CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

A Battery Question

Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Battery Question

As you all know, I have my gal all back together and looking as good as new.

Between the camchain / reg rec repair / and the body saga, she ended sitting for nearly 3 months. During that time I kept the battery regularly charged, but never started her and ran her after I took the tank off (about a month).

Can a battery go bad by just staying on a charger and not being run?

Ole Steve asked the other day if she was running and she ran good. She was pissing and moaning a bit and idling low. But I figured that was due to being stagnant for 2+ months. I wanted to bump up the idle a bit so I turned the throttle stop screw on the lower left (just behind the #1 carb) I've done this in the past with no problem. After idling for about 7 minutes I shut her down. All was good. The battery was fresh off the charger.

About an hour later I tried to start her and she cranked real slow. I put her back on the charger, charged it up and put her back in the bike. She cranked ok (not super fast, but adequate) and she'd "pop" but not fire. I figured the battery was bad so I hooked her up to my truck. She cranked MUCH better and started. But again idled low and woulndn't idle well untill I had about 3/4 choke on. She sang like a bird (ran GREAT) in choke as soon as I'd turn the choke down, she'd idle crappy and eventually die. She would start on the battery, then the battery would go way low again.

SO... my questions...

1. Can a battery go bad by just staying on a charger and not being run? Should I do a battery 1st. Keep in mind this battery is dam near brand spanking new.

2. Did I screw something by playing with throttle stop screw (like fuel mix). If I did how far in which direction should I put it back to. I don't remember which way I turned it prior and now turning it doesn't do squat. (ya i'm an idoit)

3. On my reg /rec repair the 1 thing I didn't do was the stator. It tested OK supposedly, I wonder if it is shot and falsely tested. Once it starts the stator/generator takes over correct? Does not run off the battery? I'm prepared to buy one but can't find one in my old reliable spots, I wanted to go to Honda as a last resort. (If they even stock it anymore)

Im thinking I get the dumbass award on this one for playing with the throttle stop screw, but it worked at the time and I've done it before. I'm almost leaning to a battery for the most part, because of it needing to be re-charged so fast; or is the stator not charging back. I don't know... when the RPM's were up (in choke) it ran great.. so maybe that's mixture issue.?

Last edited by michealparks; 01-24-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I'd say the battery, too.
If you have a bad battery, it won't idle right. And when it's idling, it's not charging the battery. You don't get good power until the higher RPMs (which would also make sense in your situation).
Even with the battery being newer, it could just be a bad cell or something. I've seen that before in almost new batteries, but the fact that you had electrical problems, it probably fried that sucker....
As far as the idle screw... on mine right is higher/left lower.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Mike, I'd say the battery, too.
If you have a bad battery, it won't idle right. And when it's idling, it's not charging the battery. You don't get good power until the higher RPMs (which would also make sense in your situation).
That's what I was thinking, which also makes sense why it runs better at like 2500-3000 on choke. I'm gonna get a battery tomorrow. After I did the reg/rec I put this new battery in. But again it sat in more or less a "charge" mode for 3 months and the water was a bit down. I filled it up with no change. I'll put the new battery on when I get home and take her for a spin.

As for the throttle stop screw (the "star" like **** on the left behind the #1 carb), anyone have thoughts on where it should be? In the past I've fiddled with it to increase idle RPM's and it worked fine. Wondering if I fiddled too much with it.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think your fiddling with it would cause a problem, after all, it only changes the idle point. If you are having trouble finding your battery check these guys out. I replaced my battery this last summer from them with a better price. Had it in 2 days regular ground shipping. Check them out.
http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...X14AHL-BS.html

Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 PM

It was the battery like we figured. She is running like a champ now.

So I guess that answers the question "Can a battery go bad by just staying on a charger and not being run?" Really odd though. I figured a "maintainer" would keep it safe. But for those curious if you maintain a battery for almost 3 months without actually using it, the battery can take a chit!

It kinda boggles the mind how something as a BARELY low battery can make the bike chit the bed. This battery never even made it to the road! It only ran her after the repairs. Did Honda ever fix this or do the young gals have these problems too?

Got my plates all good to go again and she's re-insured! Az1k we gotta meet for a ride someday!!!

Last edited by michealparks; 01-25-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you got a chit battery to me, man. That or something with your charger? I dunno, but I've let plenty of batteries sit on maintainers without issue. I'd take it back and get a refund, even if pro-rated.

Regardless, glad it's all sorted out now. Good to hear, man.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm game for a ride someday. I must warn you though, I don't wear all the leathery gear.

Originally Posted by michealparks
Az1k we gotta meet for a ride someday!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Az1kF
I'm game for a ride someday. I must warn you though, I don't wear all the leathery gear.
Long as you are covering your melon, I'm game

Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 AM

I always cover my melon.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM

If you used a regular charger you probably hydrlyzed a lot of the water in your battery. For extended down time you should use a "Battery Tender" or something similar. You may have over-charged your new battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Battery Question