CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Absolutely Sick to my Stomach!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Absolutely Sick to my Stomach!

Finally got my bike back together, running, and sounding good, all up til I synced the carbs. The #4 carb was way out of adjustment so as im bringing it in to match the other carbs, I hear this loud SCREECH, it sounded like when ur brakes are worn and the little tweeter rubs, yea... like metal to metal w no lube.. I just put brand new oil in it. warmed it up, and no over doing it revving. Now the sound wont go away. its loud and horrifying... I just put about $400USD in parts in the damned thing. and hours reassembling, troubleshooting & fine tuning.

Im truly ready to yak, im SOOOO upset. I dont even know where to go from here..

EDIT: come to think of it when I had the headers off,, the #4 Exhaust actually had a "wet" look to it.while all the others are dry. it also was dripping a good amount of water out of the exhaust, this cant be normal can it? When I bought the bike the guy was very eager to sell, maybe he put a "band-aid" fix til I bought it and had it home. @#^(@*(()&*@#()()*@ I cant even think about it right now.

Last edited by ebinz88cane; 02-23-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's f#cking awful mate! I don't know what to suggest having not heard the sound, but do you have any idea where in the engine the noise is coming from? How much time did it run for before the noise started.

I know it sucks ****, but it's a machine and can be fixed.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by davethepom
That's f#cking awful mate! I don't know what to suggest having not heard the sound, but do you have any idea where in the engine the noise is coming from? How much time did it run for before the noise started.

I know it sucks ****, but it's a machine and can be fixed.
Not exactly sure where its coming from, it sounds like from the #4 cylinder (area), I have a stethoscope, maybe tomorrow I will get it out and see if I can pin point it a little more accurately, I will also make a video if I can bare to actually try to start it again and hear the wretched sound again. I was just so upset I closed up shop and came and sat down before I flipped my lid.

I Had the engine warm for a good 10mins, then killed it, re-fired and ran it another good 10mins as I was doing the carb sync, everything sounded just fine, up to the second I turned the #4 pilot screw... well more like right when it was about sync'd up with the other 3 cylinders. Made two loud screeches, I immediately turned it off, Then waiting a while, now every time its running it makes the nose, its when its at lower RPMs and pretty steady.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 PM

i feel sick to my stomach just reading about it.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 PM

ok, I maned up and went back outside and made a video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osiM200fjUs

EDIT: It was very odd... after you hear the two SCREECHES, can u notice its like it goes away, and the engine actually sounds like its running smoother after.... im dumbfounded

Last edited by ebinz88cane; 02-23-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebinz. Can you get somebody to turn the crank with a shifter while you listen with the 'scope? This might make it easier to pin down the location of the noise without the exhaust noise. Failing this, pull your plug leads, shut off your fuel and crank it over on the button. It might minimise any more damage is what I'm thinking.

Lets hope it's something simple.

Good luck mate, I feel sick for you too!

Just checked your vid out. My first thought was that it sounded like the rings were trying to bind in one cylinder. It didn't sound fast or constant enough to be bearings. It's f'n hard to know what to suggest to be 100% sure. If you ride it, the damage could be real bad, but it's a ***** to have to pull it apart again. What are your thoughts? If it were mine I'd at least take off the cam cover, then crank it over with the plugs and fuel off. Then it'd have to be off with the barrels. Could be just a hone and rings...still a real ba5tard, but better than blowing the lot. These are just my first, random thoughts and could be complete bull5hit as I'm not a mechanic. Let us know!

Last edited by davethepom; 02-23-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds to me like something didn't get oil.
I'd say it isn't rings, or you'd have lost compression, unless it's an oil ring.
Sounds like a bearing in a fan, or something catching on a moving part, like a fan.....
I hope it's not too serious Ebineezer........

Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Gregg, really sorry to hear your problems with the bike ... I listened to your noises and given the fact they sound half the engine speed leads me to believe it may be valve/cam/camchain related ... remember on a fourstroke they revolve at half engine speed ... maybe tell me exactly what kind of strip down you did and what kind of things you did to get a better idea ... I am not quite as dumb as I look so be quite specific ;-)

Jules

Quick Reply: Absolutely Sick to my Stomach!