CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

88 Hurricane electrical ,stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Hurricane electrical ,stumped

Hey guys here is my problem
when the ignition is turned on the tachometer goes to 7000 rpm,the battery reads 8.5 volts (when i put a meter on it) ,
The bike starts and runs fine until the battery cant generate enough spark then it bogs and dies.Takes a few minuets

so far i have changed the stater, rectifier, starter solenoid.
checked all the harness as best i can .
Now i am pretty sure it is a short. when the kill switch is used the tachometer drops to 0 this is the only thing i have been able to find that stops the tachometer from reading 7000,traced it to the black and white wire at the starter/kill connector to the harness .but when i disconnect it the bike wont start (presume that is the kill )

i would like to hot wire and bypass as much of the instrument cluster or the starter switch setup as i can ,
any ideas would be very much appropriated as this my only mode of transport
thanks

Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 AM

First thing is first! get rid of that crappy battery. If your only reading 8.5 volts I honestly have no clue how you are starting the bike at all. you should be hovering around 12.7 - 13 volts. Your bike is dying because these charging systems on our bike (unlike a cars) only generate electricity above 3k RPM. (higher than our idle speed) therefore your bike quickly eats up what little power is available in the battery.

About your tach not working.
The way this tach works is it gets it's "information" from your left coil (cylinders 1 & 4) Through the Yellow wire with blue stripe. I'm willing to bet that you shorted the wire against one with a constant current, thus giving you a constant 7k RPM reading. Since you said that cutting the killswitch drops the RPM reading i'm willing to bet it's shorted against that wire after the switch (Black with white stripe).
Go over your wiring harness and make sure there are no pinched wired. Actually cut open the black electrical tape too, none of this pussyfootin business. These two wires meet at both your left coil and at your spark box, so these would be good spots to check out. I'm not sure what the symptoms of a failing coil are, but if your wiring is good it might be something to look into.

Also check out the wiring diagram that CorruptFile colored in. It makes it alot easier finding wires on the diagram
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-...-color-144273/

Old 07-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming this is a Hurricane 1000 so have moved it here - you'll get more responses

And 8.5 V on the battery when it's switched on - NOT GOOD -your battery will never start the bike with less than around 12-12.5V. Either charge it fully or buy a new one.

It does sound like you have a short somewhere.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 PM

when my regulator/rectifier went out and it started draining my battery the tach would jump up to about 7k or so with the key on but motor off once the voltage on the battery got too low to start so that would explain the tach. Once I replaced my r/r and my battery stays where it's suppose to it's not done it since. Have you checked the voltage at all points? (alternator, then wires going into the r/r, then the red wire going from the r/r, then again the red wire at the starter relay) Mine would show voltage jumping like it was suppose to at the red wire but wasn't charging my battery, ended up being the starter relay so I just ran the red wire directly to the battery. It won't mess anything up as the starter relay switch doesn't regulate the voltage going to the battery. Also if you don't properly ground out the r/r it'll fry it. Had accidentally taken the ground wire loose on mine and didn't notice. It's chassis is the ground so if you bolt it directly to the frame it should ground it out but I had relocated mine and had a ground wire ran just to make sure it was grounded good, but because it wasn't grounded due to my mistake it fried it in about a day or less and I got stranded the next day while I was out riding. I would check the voltage before and after the r/r, if you're getting a jump in voltage at the red wire when you gas it then I would run it directly to the battery. But like Zachy72 and Shadow said I would charge or replace the battery first. Hope this helps ya, just keep us updated

Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My fellow Jackeen - split open the harness up around the the triple / fork area and
check there for cracked or chaffed wires & moisture