CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Arghhh!! My baby will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Arghhh!! My baby will not start

I had a loose connection on the underside of my fuse box that produced the syptoms you are having - try flicking your kill switch and then firing her up - does the starter now turn over? (But of course wont start becuse the kill switch is enabled)

Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Normal 0 Luis, it sounds to me that your starter solenoid may be faulty. I just pulled my daughters CB250 starter solenoid apart and cleaned it. Now it works fine. If you are hearing a clicking and the starter is not engaging it is most likely the starter solenoid. Pull the right cover and chase the positive cable from the + side of the battery. It is connected directly to the solenoid. Sometimes you can hit the solenoid with the backside of a screwdriver while holding the start button and you will get the plate inside to make contact and it will start. You can have a full battery but if you have dirty contacts inside of the solenoid, it will not start.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first thought, like TimBuc2, was starter or solenoid issues. If jumping with your car battery doesn't work, you might want to try bump starting your bike. If that works, you probably have starter issues. As to Harry_T's suggestion, I haven't used my kill switch for the last two or three years- after having problems starting my bike after using the kill switch. But if you hear a click when you hit the starter button, it's probably not the kill switch.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi guys,

Good news, I jump started the bike yesterday and it worked, so everything now points to be either the solenoid or rectifier, I will take the cane this saturday with a mechanic to see if we can check on this, at least I can make it run now, however I still hear an intermitent sound coming from what is seems to be the "fuel pump??, it's a cylinder that has two hoses, one of this hoses goes into the main gasoline line the other one goes to the carbs area, this cylnder seats like 3 centimeters from the battery box on the left side of the bike, yesterday when I fired the cane up, I kept hearing that sound, but after I paid closer attention I found that it's coming from that cylinder, it sounds like a very light rattling noise that last for a few seconds and repeats every like 10 - 15 seconds, no clue what that may be..any thoughts?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM

If your starter functioned normally during the jump start, then your starter/solenoid is not the problem. I would wager your reg/rec is the culprit. Your symptoms are exactly what I experienced and it was the reg/rec that was bad on mine. Of course your problem could be something else, but knowing the history of the sketchy reg/rec units Honda installed I'm betting you'll find it is the fault with your bike too. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably is the reg/rec.
Like others have said, you can easily check the voltage while it's running. Just go buy a multimeter if you don't have one, and learn how to use it. It will undoubtedly come in handy on another day anyway...
As far as the "clicking" noise, it isn't fuel related.
May still be cam chain noise or something similar. Hard to tell..