CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

89 hurricane vs 96 cbr1000

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 89 hurricane vs 96 cbr1000

Hmm the rear tyre on the bike is a 160/60-17 and according to the calculater the topspeed should be 262km/h.. if I change the rear tyre to the correct one 140/80-17 the calculater shows that the topspeed should be 275km/h..

But I have some problem with slipping clutch, if I run the engine with shell advance the clutch slipps when the engine is warm, but if I run the engine with SBK racing the clutch slipps when itĀ“s cold but not when itĀ“s warm (maybe there is the problem in very high speeds itĀ“s hard to feel the slipping perhaps?) .. but I have changed the springs to heavier and are going to go over to a semi-syntetic oil Bel-Ray EXP 20w/50 the other 2 I tryed is full syntetic oils... iĀ“ll check the clutch visualy this afteroon i think and change the oil to Bel-Ray (itĀ“s time for the oil change anyway)..

Front sprocket: 17
Rear sprocket: 43
Rear tyre: 160/60-17

Old 07-22-2006, 06:57 AM

Hello
When I compare my behaviour on the bike now compared to what I did 10 years ago itĀ“s a big difference.
Now I donĀ“t even dare to test the top speed, 10 years ago I did it almost every day.
What IĀ“m saying is that the diference could be to you as a person not necessarily the bike.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: skruvis

Hmm the rear tyre on the bike is a 160/60-17 and according to the calculater the topspeed should be 262km/h.. if I change the rear tyre to the correct one 140/80-17 the calculater shows that the topspeed should be 275km/h..

But I have some problem with slipping clutch, if I run the engine with shell advance the clutch slipps when the engine is warm, but if I run the engine with SBK racing the clutch slipps when itĀ“s cold but not when itĀ“s warm (maybe there is the problem in very high speeds itĀ“s hard to feel the slipping perhaps?) .. but I have changed the springs to heavier and are going to go over to a semi-syntetic oil Bel-Ray EXP 20w/50 the other 2 I tryed is full syntetic oils... iĀ“ll check the clutch visualy this afteroon i think and change the oil to Bel-Ray (itĀ“s time for the oil change anyway)..

It sounds then as it perhaps is time to replace clutch plates since you already have changed springs without full effect. If the problem remains with the new oil, which I think it will do, you can use the same oil agin after change of clutch plates if that will be done. I had problems to with the clutch to earlier and changed friction plates and springs to harder ones. I then also used Motul 300V full synthetic which is known to be gentle to wet clutches. The oil is overkill, so I now use Biltema full Synthetic Morotcycle Race oil 15W-40 when I have to pour in some more. My bike takes about 1 liter oil in 4000 km's, not a real problem but no need to waste oil for $ 25 per liter either. The Biltema I use cost less than $ 10/liter and works very well on the CBR, no slips and easy to switch gears. Bikes can be very sensitive to oil type/brand if the clutch is weak though. When you check the cluch, measure the thickness of friction plates, If I remember right they should be between 3.75 to 3.90 mm's and the service limit is 3.3 mm. Maybe it help to sand any hard glasing off gently if they are within service limit 3.3 mm, which I think they are. Mine was within new limits, I changed them anyway since I had the new friction plates at home bought from Addemoto. I use standard plates, not the Kevlar type.

Be careful when riding at high speeds, 250 km/h is perhaps more than enough on this heavy bike, and one also has to consider that the braking distance will be far longer than required at some occations.

No problem to understand your english, if you where using your native language- SkƄnska, I would have to hire a proffessional translator and my own spelling includes many mistakes.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: R1000

ORIGINAL: skruvis

But I have some problem with slipping clutch, if I run the engine with shell advance the clutch slipps when the engine is warm, but if I run the engine with SBK racing the clutch slipps when itĀ“s cold but not when itĀ“s warm (maybe there is the problem in very high speeds itĀ“s hard to feel the 1. slipping perhaps?) .. but I have changed the springs to heavier and are going to go over to a semi-syntetic oil Bel-Ray EXP 20w/50 the other 2 I tryed is full syntetic oils... iĀ“ll check the clutch visualy this afteroon i think and change the oil to Bel-Ray (itĀ“s time for the oil change anyway)..

1. It sounds then as it perhaps is time to replace clutch plates since you already have changed springs without full effect. If the problem remains with the new oil, which I think it will do, you can use the same oil agin after change of clutch plates if that will be done. I had problems to with the clutch to earlier and changed friction plates and springs to harder ones. I then also used Motul 300V full synthetic which is known to be gentle to wet clutches. The oil is overkill, so I now use Biltema full Synthetic Morotcycle Race oil 15W-40 when I have to pour in some more. My bike takes about 1 liter oil in 4000 km's, not a real problem but no need to waste oil for $ 25 per liter either. The Biltema I use cost less than $ 10/liter and works very well on the CBR, no slips and easy to switch gears. Bikes can be very sensitive to oil type/brand if the clutch is weak though. When you check the cluch, measure the thickness of friction plates, If I remember right they should be between 3.75 to 3.90 mm's and the service limit is 3.3 mm. Maybe it help to sand any hard glasing off gently if they are within service limit 3.3 mm, which I think they are. Mine was within new limits, I changed them anyway since I had the new friction plates at home bought from Addemoto. I use standard plates, not the Kevlar type.

2. Be careful when riding at high speeds, 250 km/h is perhaps more than enough on this heavy bike, and one also has to consider that the braking distance will be far longer than required at some occations.

3. No problem to understand your english, if you where using your native language- SkƄnska, I would have to hire a proffessional translator and my own spelling includes many mistakes.
1. I check the plates.. I bought my Bel-Ray oil from addemoto for 325skr/4Litres..

2. The problem i sences is probaly related to wrong tire size (160/60 is NOT the right size for this bike.).. to get the bike stable i have to put in 3.1bar to the rear tire and ~2.7bar in the front tire (im little heavy. 95-100kg). little unstability around 250-255.. I missed the tirepressure i think it was in 2004 and drove (tryed) the bike with following pressures - rear 1.5bar - Front 1bar.. and guys that is an adventure trying to reach highspeeds, trust me...

3. lol..

Edit. The inner friction plate is ~3.5mm thick and all other is 3.7-3.8mm thick and the service limits for them all is 3.1mm.. i noticed that steelplates are ~2mm thick all of them.

Edit2: Sydney?

Old 07-22-2006, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: rhino94

Hello
When I compare my behaviour on the bike now compared to what I did 10 years ago itĀ“s a big difference.
Now I donĀ“t even dare to test the top speed, 10 years ago I did it almost every day.
What IĀ“m saying is that the diference could be to you as a person not necessarily the bike.
That's certainly a possibility. After 7 years I was a little rusty, but the bike definitely feels different. I need to check tire pressures before I ride it again. Also, this bike has the "gun fighter and the lady" corbin seat which is much more comfortable than the stock seat on my 88, but I sit a little lower as well which might add to the different steering feeling. The "power race" tires seem to be excellent all around. They don't take much to get warmed up, are not affected by pavement grooves and seem good in the rain. I'm sure they will wear off quickly since most of my riding is in a straight line (Central Illinois = flat) and I'll look for more appropriate tires then.

One thing I like about the cbr is that it's comfortable and will zoom along at 125mph (200kph) feeling like I'm going 55. The FZR1000's I've tried out are powerful and look great, but were less than practical for long distance riding. Bikes like the GSXR1100 have a great engine, but at 45 yrs old the more upright riding position is more comfortable (seems to be same riding position as the older bmw R bikes).

Thanks for all the input

Pat

PS: I probably will make at least one top speed run when I get the chain and sprockets changed, but it doesn't seem to be as big a priority in my life anymore. Though, if my life insurance didn't prohibit and I had the money, I'd love to go back to road racing a GS500E (twins class was blast)

Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 AM

Edit. The inner friction plate is ~3.5mm thick and all other is 3.7-3.8mm thick and the service limits for them all is 3.1mm.. i noticed that steelplates are ~2mm thick all of them.

Where the friction plates fresh or did they look burned? I got the impression that mine was burned, but perhaps they where just contaminated by some unsuitable car oil. Did the Bel Ray oil make the clutch better?

Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 AM

Where the friction plates fresh or did they look burned? I got the impression that mine was burned, but perhaps they where just contaminated by some unsuitable car oil. Did the Bel Ray oil make the clutch better?

The frictionplates looked fresh and i have not testet the clutch yet.. i got sick in my stomach.. been living in the toilet for a few days now..

Old 07-24-2006, 09:39 AM

You must be an awsome swimmer

Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 AM

You must be an awsome swimmer

lol?