atlanta about two weeks ago check that fact

And I'm almost 100% positive, no one asked you to figure out why I ride what I ride now you are entitled to your opinion. Just as everyone else is be happy with that fact

Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 PM

[/quote]
probably the one that won the NRHA superbikein Atlanta about two weeks ago checked that fact
[/quote]

Huh? What does checked that fact mean? Stop moving the goal posts. You first said you'll take torque over hp anyday. Then you said you'll take the torqueier bike when two bikes have about the same horsepower. That's totally different and obviously true. But so is the reverse, I'll take horsepower when two bikes have similar torque curves. I'm saying some bikes are built for toque, big twins for example. and some for horsepower, like inline fours. The fours achieve that horsepower by spinning their engines a lot faster than the torquier twins can.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

probably the one that won the NRHA superbikein Atlanta about two weeks ago check that fact

And I'm almost 100% positive, no one asked you to figure out why I ride what I ride now you are entitled to your opinion. Just as everyone else is be happy with that fact
No one is moving the goal posts. You are the one discussing V twins and in-line 4. I'm discussing overall principlestunnelvision is a mother ****er