CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ewe sickos!

Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The RR is probably the best Racer-want-to-be bike out there. If you are keeping the 1kF than it sounds like a deal. The wife will hate riding on it.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the 08's had issues from the factory - for some reason they were shipped out with inferior rings and were recalled by the factory to dealerships to have the rings replaced !!!!!!!!!!! It happened to a buddy of mine, bike started to use oil and smoke a little - had minimal mileage.
Check out the Honda website and try to establish which batches had the problem.
If you can't find it, I'll try my local stealership and see if they'll help.
I don't know about you but I wouldn't want a bike that has to be ripped apart after 5000 miles...........

Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Some of the 08's had issues from the factory - for some reason they were shipped out with inferior rings and were recalled by the factory to dealerships to have the rings replaced !!!!!!!!!!! It happened to a buddy of mine, bike started to use oil and smoke a little - had minimal mileage.
Check out the Honda website and try to establish which batches had the problem.
If you can't find it, I'll try my local stealership and see if they'll help.
I don't know about you but I wouldn't want a bike that has to be ripped apart after 5000 miles...........
I hear you Shadow as well as Tim. I plan on keeping 1000F and 919 but may sell the '07 RWB VFR. I remember when I bought a new TL1000R. I spent a Sunday morning putting slip-ons on it, washed and polished it and was sitting beside it admiring it when my wife drove up. "Start it up!" Blam, Blam, rev it a few blips and shut it off. "God, that sounds awesome. Let's ride." Ten miles later she is begging that I go back home. Yeah, she won't get on the RR but she has options.
The burning oil issues concern me. I have read about it on the this and other forums. I am really concerned but some have had this issue while others have not. Man, what to do...
I took the 1000F into the dealer today to change the brake fluid and coolant. I looked at the selection again. What color? Yellow/Black, Wine/Silver, Red, Silver/Black...darn! I see a few restless nights ahead.
Later,

Old 12-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda figured you'd hang on to the 1000F considering it's the sweetest looking 1KF ever built.

I hear you on the oil burning thing. That would bug me, too. Actually, a few of the new style KLRs had the same problem because Kawasaki decided to mess with the format on the rings (idiots). I worried about it when I bought mine, but it doesn't use a drop. Apparently it was just the late '08s that were affected, and very few '09s (if any). So mine was fine. It bugged the chit out of me, though.

As far as the color... I would probably go with the Silver/Black. I just think it's so clean looking. I've always liked the way silver/black looks.
I REALLY like the wine color, but I think it looks kinda odd in a tri-tone. If the wine color came solid like the red one, I'd be stuck between that and silver/black. (I think they have the all wine one overseas, actually)
All red would probably be my second choice, followed by yellow.
Got it? LOL... (Sorry, kinda rambled there...)

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 12-15-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leanit. You poor guy, having to wrestle with such a dilema . I'd go red first because everybody knows red ones go faster, next choice silver/ black.

Once again mate, remember we're all with you in this difficult time during your decision making turmoil. :icon_greenwithenvy: (we really need one of those)..not really mate, good on you

Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 PM

re: the rings...break it in properly ( http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm ) and most likely you'll be fine. If not, it's a warranty fix, and a great excuse to send the head off for a valve job while it's apart .

I've ridden an 08 on the track, and it's a jewel. I know you're already in the know re: practicality etc. having owned other sportbikes, so it is what it is. Super awesome bike, great motor, supersweet handling right out of the box (with minimla geometry changes anyway).

Do it!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Yes. Green. Envy.

Looking back, it feels like just about every bike I ever bought had an "issue" that came up after I bought it, so it worried me, but never panned out at all. If it's going to be a warranty fix/recall issue. Go for it. Last time they told me I had an issue and needed a tear down, I got high compression pistons and an electronic ignition and it transformed my cruiser into a beast of a power cruiser. So look at the bright side.