CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1994 cbr 1000 f info ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
my bike runs fine without an air box. it just runs lean up top, which will be remedied by putting in my bigger jets. you guys also have no clue how cool it sounds when the floats open up when you hit about 7000 RPM.

i am unsure if i am even going to put filters on it, as bad as that sounds. i dont know if i can get any to fit on the carbs without having to put an adapter on them anyway because the gas tank sits so close to them. ill have to take pictures when i get everything finalized and let everyone know what size jets i end up running.

either way, it can be done and telling people you cant is kind of ignorant.
QUOTEi just bought the same exact bike
Ignorant ??
I wonder who's ignorant here-
Who's running a bike without filters ?
Whose going to put bigger jets in a bike that is already overjetted, and bog it down at lower revs to fix a top end problem ?
I put it to you that if you've never run your bike with the correct airfilters, that you don't know how well it can run.
I'd guarantee you that my standard filtered bike will idle better, pull better and give me better accelleration than any bike that hasn't been extensively tuned to run with pod filters.
Ignorant ? Pffft !
I'd say further that you don't have the knowledge about these bikes to make those kind of comments. If you'd take the trouble to find and read the EXTENSIVE posts on this subject here on the forum you will see that what I tell you is correct. When you've had your bike running for more than a couple of weeks, maybe you'll learn something. When you've raced your bike like many of our members, and who discount the idea of pod filters except under really unusual circumstances, maybe you'll be in a position to make a sensible assessment.
When you know something, you may have the right to call others ignorant, till then..........................

Last edited by Shadow; 05-04-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive searched the subject many times on here and have come up with nothing concrete about being able to do it or not. im not saying i am right or wrong, but what fun is owning the bike if you can't play with it a little?

i know how well they run. if i want to ride a stock one ill borrow my fathers '87. ive been on these bikes since ive began riding, hense why i bought one of them. i love these bikes, what they represent, and how they deliver power and comfort at the same time.

all im getting at is that you guys all keep saying 'it can't be done' or 'you don't' when that is just giving misinformation. if at some point i come to the conclusion that yes, it needs some type of restriction in the intake in order to run well, then ill agree with you. but until then, ill do my own thing and prove you wrong. it makes absolutely no sense that you physically can't do it. my bike idles fine, it rides fine at light throttle, and then opens up a giant can of worms when you grab a hand full. EXACTLY how i want it.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have your opinion, I have mine. No problem with that.

I do however object to being told that my advice is ignorant.
When you can prove me wrong, fine (which you won't be able to do) you will have the right to comment.
Don't ever refer to me as ignorant again, or you and I will have words.

And if you haven't found what I'm suggesting you look for, then go and look again.
I found it in under 5 minutes.
You can do whatever you want to your bike, I couldn't care less.

No-one said you can't do it - what I'm saying is that the amount of work involved in changing the jets and fitting pods isn't worth it in terms of what you will gain. These bikes run best with a cool airflow through the ducted system into the side fairings, and then into the airbox. Without the ducting you'll get hotter air than the bike is happy with which will adversely affect your performance. Turbulent air is not something these bikes enjoy.
You want faster, drop 1 tooth on the front and go up two on the rear sprockets. That'll give you way more fun than messing for hours with your carbs, to no advantage.

I could care less, but if someone asks for advice on a subject I know well, I will offer it.
You don't like it, entirely up to you.
Do what you want, but don't tell people what you don't know and can't prove.

vl5150
Default RE: Jets needed
I've done K&N pods on 2 of my other "Naked" bikes (ZRX1100 and ZR750 "Zephyr"). The main jet increase is dramatic. Mains went up from 95's to 130's.

I would not recommend pods on the CBR1000F because of the enclosed bodywork. You would be sending superheated air into the engine. Also your needle profile would be all wrong.

Default RE: Jets needed
+1 vl5150 regarding the hot air going into the pod style filters. The factory intakes are ducted to the sides of the bike and take in much cooler air.

Last edited by Shadow; 05-04-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my opinion , ain't no way I'm going to run my bike unfiltered or podded because
it's a fact they run like shyte that way. No being ignorant either it's just the way it is
plain and simple and anything contrary is pure BS !

Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 PM

i dont want to start a fight here and i completely agree with what you guys are saying. from my experiences with motors is that i just dont care about intake temperatures. whether it be ambient temperatures or 120 degree temperatures going into the intake, id rather it have the ability to flow whatever it wants. turbulent air or not, it's going to suck air in and turbulent air helps with proper fuel atomization anyway. i learned very well that a restrictive intake does not match up with an open intake that outflows the other, regardless of intake temperatures IF TUNED PROPERLY. assuming that i just took my air box off, threw it away, and started riding it without doing a little tuning would make me an idiot. im not saying you're right, but im also not saying you're wrong. i will have my little play time, experiment, and figure out what i want to know for myself.

as far as the rediculous amount of jetting changes goes, that's why i opted to spend a little money on the front end and buy a wideband o2 gauge. this way i KNOW what AFR im running all the time and will take a ton of guess work out of making it run where i want it.

i also didn't say that the gains wouldn't be minimal, but another 5 whp out of something that is this light makes a lot of difference in comparison to a car. all i'm looking for is something that i enjoy to ride day in and day out and so far im succeeding very well.

you all prefer your bikes in close to stock form, but i'd rather push the limit a little bit with it to see where i can go with it. maybe it won't go anywhere, but i'd rather try and say i did it instead of just taking all of your suggestions as 100% fact. either way, to each his own.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM

well then this brings us back to your previously general statement in aforementioned post
my bike runs fine without an air box
I'd say we have a difference of opinion here and I'd say it was in the context of a
generality relative to running without an airbox so Hey ....no dice I'm not going for it !

Old 05-04-2010, 04:43 PM

gevans (who started this thread) if you wish to run the bike with pods or no airbox please feel free to do so. You will spend extra money on a wideband o2 sensor and jetting to get it to run close to what it would with the stock airbox. Simply adding a k&n filter will improve the flow for a lot less money. The statement "motors is that I just don’t care about intake temperatures" directly contradicts scientific fact. Air temperature directly relates to air density. That means that if the air is cooler it will be denser which means for a given volume of air you will get more o2 with cooler air. Numerous professional drag racers will tell you simply putting a bag of ice on a car intake before a run will improve performance. Some even run their intakes to the inside of the cabin to get cool dry air. i don't think anyone here believes getting less air will improve performance but getting more air in a destructive way such as running no filter at all will cost you now to get it tuned and later rebuilding because of all the damage the dirty air will cause to both the carbs and engine. most of the people on this board simply love these bikes and will try and keep you from doing anything that will hurt the bikes but will at the same time be more than willing to share their experience in improving performance

Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM

i know cooler air is denser. i didn't say that it wasn't. having a higher flowing setup that pulls in hotter air has its' diminishing gains at some point. will the bike run worse in really hot, summer weather? probably, but i'm willing to take a bet that it will run like a raped ape in cooler weather in the spring and fall.

either way, i enjoy how its' running now, but we'll see if its worth my effort in the end.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Simply adding a k&n filter will improve the flow for a lot less money.
Guess what's sitting on my coffee table in front of me ??? just arrived from an ebay bid ! a K&N HA - 1087 .....lol ........ 32 bucks all in